UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Why Do We Do This?

dognabbit

Thankfully I've never been to a KFC. I was a vegetarian for nearly ten years between the ages of 13 and 22 but I started to eat meat again when I was pregnant with Emily. So I've been a meat eater for another seven years but recently I've eaten less and less meat. I don't think I'll give it up completely but I'd say I've cut at least 80% of it from my diet. On the whole the meat I do eat now is of a better quality, locally produced if possible. There are various things going wrong with my body at the moment and it's making me re-evaluate everything I eat which can only be a good thing.

I don't think people realise this is how a lot of our food is kept and killed!

I haven't eaten meat for over 25 years and to be honest had pushed these images to the back of my mind. Seeing them reminded me why I don't eat meat!

There's a new programme starting on BBC 3 called Kill it, cook it, eat it. Not sure I want to watch but I feel I ought to..............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/programmes/kill_it/

I have not watched the link (it is very early and I am already forcing my breakfast down as it is lol) but what I don't understand is, if people are so horrified and genuinly want to change things, why not eat organic meat instead of stopping altogether? Surely the more people who switch to organic (where, at least here in Denmark there are strict rules for animal welfare) more animals would have a better life?

I am not saing nobody should become a vegetarian, it is obviously a personal choice, but those who like meat, just not the way it is treated while still breathing?

i do eat meat-and frankly in this day & age with the variety of fruit/veg/pulses & meat available-there is no need to factory farm in this way.

i eat organic meat-due to cost i eat less of it-simple

fee

I have not watched the link (it is very early and I am already forcing my breakfast down as it is lol) but what I don't understand is, if people are so horrified and genuinly want to change things, why not eat organic meat instead of stopping altogether? Surely the more people who switch to organic (where, at least here in Denmark there are strict rules for animal welfare) more animals would have a better life?

I am not saing nobody should become a vegetarian, it is obviously a personal choice, but those who like meat, just not the way it is treated while still breathing?

I don't know Anne, but I agree if people want to eat meat, looking for a source which is "better" farmed, is preferable to eating factory farmed meat by a long way. I don't like the thought of eating an animal, no matter how it was farmed, but I don't expect everyone to feel the same.

Sadly much, if not all, of the meat used in pet food will not be farmed from the best sources I'm sure and that's my one "guilt" about owning pet dogs. I could feed them a veggie dried food, but don't want to, - and I'm not in a position to feed them a home cooked meat or veggie based died, which excludes factory farmed food, quite yet.

I'm not squeamish but I only got as far as the "debeaking" bit on the video. I can't watch any more of it :crying_anim: . I haven't eaten meat for over a year, but chicken was one of the last meats I gave up eating. What did it for me was a television programme that showed why some chickens on the supermarket shelves have "burn" marks on their legs, apparently it's because they've been sitting in their own urine for long periods of time.

I remember when I was a child how chicken for Sunday dinner was a luxury. It was quite expensive in those days because the animals were treated properly. Nowadays, due to humans' greed, we have found ways of producing meat cheaply so that people can satisfy their greed without paying the price. I firmly believe that one day we will pay the price, and I don't mean money. Nature has a way of getting even.

I remember when I was a child how chicken for Sunday dinner was a luxury. It was quite expensive in those days because the animals were treated properly. Nowadays, due to humans' greed, we have found ways of producing meat cheaply so that people can satisfy their greed without paying the price. I firmly believe that one day we will pay the price, and I don't mean money. Nature has a way of getting even.

I really think you are right , things like foot and mouth, mad cow disease and bird flu are in my mind the result of intensive and unnatural methods of "farming" and warnings from nature that we are on the wrong path

when you can buy a ready cooked chicken in a supermarket for under £ 3 there is a very small profit margin for every one involved in the chain of "production" and animal welfare is very low on everyones list. Chickens are pumped full of medicines to stop them dying because the conditions are dreadful and unnatural conditions to make them grow so quickly that at the end of there miserable 6 week existence many cannot stand

Ange, I really know what you mean about the guilt of feeding pet food. I have tried my dogs on veggie food and they would not eat it. I do where possible cook them food myself from ethical sources, I think the biggest problem to me is that ethically farmed organic food is sent to the same slaughter houses as mass produced factory farming meat ( if anyone knows of organic meat that is slaughtered humanly please let me know )

Viva have excellent articles on there website

http://www.viva.org.uk/campaigns/slaughter/index.htm

http://www.viva.org.uk/campaigns/chickens/...erfactsheet.htm

Sadly much, if not all, of the meat used in pet food will not be farmed from the best sources I'm sure and that's my one "guilt" about owning pet dogs.

Burns don't use intensively reared or factory farmed meat in their food and even the fish used is not factory farmed :flowers:

Burns don't use intensively reared or factory farmed meat in their food and even the fish used is not factory farmed :flowers:

I do use Burns ( for that reason ) , but I don't know if the animals are slaughtered in a slaughter house that also deals with mass farmed animals ( as the way they slaughter animals is the same )

I shall ask them at Crufts next week

I agree with Fee and Anne for sure. I do eat meat still, but little and thriftily as I buy organic. For example I will cook a whole organic chicken today for me and mum, but I will eat the chicken for the next 4 days probably and use the carcass to make soup/stock. I try never to buy portions of chicken, rather to buy one bird and use it all. And, to be honest we don't eat much chicken, when we do eat meat it tends to be mutton (if we can get hold of it) beef or fish.

I think chickens get the shittest deal, then pigs then cows then sheep (IMHO obviously!)

I agree that people do need to be educated about this, and I think its good that the BBC and other main-stream things have picked it up (Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's TV stuff etc.) This way I think the message will get through to more people. Often the methods of education I have encountered have been interwoven with the AR movement, which I suppose it is in essence, but I sometimes think that the hard-core AR stuff is too much for the general public to cope with (like that Jeremy Vine debate t'other day) and so they walk away or switch off. This to me is *welfare* issue and if the mainstream media have picked this up then the message will be seen as more balanced and believable.

At the end of the day though, it comes down to economics for a lot of people. If you can feed your family for less when you have to stretch every pay packet then the intensive farming will win over. We are lucky that we can afford to be choosy, even if we eat less of it, and we are lucky that we can spin meat out when we have it.

It goes back to that 14yr old again, no home-economics lessons/culture of cooking = lazy cooking/no cooking =bad food choices = potential obestity and health problems.

Edited by wickychoo