UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Male Black Labs (apologies To Lab Owners)

crazyspaniels

OK so is it just me and a few friends or is it a nationwide thing?

I have a dog that hates male black labs and after a recent discussion it appears that one of the breeds that most people dread bumping into in the park is not a rottie or bullbreed, but a black lab?

We have a couple in our dog club that asked why park walkers always dislike their young labs and I tried to explain that alot of dog owners have issues with black labs and they were totally shocked.

So does your dog dislike male black labs and if you have a black lab are you aware of peoples dogs not liking it??

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got a yellow lab (female) but we'd like a black boy. TBH I'd love a full set but that's dreamland.

I can't recall if I was told it or read it, but I gather that all black dogs are harder to 'read' by other dogs as the eyes aren't so clearly distinguished from the body frame. (Mind you, I may have made that up as well :wacko: )

Where we live, we have met labs of all 3 colour and honestly not had a problem with any of them. There are 2 black lab sisters who Ruby plays with. I don't think we've met a male one.

We've got a Rotty/Dobe in our park who is almost all black, but she is female and is very friendly.

Az isn't keen on male black labs. He isn't a big fan of any entire male, but black labs seem to be particularly annoying to him even if neutered.

Mollydog thinks black labs are really black collies, and she loooooves black and white collies - so she bounces at them and woofs "PLAY WITH ME!". :rolleyes: This is sometimes considered a bit intimidating by the poor lab...

Black labs are Khanu's nemesis' :rolleyes:

He's not great generally with dogs when he is on lead but black labs are a particular hate, with labs generally a good second.

I think the problem is that labs are usually bouncy and very in your face, most dogs I know that aren't labs find this pretty rude. Most of the labs I have seen when out do very straight head on approaches to other dogs, rather than the normal semi circle or side-on approach, they also seem to approach at a dead run!

I guess when the approaching missile has pretty poor body language (as far as normal dog manners goes) and you also find it harder to read their face because it's black, you may react more than you normally would.

I love Labs, but after meeting so many with owners who let them run up and jump all over my dogs without even trying to call them back, I dread meeting them now.

The worst case of this was when I had my old dog, Spice. Spice was ill with cancer, in his last few weeks, but was still enjoying outings and short, special-interest walks. I took him to visit my friend and her dog and we took them both to her local park. A man appeared at the other side of the park with this large male, black Lab. The dog spotted us and charged at full pelt up to us and literally jumped on Spice. I screamed at the bloke to get his F'ing dog and so he started sauntering slowly towards us.

I was so worried for my old boy that I couldn't stand to see him being jumped on, so I tried to pull the dog off him, to no avail. As the owner was still nowhere near, I had no choice but to kick the dog off - and it took a lot of kicking. The owner still didn't seem concerned and when he got nearby he just shouted, "is she is season?" I shouted back "no, HE'S not, he's DYING". The bloke just laughed and said "why have you brought him out then?" and walked off. I was so upset. :mecry:

That and similar but slightly less distressing incidents has made me dread meeting them. But obviously it's not the dogs' fault; some of them just seem to have useless owners. :rolleyes:

I have the opposite problem with Foxy and black labs, esp boy labs. She absolutely adores them, so much so that it sometimes gets embarrasing :laugh: She goes from (reasonably)normal collie to melted mush in, oh, about 3 seconds, and if she can get them onto the floor, then sits on their face and then.................er, well, you get the picture :wacko:

Is Foxy a bit of a slapper around black lab boys ? Yes. I thank the doG the day she was spayed :laugh: