UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ok - Obedience Competitions

sanrossscot

Ted. got his letters! :elefant:

Clever Bear Teddy won his 2nd beginners class today so has now qualified out and into Novice and he got his KC letters: Beginner Ex. :biggrin:

7th in Novice which I was really pleased about as he knocked the dumbell out of his mouth on present in recall so was really chuffed with a lovely day in the sunshine.

Oh and no, he hasn't stopped talking about it yet :laugh:

beg2.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ted. got his letters! :elefant:

Clever Bear Teddy won his 2nd beginners class today so has now qualified out and into Novice and he got his KC letters: Beginner Ex. :biggrin:

7th in Novice which I was really pleased about as he knocked the dumbell out of his mouth on present in recall so was really chuffed with a lovely day in the sunshine.

Oh and no, he hasn't stopped talking about it yet :laugh:

beg2.jpg

WOW! Well done you guys, joined us in Novice & A now. Mind you as I have not entered any shows yet- you will be way ahead of me. :laugh: :laugh:

Think we'll save A for next year - Ted's still to get the hang of all these dropped hankies, he races to get to them and then forgets which one he's supposed to bring back :wacko: All tips appreciated!

Well as you will not be able to enter any more beginners, enter A and use them for training, getting used to not being able to talk etc - you don't have to do scent after all. Will also get you & Ted used to stays out of sight. :)

Thank You - what a good idea. Be interesting to see the comments on the heelwork too at that standard.

Stays out of sight :ohno01: . Off lead, out of sight stays, and scent - mmm, Novice classes are sounding like something to relax about!! :laugh: Think I'm going to enjoy them now after that little reminder of what lies ahead :)

Edited by reds

Thank You - what a good idea. Be interesting to see the comments on the heelwork too at that standard.

Stays out of sight :ohno01: . Off lead, out of sight stays, and scent - mmm, Novice classes are sounding like something to relax about!! :laugh: Think I'm going to enjoy them now after that little reminder of what lies ahead :)

My pleasure - join the scary place with me!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I am so proud of my baby!

It was the double Loughborough show this weekend and Teddy won his 3rd Beginners class and came 2nd the day before. It was one of his last ever beginner classes but what made it really special is that he was rock solid in stays despite the pouring rain and muddy ground. For Ted. to work in the rain and to do his stays (as well as Novice stays) is cheese grin time :thumbsup_anim: . I was so so proud of him and he did a good Novice round too losing more marks from noise (whining and barking through excitement) than anything else!

He got a 2nd in Novice last weekend Sandra so I may be brave and train some A's this year! Just got to curb the barking but I am sp pleased with him for working in the rain - he normally hates being close when I've got wet trousers on :laugh:

And he got his picture taken! Go to www.obedienceuk.com Go to Out and About on the contents page and click on Loughborough DTC 21/05/06.

If you click on Loughborough DTC 20/05/06 you can also see one of the increasing number of staffies that are now competing and doing really well :)

Glad to be home and dry now though.

Well done :biggrin:

Just a slight question - why do you lose marks if they are squeaking and whining through excitement? Surely that means the dog is enjoying itself and is much more positive than a dog who is doing what it is told, but is flat and quiet because it knows that it'll get into trouble if it doesn't do it?

Well done :biggrin:

Just a slight question - why do you lose marks if they are squeaking and whining through excitement? Surely that means the dog is enjoying itself and is much more positive than a dog who is doing what it is told, but is flat and quiet because it knows that it'll get into trouble if it doesn't do it?

There speaks a flyball person.

Pam

Interesting question. To be fair Ted. does tend to over do the 'vocal displays of excitement'! In pre-B's and beginners judges don't tend to mark noise as they want to encourage newbies and as you say, they would rather have a dog enjoying itself than one that is simply going through the motions. Would need a more experienced person to answer but I presume it's seen as the dog not being fully controlled???

Ted. would be the perfect flyball dog - he makes all the noise of a flyball team just over seeing another dog retrieve! - shame he can't catch really :rolleyes: Out of concern, do you guys have regular hearing tests? :biggrin:

Gooster, it is seen as a fault in the higher classes to be noisy :rolleyes: I think it is regarded as 'lack of control' or distracting to other dogs.

TBH some judges are very 'nit-picky' in Obedience at the moment so it's just as well I go for fun and to meet up with other peeps for lunch! :laugh: :laugh:

Going to a show in Wales tomorrow. First time in Novice only so it really will be for fun and meeting up with friends for lunch! Ted. discovered a new way to do flat stays on Monday. For the first time in his entire life, he rolled during the duration of his flat/down stay, and I mean REALLY roll - I had to go back to him to stop him disturbing others. Never done it before and I have no idea why. Went to a companion show last night and he had a quick roll onto his back again before going back to the 'normal' postion. It is so true that they always come up with something to throw you! Oh and I seem to have completely forgotten where I put my feet on right turns :wacko: . Will let you know if we manage to keep the noises to inbetween exercises tomorrow!

Speaking of picky judges, one of Ted's training pals lost marks for jumping up and making contact with the dumbell when his owner went to pick it up off the table. This was inbetween the exercises and she had literally just picked it up ready to work when he jumped after it and touched it with his mouth. You're not supposed (I thought) to be marked for anything in between the set pieces (i.e. when the dog is not actually 'working') but she got docked a whole point before she had even turned to face the steward :huh: !

And we keep going!