UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Long Do You Think A Rescue Should Hold A *found* Dog

suzeanna

I noticed, reading the lost and found section, that a jrt bitch found on the 26th January had been placed in what I presume was a rescue...and then that she has been rehomed. A friend of mine lost her collie once, on Ashdown Forest in Sussex. She searched for days, put up posters, informed everyone she could think of...no dog. She extended the search and three weeks later she found him, in a rescue the other side of Brighton. It was much too far for him to have walked, he must have been picked up in a car and then either escaped or was dumped. Is there a set time that dogs should be held, as I can only imagine how upset this dogs owners would be if they find out eventually where she was and she's been rehomed?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The law is that an owner has 7 days to reclaim their dog once it's in the "system". If a private individual finds the dog and has the consent and paperwork from the dog warden they may keep it for 28 days.

Remember though, that a found dog must be reported to the police and dog warden in order to comply with the law.

Also remember that even if it is tagged or microchipped, a rescue, pound, police or dogwarden, or individual do not have to telephone you to tell you that they have your dog - the law puts the onus on YOU to find your dog, not for your dog to be found for you.

The law is that an owner has 7 days to reclaim their dog once it's in the "system". If a private individual finds the dog and has the consent and paperwork from the dog warden they may keep it for 28 days.

Remember though, that a found dog must be reported to the police and dog warden in order to comply with the law.

Also remember that even if it is tagged or microchipped, a rescue, pound, police or dogwarden, or individual do not have to telephone you to tell you that they have your dog - the law puts the onus on YOU to find your dog, not for your dog to be found for you.

Do you not think though that there's the law and then there's a little humanity. Ie there was a red setter in the local paper not so long ago. A couple who dearly loved their pet but unfortunately left it with someone (possibly their son whilst on holiday? - cant remember for sure) He was stupid enough to tie the dog outside a local shop for a "few minutes" when the local kids (assumedly) kindly let the dog loose. The dog was found, taken to a vet and ultimately ended up in a local animal shelter where 7 days later he was rehomed. Sbsequently somehow the actual (arguably no longer the legal) owners of this dog fairly soon found him. Understandably they want him back and have in my opinion been more than reasonable - offered to refund any fees paid to the rescue and help the new couple find another dog. The new "owners" refuse to let the original owners see the dog - it's been suggested they let the dog be observed with each and how he responds to them and refuse point blank to return him. It's been to court and is now waiting for further hearings I believe.

If it had been years or the dog had been in any appeared mistreat I might have had more sympathy with the new owner but to me in these circumstances if the dog looks like he wants to go home he should be allowed to do so and I'd like to think that after a few weeks with a dog versus years if I were in the same boat I'd do the decent thing regardless of my legal rights and let the dog go back to his real home and family.

If it had been years or the dog had been in any appeared mistreat I might have had more sympathy with the new owner but to me in these circumstances if the dog looks like he wants to go home he should be allowed to do so and I'd like to think that after a few weeks with a dog versus years if I were in the same boat I'd do the decent thing regardless of my legal rights and let the dog go back to his real home and family.

Thats people for you. They would rather grab something then give thought to the safety and welfare of a dog.

I have a dog missing that has a major medical history and bites. One day the family who have this dog are going to have thier hearts broken.

Hi there. Can I just clarify the above statment please as it has made me wonder.

Am I to understand that if my dog were to go missing, the fact that she is always collar and tagged when outside and that she is microchipped, wouldn't necessarily mean that if she landed up in the 'care' of one of the 'authorities' mentioned, that she'd be returned to me if they scanned her ?

What's the point of us chipping, tattooing, tagging etc if the 'authorities' are not duty / procedure bound to use the information in front of them..IE a telno on a tag or details from a microchip scanner.

I appreciate not all places may have access to scanner etc but those that do would surely call the telno(s) supplied wouldn't they ? Why ever are we told its law to have our details on the tags othyerwise, if not for the info to be used in such circumstances ? :unsure:

Pound rules are ten days but if people microchipped animals they would be home as soon as found

7 days at the pound I work with. We get a lot of dogs in that are chipped, the majority don't go home as the details on the chip are incorrect :(

I think most rescues, pounds and dog wardens do get the details off the chip companies and contact the people who's details are on the chip, not always the current owner of course. Unfortunately in my experience I can't say the same about the police.

Hi there. Can I just clarify the above statment please as it has made me wonder.

Am I to understand that if my dog were to go missing, the fact that she is always collar and tagged when outside and that she is microchipped, wouldn't necessarily mean that if she landed up in the 'care' of one of the 'authorities' mentioned, that she'd be returned to me if they scanned her ?

What's the point of us chipping, tattooing, tagging etc if the 'authorities' are not duty / procedure bound to use the information in front of them..IE a telno on a tag or details from a microchip scanner.

I appreciate not all places may have access to scanner etc but those that do would surely call the telno(s) supplied wouldn't they ? Why ever are we told its law to have our details on the tags othyerwise, if not for the info to be used in such circumstances ? :unsure:

To me, the point of tagging, chipping etc. is that it gives us more of a chance of being reunited with our dog should they go missing. I would imagine most places would call if a collar has an ID tag on it. I think microchipping comes into play if the dog is not tagged, or the tag/collar comes off. I don't think everywhere scans, but my dogs are chipped in the hope if they do stray, they'll end up somewhere that does scan. If they're not chipped and the collar comes off, it just makes things even harder.

I don't think we can blame a rescue for rehoming a dog after 7 days, if the rescue has no way of locating an owner through an ID tag, microchip, tattoo etc. If rescues held onto untagged/unmicrochipped dogs for longer, then they'd be able to take less dogs in for rehoming. That might well mean another untagged/unchipped dog wouldn't even make it into the safety of rescue :unsure: I don't know how I'd feel if I had just adopted a new dog and then an old owner turned up. I guess it would depend on the individual situation. I like to think if they were a very good owner, I'd want to reunite them with their dog, just as I would want someone to, should mine go missing.

THis is an interesting thread.

Here in the ROI, the law is that if the dog does not go through the pound system and be released to a new owner/rescue group after it's time is up, then the "new owner" has to have the dog for a year and a day before it is legally theirs.

If the dog goes through the pound system then the new owner owns it by law once it's five days are up.

Personally if a rescue takes in a dog from the streets, and in a perfect world, then I would like to think they would do their utmost to find owners.

Sadly I do not believe it happens as much as it should :( due to lack of sheer resources.

Yes you're right on your interpretation of my post. Exactly the reason why we support "Dolly's Directive" - link on Doglost for those of you not aware of it.

The law (whether right or wrong) doesn't land on the side of dog owners.

Kyla was found as a stray by someone I worked with at the time, I contacted the dog warden who said i could take her home and if no-one claimed her within 7 days she was mine.

She had no collar nor was microchipped.

Even though there were a few problems with Lily accepting Kyla I would have found it difficult to hand her back to anyone that claimed she was theres and definitely after the 7 days.

Needless to say no-one came forward.

Yes you're right on your interpretation of my post. Exactly the reason why we support "Dolly's Directive" - link on Doglost for those of you not aware of it.

The law (whether right or wrong) doesn't land on the side of dog owners.

Good grief :angry:

Thanks for clarifying for me :flowers: .

I'm still amazed that there isn't a procedure in place for routine scanning of dogs (for those places that have scanners). Seems that we, as responsible dog oenwers, will do all we can to ensure the safe return of our dogs, but there's a glaring missing link. Thnaks for the "Dolly's Directive" info too.

I don't know if this is true but I have heard that dogs who are killed on the roads are rarely scanned for chips, they are simply removed by the Highways Department, and their poor owners may never find out what happened to them.

My dogs are all chipped, but for two of them the chip details are those of the rescue they came from, not mine. I've tried to have them transferred, but the rescues (2 different ones) argue that if the dog strays they want to be aware of the situation, and that if the dog is reported as found they would contact me.

I do have some sympathy with this and their desire to keep some control of dogs they rehome, but I find it very worrying that I would be reliant on the pound/police/dog warden having to go through a third party - especially as I know from experience one of these rescues is very difficult to contact on the telephone. Is it a common policy for rescues not to transfer chip details?

Fee, if you're with Petlog, you (they - the rescue) can sign up for the Petlog Plus scheme which allows more than one telephone number to be registered. Might this be a possibility for the rescues who wish to have their details kept on the chip? Could they not add a second number (ie yours) so that the chip company can contact you should they be unable to reach the rescue? Might be something they'd consider?

Two of my dogs are chipped through the same rescue (the other was a private rehoming and I got him chipped) and the details were transferred to me on adoption. Knowing how busy their phone lines can be, I'm very glad they do it this way.

Re the highway departments, I'm not sure how they all work but I know some don't scan for sure. Dee's probably better able to advise on that one.