UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Sorry Jayne but welcome to the wonderful world of horse ownership!! I swear they do it on purpose! Once I'd finally got to the stage that I could actually ride Kane, he then got a tooth abcess which kept him off work for months, then lame...etc etc!!

Ohh also need some advise for Fred foal. Anyone know how we can discourage nipping? He keeps biting as we handle him, nothing nasty I think it's more a habit. He certainly isn't being nasty cos he's such a sweet soul. He likes to hold the lead rope in his mouth and he carry's his bucket after his meals. :wub: He loves velcro and seems to enjoy opening it!!

We don't want anything that will scare him because he's quiet a timid little man.

Sorry Jayne but welcome to the wonderful world of horse ownership!! I swear they do it on purpose! Once I'd finally got to the stage that I could actually ride Kane, he then got a tooth abcess which kept him off work for months, then lame...etc etc!!

Ohh also need some advise for Fred foal. Anyone know how we can discourage nipping? He keeps biting as we handle him, nothing nasty I think it's more a habit. He certainly isn't being nasty cos he's such a sweet soul. He likes to hold the lead rope in his mouth and he carry's his bucket after his meals. :wub: He loves velcro and seems to enjoy opening it!!

We don't want anything that will scare him because he's quiet a timid little man.

He sounds like a really clever little pony. Why not try clicker training with him? You would use this to reinforce positive behaviours at the times that he usually nips. There are lots of videos if you do a search on youtube.

Well Wandy Wu gets trotted up tomorrow and if sound back to work for her. Seeing as the last few days have been made amusing by her box bouncing and weeeee noises and her enormous bucky kicky fits when turned out one sincerely hope she is. She's going to be fun to ride :biggrin: and Sam gets that opportunity as I still have huge knee problems, (and a huge knee). My MRI was cancelled because the poxy scanner broke and I also have a severe morphine itch! Oh what fun!

Clare, how's Loki and your thumb?

Poor Blue, I hope he's feeling better. :GroupHug:

Poor Blue - it is so muddy at the mo - I am sure that Jacky is right and that he has just pulled something in the field :GroupHug:

I rode Rolo for the first time in ages tonight - I have lost my nerve, big time! :rolleyes:

Had new grip pad underneath saddle, and Heather Moffet's hip saver on top for the first time. The first problem was me - my right side is so stiff siince my last fall - my friend who is a physio came in about 2 mins after I had got on and said that I was wonky - checked stirrups and came to the conclusion that it was me who was wonky!

She corrected me and I got agonising cramp in my right hip and instep, so she showed me how to free it off (all good experience for Rolo - he gets uptight with strange goings on in the saddle!), and try to drop my legs down - got there in the end, but still did not feel right.

Settled eventually and asked Rolo for a trot on the right rein - it was a lovely trot, nice and relaxed - felt so nice - only did a half circuit then brought him back to walk for a few strides and asked for trot again - he was a bit lazier and tripped, so I just raised my voice and said "pick your feet up", and put my legs on a bit more - he shot off in to a completely uncontrolled trot - I had no brakes or steering and heading straight for the gate - not that far, but a bit unsettling.

I walked him past the gate, and with butterflies in my stomach, asked for trot again - but pulled up a long way from the gate - he was fine - also trotted on the left rein for a bit - no problem (he can be naughty on the left rein ) I only rode for about 15 mins in total, as my back was complaining!

I am very dissappointed with myself for getting so unsettled at the nap towards the gate. It has made me realise just how badly I have lost my nerve - Nemo used to spook and go flat out from one corner of the school to the gate - he found it hysterical - little Rolo only trotted, bless him - and I sure he only did it becasue he was upset by me raising my voice, and a bit of a communication breakdown.

I am going to have a half hour lesson later in the week, and in the meantime I will start doing my back exercises again.

Not sure what the point of this whole post was - but it has certainly helped clarify things for me in my own mind - was wondering whether the time had come to accept that I have lost my nerve completely and give up earlier! Maybe I am not there just yet!

(Anyone got any ideas on how to improve the brakes on a tank!)

Hope all goes well for Wanda tomorrow - hope you get your knee sorted soon too - sounds horrific

Bradders. :GroupHug: Didn't realise you were still in so much pain, must be so frustrating for you.

Thanks for the clicker training hint, don't know why I didn't think about that before. I used it with Kane when he first came and it's a brilliant tool! :flowers: Will dig out my books!! :biggrin:

Hope Wanda is okay. :flowers:

Hope Blue is feeling better today :flowers:

Now Wanda be a good girl and trot up sound for your mum :wub: Sounds like she is ready to get back to work, good luck Sam :ohmy: :laugh: Really hope you get some progress on your knee soon :GroupHug:

Oh Jen don't be so hard on yourself :GroupHug: It is only natural you were feeling unsettled after such a long time out of the saddle, just remember little steps and don't pressure yourself and your confidence will come back with time :flowers:

Loki has his trot up on Friday, I am hoping he is now sound but will wait and see what vet thinks :) Thumb is a bit deformed, lucky it is just a thumb :laugh:

Lots of sound trotting up thoughts going to UK these days! :flowers:

I had a go on Ivan today, wow he is so nice! Have not ridden him at all since he came home from Germany, but my boss said to me today, go get your helmet you HAVE to try him. He was wearing a double bridle, not sure what you call them in English (Kandar in Danish), you know the ones they wear when you see them on tv?

I have hacked out with one, and ridden blue eyes in one a few times, but never a young horse. He was brill. Boss thought I was so cool in my jeans and wellies, and with Ivan moving like a star for me :laugh:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: Bradders - I know how you feel - I'm going to be a complete wreck next time I get on Blue :unsure:

Vet came out to see him, it wasn't the one who I was expecting, but he was absolutely gorgeous :wub: :wub: :D

He had a look at him, and the little bugger decided that he wasn't lame after all, and he could pick his foot up, and he could walk without dragging it :rolleyes: When the vet tried to extend it though, he wasn't happy and snatched his foot right away. Sooo, he's got to have a week of box rest and some anti inflamms (like bute but not as strong tasting - can't remember the name now :rolleyes: ), and then we've got to trot him up next Tuesday/Wednesday and see if he is still lame - if he isn, then the vet will come back out. If not, we can turn him out and start working him again.

Vet thinks it is a nerve problem as opposed to anything else at this point, although if it doesn't clear up, they'll have to x ray him :unsure: