UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Vets Perspective

My vet rang me last night. On Friday he put to sleep his 10th staffie type. Without exception, these were loving family pets whose owners were concerned they had the potential to turn. None had exhibited previous aggressive behaviour. He has said No More, he is mentally and physically drained from last week.

He will be releasing the following Press Statement this morning, and calling in his media contacts. The BBC have already contacted him. I think his idea of an advice line and seminar is an excellent one, and it would be great if other vets followed suit. We will be concentrating our immediate efforts working with local vets and rescues in the area to prevent innocent family pets from being destroyed and surrended.

Press Release 8th January 2007

So why not just kill me?

A great deal of work has been done over the years by reputable charities to prevent the abandonment of pets after the Christmas period.

2007 has started in the most awful way for dogs after the horrific attack on a little girl by a banned breed. Since that tragic day dozens of family pets that have never so much as snarled at anyone have been destroyed or abandoned. I cannot describe to you how awful it is to hold a healthy friendly dog as it wags it’s tail and is then injected with an overdose of anaesthetic for simply being a Staffordshire bull terrier cross breed.

As a veterinary surgery we have witnessed the massive increase in the workload of dedicated and caring rescue centres such as Hope rescue operated by a committed band of volunteers who work tirelessly to find dogs new caring homes for the remainder of their lives.

Budget Vets were recently presented with the Business Commitment to the Community of Wales by the Chambers of Commerce. I feel as a partner it is our duty to provide free impartial and most importantly accurate advice to people who are concerned about their dog’s behaviour.

Budget vets have set up a dedicated mobile phone line offering people free impartial confidential advice on caring for their dog. This line is staffed from 08.30 am to 18.00 Monday to Friday. (number available from 8th January 2007) Email [email protected]

On Sunday 28th January at 52 Somerset St, Abertillery NP13 1DL Budget Vets have organised a free seminar on dog behaviour at 12 noon with respected dog behaviourist John Bills of Gelert dog training a member of the British Institute of Professional Dog Trainers who will give a presentation and then answer any questions from the audience.

Budget Vets can be contacted on 01633 855825 or 01495 321944 email [email protected]

Primary Contact Peter Heathcote Partner / Clinic Director

Senior partner / Veterinary Surgeon Katherine Heathcote BVM&S MRCVS

Good man :flowers:

Isn't it a pity though that vets are putting to sleep healthy non aggressive dogs :( is there no way they can pass these animals to rescues? [who I know are struggling]

It's so bloody tragic :mecry:

That's an excellent statement though, I'm going to ring our vets today and see if they'll disclose numbers if there are any.

Good man :flowers:

Isn't it a pity though that vets are putting to sleep healthy non aggressive dogs :( is there no way they can pass these animals to rescues? [who I know are struggling]

It's so bloody tragic :mecry:

That's an excellent statement though, I'm going to ring our vets today and see if they'll disclose numbers if there are any.

Mel - he spent 2 hours with one man trying to persuade him :(

The irony is that these people do seem to care about their pets :unsure: They want to stay with their pets whilst the deed was done - if not we could get them "out the back door" as we usually do. But there is nothing that can be done if they are physically in the same room.

And as you say, where we would put them anyway? Staffie types spend weeks with us in holding kennels, some much longer. That kennel could have had around 10 poundies in it during that time, we have to get the balance right. We don't, as a general rule, rehome from kennels as we do not have the facilities to assess the dogs properly. on the rare occassion we have it has been to homes without other pets and children as a precaution.

And yes Mel - if people could contact their vets and persuade them to issue statements, provide figures etc it will give more weight as to effect this media hype is having on innocent family pets who have doen no wrong

Ironically when I took Nog to the Vet on Friday I asked my vet if she'd had any increase in calls or requests for PTS from Bull Breed owners and she said no, which was good news for at least this local practice - I have to take Nog back agin in 2 weeks and will make a point of checking with her again to see if it has stayed that way.

Well done to your vet for speaking out :flowers:

Ironically when I took Nog to the Vet on Friday I asked my vet if she'd had any increase in calls or requests for PTS from Bull Breed owners and she said no, which was good news for at least this local practice - I have to take Nog back agin in 2 weeks and will make a point of checking with her again to see if it has stayed that way.

Well done to your vet for speaking out :flowers:

That is good Snow. I am not sure if it is a local problem here, or more widespread. At the risk of this coming out wrong.....

Most of Hope's work, and that of our vets, is in a statistically proven socially deprived area. Education standards are not high. People do not understand that it is highly unlikely their dog will turn. They see it as a similar type (in looks) to the photographs of "devil dogs" in the media, therefore their dog will also turn into a killer :(

Vet called back finally. They haven't had any dogs in to be destroyed but they have had 3 queries from worried owners who have been reassured that their animals are not pit bull types. I asked if they'd been told to report any "suspect" dogs on their client list and he said No but that he'd be liable if anyone knowingly had an unregistered animal that he didn't report.