UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Blythe Has Been Poorly

GSDFan

but she is a bit better now and I am feeling able to post about it.

Last weekend she was a bit under the weather but nothing major, Monday she was the same, Tuesday she definately wasn't well and I thought she must have picked up a bug. Wednesday morning she was ill and I took her to the Vets on Wednesday afternoon. Over those few days she dropped several kilos in weight.

She was diagnosed with ketoacidotic diabetes and admitted into hospital. On Wednesday morning she was very lethargic but still walking about and going outside for a wee, by 4pm when she arrived at the hospital she was unable to walk unaided, I thought she was going to die and the Vet believed she only had a slim chance of pulling through. She was immediately put onto a drip and short acting Insulin. She was switched over to normal Insulin on Friday and has done very well.

I was allowed to bring her home this evening, she is still poorly and very weak but there is nothing the Vets can do now that I can't do myself. She will have to go and have blood tests twice a week for a little while and then less often as she progresses. She will be on Insulin and a restricted diet for life but the main thing is that she is now home and should now be OK.

Apparently ketoacidotic diabetes can either be 'sudden onset' or it can be diabetes which has been very mild and therefore unnoticed for a long time.

Huge thank yous to the people who have been sending her Reiki and to my friends on here who either on the phone or by PM have been propping me up, listening to me blub and cheering me up.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am delighted her ladyship is home! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I know what a horribly worrying time the past few days have been for you and am chuffed to bits that the feisty madam has fought so hard to get well......

Thanks for keeping me well informed of her progress during her illness. :)

Madam was a little bit wobbly this morning before her breakfast and insulin but perked up afterwards. This afternoon she had a walk all the way round the garden and had to be called in because for the next 10 days she is only supposed to be outside long enough for a wee and poo.

She has sworn at Ailis, Bruin and Lasso :rolleyes: and had a good bark when someone knocked at the door :biggrin:

She is most unimpressed at what she considers the lack of food. She is accustomed to a small porridge breakfast at around 9am, dinner of meat, veg and rice at around 3pm and another small meat dinner at around 7pm. She is now getting 650g of Chappie at 9am and another 650g of Chappie at 9pm.

She looks so much better, her eyes are bright and her tail is wagging a bit and her bark is definately working :biggrin:

She is back at the Vets tomorrow evening so hopefully they'll be pleased with her progress.

She has sworn at Ailis, Bruin and Lasso and had a good bark when someone knocked at the door

Good for Blythe :biggrin:

She is most unimpressed at what she considers the lack of food. She is accustomed to a small porridge breakfast at around 9am, dinner of meat, veg and rice at around 3pm and another small meat dinner at around 7pm. She is now getting 650g of Chappie at 9am and another 650g of Chappie at 9pm.

I'd not be impresssed either!!

She looks so much better, her eyes are bright and her tail is wagging a bit and her bark is definately working

She is back at the Vets tomorrow evening so hopefully they'll be pleased with her progress.

Fingers crossed they will be pleased :) great to hear she is looking so well :flowers: