UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Question

MBll

I would (and have) travel hundreds of miles to rehome a dog that needed me, but I would not take it on public transport because I agree that it would be stressful for the poor mite and that could turn it into an unknown quantity. Could you possibly hire a car and drive there and back or do you not drive (in which case would a kindly friend drive you there is you pay petrol)? :flowers:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to be honest peeps geting a pet is abig commitment as i dont know anything on this dog & i feel im being rushed into a descion of taking him without taking time & asking questions etc.

This might not go down well with some but its better to take time then to rush it ....& what iv been told about this rescue they will tell you anything so long as they get your money ...no homechecks, vet checks etc :glare:

madmerle...im on my own here on this one lol train is not ideal but thats it

Your right not to rush into anything, but are you sure you even want a dog? Were you looking for one before your friend told you about Sam (who is so cute by the way, I agree with Jacky that he wont be looking for a home for long I imagine)

Maybe you should wait untill your totally sure you can commit to a dog, especially a rescue? :flowers:

Edited by bebe

The furthest one of my dogs went is Germany. The lady is a friend of mine and I knew the dog would be very well looked after. Plus, the dog is a Lurcher, a breed which is virtually impossible to rehome here in Ireland.

I have had peeps from the UK and Scotland coming over to meet and collect their dogs (after being HCed first, of course). I can see nothing wrong with long distance rehoming :).

Sarah

most dogs will be crated when travelling by car, or at least seperated from the driver they certainly will be crated on a plane. On a train there is a lot of hands on, and lots of people who the dog will not have a chance to hide from. I once took my dog on a train, and she did not enjoy it at all, I would not do it again if I had a choice.

Are there no rescues closer to you? Maybe even a more reputable one :wink: ??

I have never send a dog by plane and wouldn't do it. My dogs travel in an open van (no seperatoin board between back of van and driver) to the UK (crated), the Lurcher went to Germany in the same van :).

As to your question about the train, I would be wary of that as you don't know the dog and vice versa. It could be all well and fine but the dog could also take a fright etc. and snap at a fellow passenger for example.

Sarah

If its the same rescue and I think it is, they rehomed a dog that had been returned twice to an elderly couple. They could not manage the dog it pulled the man over. They also ask for money if you take the dog back. Like you say also no homechecks.

Re the OP;

Having read recently about the Sloughi, rescued in Spain and being rehomed after a considerable amout of tlc, to a family in Germany. The time and distance in comparison to the end result holds little significance.

Good luck with finding your forever friend. When you're ready :flowers: