UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Not much snow here but what is in the arena is frozen and it's unrideable. The roads are not safe as water splashes have frozen into sheet ice so all work is cancelled for the moment.

Wanda threw another interesting reaction to the prascend after the vet wanted her to try going up to one tablet a day. YO Sam noticed her walk gait was a bit odd, she was loosing the rhythm and her legs were shaking when she was doing her stretches, to the extent she was nearly falling over! Apparently ataxia is one of the rare side effects, (trust Wanda) and she would be unsafe to be ridden, I did think as if anyone would ride a wobbly horse! So that's it she's off them and will be going onto Feedmark's C-Plus. She still looks a bit rough but that's because she was not clipped again and is rather brillo padish.

Banner did an escape from her stable and went on night manoeuvers which invovled her parking in the haylage bale and stuffing her face! Norty pony!

How's everyone getting on now the snow has cleared off, to be replaced with gales and rain of course :rolleyes:

Loki never does well after time off and having restricted grazing really has not done him any favours, he's a bit grumpy and tense, it might be more down to the fact he was vacinated last week, I always give him plenty of time off afterwards but it does seem to effect him around a week later, this is the third year I've noticed it so don't think Im being paranoid.

We're off to the Jock Paget clinic tomorrow, not really feeling it at the moment as have had a horrible horrible week, it was a year on Tuesday that my dad died and then on Wednesday Murfdog had to be pts, I always felt their passing would be linked but never expected it to actually happen :mecry: I know he was a good age at 16 but it doesn't make it any easier.

:GroupHug: :grouphug: Clare

Went to see Blue yesterday for the first time after my holidays, I had put him on full livery yesterday, just in case anything happened whilst coming home from holiday. When I got there, the YO had just given him his tea and his haynet. I went into his stable and he came over, nudged my pocket to see if I had any food, then went back to his net :laugh: :rolleyes: Nice to see he missed me :unsure:

Got a lesson on him tonight, could be interesting considering he hasn't done much for a few weeks :unsure:

Well, all things considered, he was remarkably good tonight. I always take my whip up to the school with me, but my instructor keeps hold of it until I need it. I was telling her about riding the Arab mare on holiday who was v laid back and hard work to get going in any pace, so Claire just kept telling me when he was behind the leg, to imagine I was riding her. This seemed to work, as she kept hold of the whip the whole time as once I got on his case to go forwards, he was fine :)

So sorry Clare :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Can I ask what grooming brushes etc you all use or what you recommend?

Ive seen Rambo, Cottage Craft, Oster or KBF99, are better quality brushes better than cheaper or do they do the same job?

Clare I'm so sorry to hear about murf :( My old boy is struggling at the moment too and I'm waiting to hear back from the osteopath any day. I'm not expecting good news, he's in a lot of pain :'(

I think spring is on the way, milo was decidedly feisty on our hacks at the weekend. We've got the vet on.Wednesday for jabs and teeth so that should be fun... !!

• 2 weeks later...

how is everyone getting on?

I have taken all solo schooling pressure off us at the moment, and go up to the school with the aim of walking 2 times around the school on each rein, and anything extra we do is a bonus. I am really struggling for motivation at the moment, so anything that gets me on board is good :) I have also started him on a glucosamine supplement, as he is a bit stiff when I get him out of his stable at the moment. When he goes out 24/7, he will be fine, but I think he is just stiffening up due to the amount of time he is in.

He was quite lazy last night in our lesson, had to do a few pony club kicks to get him to actually move, but we got there in the end :)

How is everyone doing?

We've been ticking over getting some jumping lessons in and with a bit of good planning went xc schooling in the sunshine last weekend.

Having a bit of a downer on yards again, seriously thinking we are going to have to move as the yard is just not working for me on so many levels, but Loki is happy so its hard to uproot him but at some point my needs must come into it too I guess :confused:

Keep hoping once spring arrives everything will be a bit easier :err: