UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Clare, I forgot to say what a superb picture that was!

YO Sam is sporting a black eye, bruised cheekbone and had quite a bad concussion after Wanda saw a ghost and did a star jump whilst being clipped and kneed Sam in the eye. Can't believe that she carried on clipping after the stars faded a bit and put up with the headache and dizziness for three days! Wanda bought her a bottle of wine and some flowers as an apology!

Banner :heart:

Ouch for YO Sam :ohmy: hope the wine & flowers eased it a little.

Had a lesson on Phoebe on Tuesday, did some grid work and jumping and had a lovely hack today.

Went yesterday to watch the hunt, part of me would love to do it but its not for the faint hearted :crying_anim02:

We only had drag hunting where I lived in Kildare (its all Stud land) its good to go with someone who knows what they are doing but is happy to hack along at the back.... just do as much or as little as you want...its really good fun...

Ive been put off hunting (not that milo would manage anyway) after a horse keeling over and dying on my local hunt last weekend. Scary stuff :(

Well I've been a big brave girl and have taken my entry form in for dressage. I was greeted at the yard by really friendly staff and they showed me around so I know where to go when I get there :)

It's not til next Friday but thought I'd be prepared :laugh:

Yay! Enjoy CP!

Did anyone watch the prog on channel 5 tonight that was filmed at Leahurst? They were filming it when Blue went over for his investigations, so was keeping a beady eye out for him in the background :)

I think I have the best vet ever, Blue has had his booster and teeth done today - Linda was due at the farm at 4.30 and she had 4 of us to see, anyway, sod's law saw to it that I didn't get to the farm till 6, and she waited for me to chat to be about how he was getting on! He has been dragging his toes a bit when walking down the hill onto the yard, so I wanted her to reassure all was ok, which he was :) She said because it is quite slippy on the hill, that is possibly why he is dragging his his toe, and so long as he is not doing it when ridden, that is ok :)

Dressage is nearly here, eeek! I have been.practicing bending/flexing, outline/contact, transitions...all that I can think of whilst we've been out hacking and minus one diva moment milo is doing well :) I havnt got anywhere to practice my test so I've been trotting around the living room instead :laugh:

Only disaster is that I washed my white saddlecloth to discover its got bizarre marks all over it so think I will have to buy a new one :(

How's everyone else? Dark evenings here we come...boooooo.....

Good luck with the dressage CP, don't forget to ride your corners, it's so easy to to cut them short. We need a vid or pictures!

Poor little Banner got a bit cold the other day and was shaking from her head to her tiny little feet. I was a bit cross as it was kind of poo pooed and ther were she will warm up coments all over the place. She would not have warmed up outside, she would have just got colder and colder so she put her turnout rug on over her waffle rug after lunging and made it clear that was how she should stay. I'm a protective of her, she's so tiny and was so unhappy, poor little pony.

Wanda gets more and more crazy as time goes on, she has started her meds and I think they have gone to her head. She always did put a good buck in when she was happy but she has taken it to new levels and has included a leap off the floor first then the back end goes way up in the air with a massive power buck, it's highly entertaining in the arena but not so much out on the roads!

Enjoy CP - am sure you will have a good time!

Aww Banner :wub: It has been really cold here as well :(

Had my first lesson on Friday since the end of March. He was an absolute superstar - really forward going and non spooky. My instructor was amazed with the improvement in him. I am still using my new girth, and he definitely seems more free through the shoulders and happy to move off my leg. Schooled him again tonight and he was ace - slightest leg aid and he went up a gear (even popped into canter at one point when I was asking for trot!).

(null)

Poor Banner... I hate seeing ponies shivering you did the right thing to get a rug on her....... as for Wanda .... Fly Bucking... she sounds like she is feeling a bit better.... when Race Horses do it .....we call it 'feeling well in themselves'... though I doubt the person trying to stay on is calling it that.....

Good luck for the dressage.... you will be fab.... I sued to practice my tests on the drive when I was little, used to draw out the school in chalk....(dont do that on your livingroom carpet)...

Edited by grace

Aww poor Banner, glad you got her warmed up :wub: and that Wanda is feeling better, even though you might not appreciate how she is expressing it!

Enjoy the dressage CP you'll both be great :flowers:

Good to hear Blue is doing well and sounds going better than ever :biggrin:

Poor Loki came in from the field beaten up yesterday with two nasty wounds on each hind leg, looks like he has got cornered as one definately a kick but the other is a puncture so think he has been pushed into something, by the time I got there he had been in a fews hours and really stiffened up and looked very sorry for himself, stuffed him full of arnica last night and think its has done its magic as he was no worse this morning. Hopefully just bruising and he will be looking better in a few days.

Not sure what to do really, he is no better no worse, I spoke to my vet last night and he said he should be back to normal within 5 days if just bruising, he was happy that the wound was far enough away from the stifle to not be too concerned at this stage. After speaking to him it got me thinking and I proded the wound and got no reaction, but if I prod near the stifle I definately do get a reaction so now I'm worried the wound area is not causing the soreness. So this morning I though I would lunge as sure he would be hopping lame and I would then get the vet, but he wasn't lame as such just not bring either hind leg underneath him and dragging his toe a bit on the leg he has the sore stifle. Of course five days takes us to Friday evening and not sure I want to wait until next week to get it looked at if not better by Saturday. Why are things never simple with horses!

The wound doesn't appear to be bothering him there is no heat or swelling and I can prod it without reaction, but he is reacting to prodding about 6 inches above that near the stifle, and having done some research it would seem there are quite a few ligaments around there. Vet hasn't seem him I spoke to him yesterday and as the wound wasn't particularly near the stifle and he wasn't lame he wasn't worried, but I left a message for him this morning saying that actually he seems sore on the stifle rather than the wound and could he come out before the weekend.

Good luck with the dressage tomorrow CP :biggrin: