UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Puppy Or Rescue?

liz.pawz

Hi all,

not sure if this is the right place. We currently vol for Pawz, fab rescue, anyway since our vol work we find ourselves with a small pack; 2 yorkies, 1 old girl medium (already had these before vol work) then along came a few in foster but 2 we kept mini poodle and sitsue - (can never spell the breed but not to worry - we felt she had far too much bagage to be re-homed and we love her eventhough she barks and growls at any new visitor - but getting there) Before this smaller dog carry on we always had large dogs, Lab, Rottie, German sheperd, (all passed away with our broken hearts to proove it). We are moving house this month and once settled we are considering another addition to our pack of 5. The addition would be a larger dog as we miss this sooooo much. However we are very very worried about taking on an adult large dog as the little dogs may be at risk, we know all of the crate and training stuff but are frightend to be honest of risking any possible adult dogs possible placement and, of course our small one's saftey. We are putting the feelers out now but it maybe 2-5 months before we can offer a home. Can anyone advise as to whether we should take a puppy (never ever had a pup before but know the theory) or rescue (always had these). We are simply looking for a larger dog or bitch, preferabley bitch we think, that may intergrate into our established 5 of dogs, ages 12, 5, 4, 2 and 18 months (Had the latter since May last year and what a life; she is the baby and would need the most time adjusting)

Sorry to waffle and thanks for reading

Hi Liz,

I got my adorable Rottie girl as a rescue from Lizzie Barn last July - she was 10 weeks old - She fitted in wonderfully with my other two (staffy bitch 6yrs and staffyxlab male 2 years) - there are so many larger dogs/puppies (and crosses) in rescue now of all ages - so I am sure you will find one that will slip into your pack with ease.

I always had the other worry - mine are all large (except my staffie who just THINKS she's large!!) but they were gentle as anything when we've fostered smaller and/or younger dogs/puppies.

The large rescue dog (or pup) of your dreams is out there - trust me! Good luck :flowers:

Lynn

Hi thanks for your replys so far, we are in sunderland - but anxious about a puppy and feel some guilt - as we have always adopted older dogs, but worried a larger older dog may be at and a risk to our smaller ones

At the moment we are just putting our feelers out as would not consider until after house move and environmet stabel - we are moving to weardale area and would be willing to travel for right dog.

thanks again

ever thought of a retired greyhound :rolleyes: :biggrin: you can get them from various ages and their are LOTS desperate for homes, although they are big, they are very loving and gentle and curl up into the smallest balls of fur :biggrin: they are lazy and so so loyal...you will never look back :biggrin:

ever thought of a retired greyhound :rolleyes: :biggrin: you can get them from various ages and their are LOTS desperate for homes, although they are big, they are very loving and gentle and curl up into the smallest balls of fur :biggrin: they are lazy and so so loyal...you will never look back :biggrin:

Hi there thanks, we have had a greyhound before, but not sure with the smaller ones, how an older one may get one, we also have a cat :wacko:

I have large fully grown rotties and take in lots of small dogs,rescues and boarders,and have never had any trouble between the two sizes. Bigger breeds are sometimes more easy going than the smaller ones especially rotties.I think it depends on the temperament of the particular dog you look at but a big adult should fit in fine if it is gentle and kind. Good luck. x

I wouldn't worry about sizes. Providing you go to a reputable rescue they will have a good idea of their dogs' temperaments. To put your mind at rest I had a Yorkie for 17 and a half years. In that time we took in a few rescues. JRT to start with and then large gun dogs. She was always the boss and they were very good with her and gentle.

Hi there thanks, we have had a greyhound before, but not sure with the smaller ones, how an older one may get one, we also have a cat :wacko:

We took in Peggie (greyhound) straight from her trainer (she was going to be killed if not :angry: ) she now lives with a medium sized 15 year old cross, another 6 year old grey, a cat and a rabbit who runs freely around the house and garden :biggrin: it can be done :biggrin: and as you already know then, they are the most loving and rewarding dogs :biggrin: ...not that Im biased :rolleyes: good luck either way :flowers: