UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ok - Obedience Competitions

sanrossscot

:ohmy: You'd think judges could find enough thing to mark without that!!!

We might try and aim for a place this year - in anything!! Mind you they got rossettes in the fun show we went to just before I put them in the kennels for two weeks, I hop they don't think that will happen each time! :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question. To be fair Ted. does tend to over do the 'vocal displays of excitement'! In pre-B's and beginners judges don't tend to mark noise as they want to encourage newbies and as you say, they would rather have a dog enjoying itself than one that is simply going through the motions. Would need a more experienced person to answer but I presume it's seen as the dog not being fully controlled???

Ted. would be the perfect flyball dog - he makes all the noise of a flyball team just over seeing another dog retrieve! - shame he can't catch really :rolleyes: Out of concern, do you guys have regular hearing tests? :biggrin:

Ah right thanks :) That was one thing I didn't really like about obedience - Charliegoo is so enthusiastic about everything, he used to squeak and whine whilst doing heelwork which people used to frown upon :huh:

For BFA flyball, the ability to catch isn't quite as important as it is for crufts, as the box design is different. Eddie can't catch to save his life (and if the ball comes out at a funny angle, he just abandons it :rolleyes: )

Bad thing: Before today Ted. broke his stays at the last 3 shows

Good thing: We worked after stays so had 3 shows where we could train the rounds in the ring - really useful

Great thing: Teddy won his first Novice today at Shotton in a really busy class :elefant: :elefant:

Every cloud has a silver lining :)

I love my little Teddy Bear :wub:

Bad thing: Before today Ted. broke his stays at the last 3 shows

Good thing: We worked after stays so had 3 shows where we could train the rounds in the ring - really useful

Great thing: Teddy won his first Novice today at Shotton in a really busy class :elefant: :elefant:

Every cloud has a silver lining :)

I love my little Teddy Bear :wub:

:circle: Well done you guys!!!!! (mutter, mutter, spit :angry: )

You will definately need to practise in A now :D

• 5 weeks later...

It is great to read this thread as my own experience of obedience was very negative and it is good to see you guys can actually have a laugh!

I entered my dog in a beginners' class at a fun dog show and stepped into the ring totally unaware that the judge was intent on treating it like a Crufts final. Had I been prepared for this when I filled in my entry, it would not have been so bad. As it was, I was made to feel so stupid, I vowed not to bother again!

Firstly, I am slightly dyslexic and really struggle visualising diagrams, angles etc. The first thing I was told was what route to take around the ring for the heelwork, based on a diagram on the judge's clipboard! I asked him to repeat his instructions and got a look that said 'you total :wacko: ' I explained that I had entered the class to make up numbers / support the rescue / give my dog a bit of a training session and had realy no ambitions to win, so would he mind giving me verbal instructions too (I said I was dyslexic)

Well, to be fair, he did tell me when to turn etc, but at the end, he called me over and gave me a step by step account of our heelwork. Again, had someone explained how seriously it would all have been taken, I may have reacted a bit better. As it was, I just felt that given the circumstances, he was being rather officious to say the least. At the end I smiled and thanked him for his time, especially as it was actually raining quite heavily. Did I get a smile back? No chance!

I realise competitive obedience is a serious business for some, but please, if any of you are planning to use local fun shows to promote your sport, bear in mind that this is the first taste of obedience competitions for many people and having someone on hand to explain the procedure and the rationale behind the exercises for the complete beginners would be really good, especially when the happy, jolly people pushing the entry forms on the door try to make us sign up for everything!

I've since done more research and spoken to people whose experiences have been more positive. It seems to be a great way to have fun with your dog and it is something I am trying to promote through our rescue website (see other thread) But I would hate someone else to have such a humourless, patronising introduction as I had!

at the end, he called me over and gave me a step by step account of our heelwork.

Oooh - I really, really hate that. It's so patronising.

On the odd occasion that I venture into Obedience, I don't give a stuff what the judge thinks or tells me I should do with my dog.

I can take advice but not from someone who doesn't know me or my dog.

Pam

Oooh - I really, really hate that. It's so patronising.

On the odd occasion that I venture into Obedience, I don't give a stuff what the judge thinks or tells me I should do with my dog.

I can take advice but not from someone who doesn't know me or my dog.

Pam

If you don't want to hear what the judge says - just say 'thanks' and then walk out. Some judges will just say where you lost most to give you an idea what to work on, others will try and give advice - some i take on board others i just ignore :D

Kanie :ohmy: not surprised that would put you off. Some judges are v serious others are lovely. Most rounds in obedience are 'called' by a steward so you don't need written instructions :)

I was put off obedience competitions when the steward had a go at me because Charliegoo bolted from the ring back to the car because something spooked him- she asked if we had ever done any training before, and was surprised when I told her that our trainer has done obedience at crufts with her dogs, so yes, she did know what she was doing. This was the bottom class at a fun dog show, and I walked out of the ring feeling totally deflated and upset. The judge on the other hand was nicer and told me that when he was a bit older, his confidence would improve and he'd be much better. Still never entered another one though :rolleyes:

I was put off obedience competitions when the steward had a go at me because Charliegoo bolted from the ring back to the car because something spooked him- she asked if we had ever done any training before, and was surprised when I told her that our trainer has done obedience at crufts with her dogs, so yes, she did know what she was doing. This was the bottom class at a fun dog show, and I walked out of the ring feeling totally deflated and upset. The judge on the other hand was nicer and told me that when he was a bit older, his confidence would improve and he'd be much better. Still never entered another one though :rolleyes:

Jeez that can happen with any dog. I have vivid recollections of a top handler who has also judged the Obed Champ at crufts trying to catch her dog when it went for a lap of honour round ALL the rings at a dog show!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you don't want to hear what the judge says - just say 'thanks' and then walk out. Some judges will just say where you lost most to give you an idea what to work on, others will try and give advice - some i take on board others i just ignore :D

I have resorted to legging it out of the ring sharpish so they don't get a chance to catch me.

I do actually know what I need to do, I just don't care enough to put in the work.

I don't need to be told that I need to sharpen my turns, get my footwork right and stop sticking my bum out on right and about turns - I know.

i have worked obediance competetively-now as i own hounds-i dont :laugh:

but most judges in the lower classes want you to enjoy it-and come back-otherwise the sport will die.

i stewarded last weekend for beginners-and i like to think that everyone had a good time-and as for those dogs that were playing about-as the judge/steward you can always find something positive to say from a lovely present, to he was watching the dumbell so intently!

i am amazed that someone was shown the diagram-thats not right-there should be a steward to give the person oral commands-when to turn, stop, begin & end the exercise.

fee

• 3 weeks later...

Too Pleased to say much else but:

TEDDY WON OUT OF NOVICE TODAY :biggrin: :bigskip: (at North West Kent)

When he's naughty he's oh so naughty but when he's good, he's good!!! :biggrin:

On the not so good side I had to pass a terrible terrible (looked certainly fatal) accident on the M1 on the way home. Awful scene :(

• 2 weeks later...