UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Wow :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

How much smaller is the smaller one? (Just in case Archie isn't right)

Hope Minty is feeling better soon Jacky - she is a fantastic horse :GroupHug: :flowers:

Bobbysmum, I think it is only natural to feel apprehensive about starting out in the horse owning world. As well as being very excited at the prospect of having Archie, I am really nervous as well! It does sound though as though Dexter's owner is being a bit obstructive, and as Al said, a face to face meeting may be a good idea to discuss all the problems you have found :flowers:

What's his story Lesley :)

The bigger ones family are just putting thier young family first which is fair enough. The horse has been beautifully cared for but the family need a bigger house which will take up a lot more time and money.

The smaller one Harveys mum died of cancer so it was arranged months ago that when she passed her horses would come to me so I can find them the best homes possible.

Well the owner hadnt returned my call from last night. Went to the yard and he was out so went round the fields looking for him. Found him in the big field in a New Zealand rug. Took him down to yard. He is moulting like anything and was hot in his rug.

Then had problems finding his tack. Found the saddle and the reins, no bridle. Eventually found bridle but this meant I wasnt ready when instructor arrived. She has a stinking cold and I have had one for the last week so we made a good pair. However had a good lesson for the most part but found him getting a bit strong at the end. Even the instructor remarked that he was getting a bit full of himself. Instructor told me she had had an appointment to school Dexter last monday. Owner usually leaves tack out but hadnt and didnt turn to get it out for her!!!! She gave up and left but later saw owner hacking him out in the evening so she had obvioulsy forgotten that as well. I suppose its nice to know its not just me. Apparently she was supposed to leave her some money today but hadnt.

Then my instructor schooled another horse and afterwards I got to speak to his owner and asked her what Dexter had been doing. Apparently he stayed in for 24 hrs on two days last week. I wondered if it was because he was ill or lame but she said it was to keep him off the grass (but he was in the big field this morning). She asked if I had been up early and got him in cos when she got her horse in Dexter wasnt in the field. So we think that he was in all of yesterday and last night and was turned out this morning. His stable door was tied open and absolutely stank so thats another reason I think he was in all night. I mucked out the stable.

I asked if she knew what he had done this week. She said he was hacked out with her and her horse on Monday which was the first time since I last hacked out. (about 2.5 weeks) She said he was very jumpy and at one point jumped in front of a car. :ohmy: He has been lunged as I suspect that is why his bridle and reins were missing. In view of this I dont know whether to try and find someone to hack out with or not over the weekend. Apparently the farrier had to come again yesterday as he threw another shoe (2 in a week!!) I am rather annoyed that I have to find these things out from other owners.

Anyway at the end of the lesson I sponged off his sweat marks and put him in the starvation paddock with a fly rug on. If its not right then tough. The girl I was talking to is going to put her horse in with him later for company.

I have to try and decide what I am doing with him tomorrow!! Do I get him in, leave him out?

I typed up 2 copies of the agreement 2 weeks ago and signed both copies. then she was supposed to sign both copies and return one to me so we had one each. She forgot to return it last week so said she would this week but it wasnt there.

Duke003.jpg

Duke 17.2hh Shire Beat that then

Ooooooo Lovely, pop him in a jiffy bag and send him up to me, Wanda would love him! :wub:

Bobbysmum, golly it does sound a difficult situation and must be really stressful for you. I do hope you get things sorted out because although Dexter is lovely you don't sound as though you are enjoying him much at the moment with all the problems. If you can't get things on a better footing fairly soon I would be tempted to walk away from this one, as someone else said, it's supposed to be fun!

OMG Duke is huge. He does look an absolute babe.

Dexters owner phoned tonight. She has been working 16 hr days since Tuesday. She didnt get in til 11.15pm last night and had to be back at work at 6am. I feel really bad now. She is dead on her feet. She has a really busy weekend and has to work her day off on bank holiday monday.

She says that Dexter was a bit jumpy on her hack, probably due to the grass here being so good at the moment and thats why she has had him in off the grass. She says she is really pleased with the way I am taking to looking after him and not to worry about where I put him field wise etc. He isnt hugely overweight. I told her I didnt feel confident knowing what was best for him and she said not to worry so much I wouldnt do him any harm. We discussed the lack of hacking partners and she admits its one of the problems of a small yard and then said that because she is working Monday I could probably get a hack out with Caroline as she usually hacks on Mondays. Told her he was a bit strong in the lesson today and she said that he hadnt been able to work for 2 days as had thrown a shoe again.

I asked about how to cope with his copious moulting at the moment. She said to use a curry comb on him in a circular motion when he is washed after a ride. All I have to do now is work out which one is a curry comb!!! (a black plastic thing) in his extensive toolbox of brushes and combs. :rolleyes:

I feel really bad now. My copy of the agreement is apparently in the grooming kit tool box.

All I have to do now is work out which one is a curry comb!!! (a black plastic thing) in his extensive toolbox of brushes and combs. :rolleyes:

I feel really bad now. My copy of the agreement is apparently in the grooming kit tool box.

rubbercurry.jpg

rubber curry comb

You weren't to know that she was working such long hours :GroupHug:

Edited by Angel155

OMG Evita. How you have grown :wub:

I went up to Dexter this afternoon. It was very hot so didnt do much in the school. Then Debbie arrived to see Dougal (the one crippled with arthritis) and offered to walk out with me. We went out for about an hour. I offered her a ride on Dexter but she said she was happy to walk. So I hacked out today :biggrin: he was a bit jumpy but nothing too bad. He shied at the bag of sand in someones driveway on the way back, having walked by it without any problem on the way out!!!

Then I bathed him when we got back. Well shampoo'd all over his body. didnt tackle anything else as the yard manager is moving house and put all the fish from her fishpond in an old bath and put a fountain in it where we wash the horses down. Dexter didnt like the fountain and wouldnt stand still. Probably never seen a fountain.

then Caroline turned up and said that her friend couldnt come tomorrow so we are hacking out tomorrow at 9am before it gets too hot.