UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

He is fine now the mares have been moved out of sight. He did however in all his hooligan activity get a nice cut under his chin. It was a bit manky last night, so flushed it out with hibiscrub and plastered sudocrem in it. He is getting his back shoes put back on today, so will flush it out again today and if it's no better, it could be a vet job for antibiotics :rolleyes:

I need to give myself a goal, I've been so unproductive recently. I've been looking up a few events to get to in an attempt to kick myself into gear!

The riding club thingy I was due to compete in was move to the 14th July so need to get out for some dressage and sj practice before then.....what's everyone else gor planned?

How about showjumping at Wheelers on 1st / 2nd June?

After having wobble of confidence and belief the last few months, Im pleased to say I think we and especially Loki has refound our mojo, the flat work is getting back on track although still work in progress its going the right way. Today we went to a xc clinic which we both enjoyed

Resized.jpg

• Like 2

OOhh fab pics!... we've been very busy down here, we've had a number of horses to 'look after for a short while', sadly it turned out they were in an awful state on arrival which set alarm bells ringing, we've had many sleepless nights, lots and lots of hard work but some have finally turned a corner, lets just say the more I see the more I believe rescues should ALL be licenced and given regular checks... not all animals from this place had such a nice ending but we are winning in the health stakes, at last!

• Like 1

Ooh well done Claire!

I'm having a saddle dilemma, my current saddle is wonky on milo and driving us both nuts. Rang saddler this morning but as it was bank holiday yesterday he's got a busy week so can't see me until Saturday. I think milo is bulking out a bit more now he's being ridden more and one shoulder seems to be bigger than the other and pushing the saddle back. So last week I noticed I'm twisting when I rise and we feel very wobbly in canter when normally he's balanced so think we'll be en route for a new saddle. My saddler knows me quite well (been coming since Earl days!) and I told him quite frankly I haven't got the funds to spend thousands so he better not bring anything outrageously expensive. Fingers crossed that will get sorted and we can get on our way again...

Wanda is so happy, she's on steroids for her pollen allergies and she just loves it, I think she would snort it with a straw given the chance! Her eyes glaze over and she breathes it and just about says aaaaaaahhhhhh, as soon as she spots the spacer and mask it's gimme gimme gimmie, I think my horse is a druggie! :)

Banner has done her May competition, closing date is today so waiting for the results with bated breath, she did make a few mistakes but I'm not too concerned as I don't want her to go up another level yet. She did the bottle bank and the water splash brilliantly so really pleased with my little pony!

• Like 2

Well done Clare :)

Hope your saddler can get you sorted CP :flowers:

Glad the steroids are helping Wanda :)

Glad the horses are improving Louise :)

I am struggling for motivation and time at the moment - whenever I do have the time and energy to ride, the menage is always booked :rolleyes: Am hoping to ride tonight, as I usually have a lesson, but my instructor is away, so I will ride him on my own tonight. Bernie rode him on Wednesday, and apparently he was a right spooky lazy get :laugh: At one point he went flying across the menage having spooked at a pony in the field who was decked out in all her fly gear :laugh: :rolleyes:

Well done Banner :partytime:

Am thinking about renaming my pony Sicknote :angry: :laugh: Went to bring him in on Friday to ride, and he has a kick right where his girth goes :rolleyes: He also has quite bad sunburn on his white side of his nose, but whenever I try and get near his nose with the suncream he grows to 18hh and chucks his head in the air. Have seen a UV nose net that attaches to a headcollar, so am thinking about buying one of those for him and a field safe headcollar.

Well done Banner :biggrin:

Glad the horses are improving for your tlc Louise :flowers:

Did you get the saddle sorted CP?

How is Blue now?

Had a busy weekend last week, went showjumping (again I know I must be sick :laughingsmiley: ) which went ok, one down in the unaff and 2 down in the affiliated class, but one of those was 100% my fault completely missed my stride and panicked, so one down over the rest of the course was not too bad for us.

Then our first dressage test under our new trainer and was really happy how he went, much more free and forward, confirmed by an 8 for paces, it made the arena seem even smaller than usual so it was a bit messy and unbalanced on the corners, but was happy with 71% and 4th.

Jumping lesson tomorrow then thats all our prep ready for BE90 the following weekend.

• Like 2

Well done Clare :)

I bought Blue a nose net on Tuesday, put it on him at about 7.30. Went up to check him on Wednesday morning at 9am and it was gone :laugh: :rolleyes: :angry:

Have had 2 lessons with him this week, Tuesday's was quite good. On Friday though I was a bit stressed about Ted, work and a few other things, so when he started being an arse and resisting the contact and hollowing for no reason whatsoever, I got a bit cross with him. Anyway, cross mummy tends to work quite well with him as he went into a lovely outline and worked nicely for me then :)

My handsome boy :wub:

null.jpg

I took this picture on Thursday - Bernie was supposed to be riding him, but decided the weather was too nice to ride and decided to cancel her lesson at the last minute :rolleyes: :angry: I went into the field to check on him and ended up sitting on the side of the hill, with him nuzzling me and grazing at my feet. All his mates went into the next field and he stayed with me, until I decided to leave him, then he walked me to the gate before going to join his friends :wub:

• Like 2

Thats a lovely picture :wub:

Yes I didn't have much luck with the nose net on fieldsafe headcollar either :laughingsmiley: Full masks do stay on a bit better but if they are determind to get them off they do eventually, I tend to smother in sun cream and put one on to cover all bases!

As I'm considering retiring next year I'm having thoughts about another horse. Because of my hip problem Wanda is too wide and I have serious pain if I try to ride her. I had a go on Clumper the other day and although he is 16hh and looks like an elephant he is nowhere near as wide and I was much more comfortable. So after much debate I'm thinking of an Icelandic, the tituppy action would be an advantage as it would assist with the stiffness and that they can rattle along in tolt if required which would be super. The others in the picture would be an Akhal Teke, (where would I find one), as they are small, narrow and hard as nails, or final choice would be an Arab.

Do any others spring to mind, not a fell though, just not my sort of horse, Dales, Highland and the like would be too wide so it has to be 14hh or thereabouts, narrow and quick moving!

What about a Blue? He is 14.1 and not mega wide, I have always had probs with ny hips due to curvature of the spine and cope ok. He is a Belgian riding pony. He can be lazy and nappy but my goodness when he switches his on switch on, he is amazingly forward! This week in our lesson he was so forward, any slight leg aid resulted in a lovely canter, regardless of whether that was what I wanted :rolleyes: :laugh: He is an absolute gent on the floor as well :wub: