UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ok - Obedience Competitions

sanrossscot

:D Well, even though I'm feeling pretty lonely in here I will try to describe the Obedience world from my eyes. :blink:

You can start with Companion Shows - these are usually fundraisers and will be combined breed/fun and obedience classes. There can be as many classes as the organiers has judges for but examples will be:

Starters - never done anything

Elementary - competed but never won a rossette/placed

Beginners - competed and won/placed in beg/pre beg

Novice - competing up to Novice in open shows

Advanced - anyone can enter

ABC - anything but a collie can enter

The names may change from show to show and also what you have to do. The most basic class may not require you to even have your dog off lead and is a great way to start off. You will find a mixture of standards as with all companion show classes.

TO BE CONTINUED..........(i'm at work B) )

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i've learnt something already, never knew they did ABC at Obedience shows :D -is this newish? :unsure:

Don't know Lindsay, I know they have the class at a couple of the the fun/companion shows near me. It may depend on the imagination of the organisor of the show and how many judges they can find!! :lol: They don't have it at the 'proper' ie Open/Champ shows though.

Don't know Lindsay, I know they have the class at a couple of the the fun/companion shows near me. It may depend on the imagination of the organisor of the show and how many judges they can find!! :lol: They don't have it at the 'proper' ie Open/Champ shows though.

It's a good idea, I guess if they have it in agility, why not obedience :D

Well I just have to add Ted's then! :lol: Still in beginners due to mother's nerves and (ahem) broken stays when it really really counts :rolleyes: But I love him and love the training and it's a game for long term so hopefully practice makes perfect :) And he (sorry, WE) did only start training Jan '05). Edited to add: KC Gold - that's impressive - we stopped at bronze :lol:

tedtrop2.jpg

Tia hasn't done the KC stuff - she's fear agg so wouldn't pass!

Stays - TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! That win was about the only time she did stays last year, and that win put her me and keira out of beginners for ever and aever and ever!!!

OK I promised a continuation of the Obedience Comps, but I'm going to cheat. This link should take you to the website for Obedience UK which has an excellent starters guide to competitions!

ObedienceUK

The main website is: www.obedienceuk.com and this has forums for chatting and also a newbie forum where you can ask training questions.

• 2 months later...
If I was to enter Kody in Pre-beginners what things might we be asked to do?

Pre- Beginners has Heel on lead, Heel free, Recall, 1 min sit and 2 min down stays. The stays are in sight and often you will be able to face your dog or stand sidewise to them in the ring.

The heelwork is usually very straightforward sometimes with a halt part way through.

:flowers: Hope this helps

Thank you I shall enter her in one and see what happens! :unsure:

GOOD LUCK!! :flowers: Oh and remember to try and enjoy it - You ALWAYS take the best dog home!!

If you want more show tips either ask here or check out www.obedienceuk.com which is a friendly site and has a good tips for starting thing on the front page. :)

hi i do ob ,

this is a good sit to have a read off

http://www.obedienceuk.com/book/page0.htm

Pre-Beginners

Exercises

Notes

Heel on Lead

Your dog should be walked at a normal pace around the ring, as the Steward directs you, on a loose lead. You are allowed to talk to your dog as much as you like, but you will be down marked if you handle your dog in any way. I have mentioned this under the heading of ‘Tests’.

Heel Free

Exactly the same as Heel on Lead, except that the lead will not be on your dog. He should work by your left leg as he did when the lead was on. The Heelwork pattern will probably be the same as the on lead section, but not necessarily.

Recall

with a Finish

This will be off the lead and is generally referred to as a Novice Recall to distinguish it from a Class A Recall. By this stage, I expect you know what a recall is. You can leave your dog in either the sit or the down, which is entirely up to you. But don’t leave your dog till the Steward tells you to, and remember not to move your feet once you are told to face your dog. You can use as many commands as you like to stop your dog from coming to you before you are told to ‘Call your dog’ by the Steward. Then use your voice to encourage a straight present. Try not to touch him. On being told to finish, tell your dog to go to the heel position.

Sit Stay

One minute

You will be asked to stand near the centre of the ring after being told to leave your dog. You may be asked to stand with your back to your dog, and you will lose marks if you peep round to have a quick look to see if your dog is still in the sit. Listen carefully to any advice the Chief Stay Steward says before the start of the exercise.

Down Stay

Two minutes

The Sit and the Down will be done together with all the dogs entered in this class at a pre-determined time. Don’t be late, or you will miss them.

Total:

Beginners

Exercises

Notes

Heel on lead

The same as in the Pre-Beginner Class.

Heel Free

Again, the same.

Recall

with a Finish

The usual Novice Recall, the same as in Pre-Beginners. Don’t forget you can leave your dog in either a sit or a down and command your dog as much as you like.

Retrieve

You will have learnt how to do this at the club. You can use your own article, but it’s a good idea to use a dumbbell when competing in this class.

Sit Stay

This is also for one minute, the same as in the Pre-Beginner class.

Down Stay

A two-minute down as in the previous class.

Total:

Novice

Exercises

Notes

Temperament Test

This is done on lead with your dog standing beside you. The Judge just gives your dog a quick, quiet stroke to check his temperament. He doesn’t go over the dog as he would in a breed ring.

Heel on lead

The same as in the Pre-Beginner and the Beginner classes.

Heel Free

The same as in the Pre-Beginner and the Beginner classes.

Novice Recall with a Finish

The same as the last two classes, it is generally referred to as a Novice recall. You turn and face your dog and call him to your front, where he should sit till told to finish and go to heel.

Retrieve

You will have learnt how to do this at the club. You have to use a dumbbell in this class.

Sit Stay

Again, this is for one minute. You will be asked to stand in the middle of the ring, behind the Stay Stewards. It is pretty certain that you will have to have your back to your dog, with absolutely no peeping.

Down Stay

This is for two minutes, as were the two previous classes. You will do this exercise as you did in the sit stay. Back to your dog, unless told otherwise.

Total:

you can get shows off ob uk sit

if you see ma about at all feel free to say hi

cocoa did a lot of it and still dose

but i am now training ria and alice

i real think ria has it she is so on the ball

we are training under jo hill and 2 other clubs to

but i can see her getting to the top , at 7 mths she is doing her pre,s and i hope bye the end of this summer to have her out of them and moving up at a fast