UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Run Free Charlie

ykstar

My brother's golden retriever, Charlie, has left us to go to the Bridge. Below are my brother's words, which were written the day Charlie left us, 20th January 2006:

"Charlie was not feeling very well lately. It started a few months ago when we first noticed lumps and the vet suspected cancer. Back then we decided that we would not put him through any drastic diagnostic or treatment methods. He has been getting a slower and slower but I guess we just chose to believe it was age.

This past Sunday (15th January) our old man went sliding with the girls but couldn’t get over a big snow bank. The girls had to carry him for a bit and we noticed his stomach seemed very bloated. Wednesday Jacki took him to the vet. After $500 of tests and vet fees we found out that Charlie had cancer in his spleen and it was spreading through his abdomen plus was bleeding internally which was causing the stomach bloating. The vet suggested we put him down immediately. He felt Charlie could have complications at anytime which would have made very painful for him. As it was he was inhibited by what was happening to his body BUT he felt no pain or difference. We had to say goodbye to Charlie so we brought him home Wednesday evening. All the girls took it very hard but especially Amanda.

We brought him home to say goodbye and the girls spent all day Thursday with him. They fed him all the stuff he normally cannot eat, like bacon. Charlie’s favorite was always the barbecue, so Jacki did barbecue hamburgers. Charlie was sleeping downstairs but true to form as soon as he heard the barbecue start or smelt the odor he was up by the backdoor waiting for his treat. He got as many cheese sausages and hamburger as he could eat, which wasn’t really that much.

Charlie was in no real pain since Sunday just suffering the effects of pressure inside. By Thursday night we could see the bleeding was starting to cause him some trouble as it was getting hard to breathe and he barely made it downstairs. So we knew our appointment at the vet had to be kept Friday morning.

We brought his old blanket and put it out on the floor of the vets. The vet gave him a strong sedative and we all visited him for a bit until he was almost sleeping on Amanda’s lap. Katrina and I went for a walk and then stayed in the lobby until it was over. The process is very gentle and humane, which I think helps us deal with it as much as making it easy on Charlie.

We are going to have his ashes returned to us and Amanda is bound and determined that we have to bring them back to the cabin this summer (Yellowknife, Canada) and spread them off the dock. So, basically loosing Charlie is going to cost me thousands of dollars but it is only appropriate as when we think of Charlie we all know he was the happiest out at the cabin.

It has only been 5 hours since he left us, but Moxie (Westie) seems to know that something is strange. She has basically been sleeping him for the last few days and when we got home she went outside to look for Charlie. Funny how dogs seem to sense something is up.

Here are a few pictures of Charlie from yesterday and today.

You know it’s funny. I updated the girls on a man that works for me. His wife has ovarian cancer and the medical community in Canada said there was basically nothing more they could do. They last few months they have spent everything, searching out and then flying to Israel and working with an advanced immunity system replacement plan at Harrada hospital. Just 1 week ago they had such high hopes as it appeared they had killed the cancer and her immune system was responding but things turned bad. Today they are back in New Liskeard, she has gone blind and cannot walk and is basically dying. Her daughter, Amanda’s age has not seen her mother in 4 weeks and when she got back she is close to death. They are not sure she will make the weekend. Such pain for that family.

In comparison we have nothing to deal with… and yet still… here we are, all so sad and lost, because our dear old dog had to go.

I need to be strong for the girls and I know by tomorrow things will be better, and the next day better still and eventually those memories will be warm thoughts that make us smile and laugh, like we have when we talk about Cashew. But tonight we will just cuddle on the couch, watch some TV and let the pain and sadness dull with the ticking seconds on the clock."

:(

Run free angel. You're reunited with Higgins now - play well with Cashew and Chelsea.

3e71c9a5a8ccc12eca96275ebf396ece.JPG

0b36d4e6c57b7887069f806029f28c7e.JPG

e07d000ccf422e5deae0195da156ab22.JPG