UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I definitely wouldn't tow with a max towing weight of 1400kg. Mine will tow 1800 (I think), but I won't risk it.

Am looking like this :biggrin: right now. Schooled Blue this evening and he was fantastic. Really forward going and listening to me, so I was brave and asked him for a few strides of canter, he was a bit unbalanced on the right rein, but he was fab on his left rein. Have sent a message to my instructor to ask if she can give us a lesson next week, as we are allowed to do longer schooling sessions now :)

Re towing, one point is your trailer weight is always taken as the max so even if you only have one lightweight pony on board if you have the capacity to tow 2 16.2 horses then you will be illegal if you have exceeded your kerbside weight.

See this, it makes my brain hurt!

The plated MAM of the trailer must not be more than unladen or kerb weight of the towing vehicle

The plated MAM of the trailer and the GVW of the towing vehicle when added together must not add up to more than 3500 kgs

The braked towing weight capacity listed for the towing vehicle must not be exceeded when the trailer is loaded with the horse

(horse plus empty weight of trailer must not add up to more than the towing capacity of the vehicle)

When loaded with the horse, the plated MAM of the trailer must not be exceeded

Brilliant news Gooster :)

PW the MAM is confusing me no end and is the maximum it can carry as opposed to what you are actually carrying :worried:

From the cars manual these are the figures....

Weights

Permissable GVW 1980

Unladen Weight 1417

Permissable front axle load 1020

Permissable rear axle load 1070

Trailer Weights

with brakes grads up to 12% 1400

with brakes grads up to 8% 1600

without brakes grads up to 12% 650

Shall post a reply on the H&H forum as well as see what they think.

Im like this :tired:

Ok very quick reply on H&H......

Originally Posted by EAD viewpost.gif

Tried to figure this out myself but the more I read the more confused I get confused.gif

I have a VW Passat Estate 2L petrol.....not 100% sure if the box I can use is a 505 or 510 but will it make much difference anyway.

I have a B & E licence.

From the cars manual.....

Weights

Permissable GVW 1980

Unladen Weight 1417

Trailer Weights

with brakes grads up to 12% 1400

with brakes grads up to 8% 1600

What I would be carrying would be a 14.2 (ish) pony at maybe about 400kg.

From those details can you tell me if my car is capable of towing?

Thanks

Trailer unladen would be around 920 kgs (MAM over 2000)

pony around 400 kgs

Towing capacity 1400 kgs (using lowest option)

920+400=1320 so under 1400 = all fine on a B+E licence smile.gif

Towing is always a minefield and like Clare says, im sure most people who tow are illegal!

Clare what a fantastic picture :)

Milo's been busy for the last few weeks so now he's having some well deserved time off. He's been to a jumping clinic with the riding club again where we did some more grid work to get him into the swing of things, and then on Sunday we went for a lesson at Milo's old posh yard for a lesson on course jumping, as really thats where I struggle, actually keeping him together between the jumps. All I can say is that he is a totally different horse. Cool, calm, collected. No tanking me into jumps, no p*ssing off on the other side, bouncy and rhythmical between the fences, and most importantly, my arms are still in their sockets :laugh: I honestly cannot believe he's been so calm. Having had a year off I thought he would go bananas. Maybe as he's feeling more comfortable now so he finds it easier. Who knows. But im very pleased with him :) No more jumping now for a while....

Had my physio out yesterday and she says hes looking better every time she sees him. He's getting the muscle back on his hindquaters and building more and more topline. She said his hind end and back is all even and pain free so she said I should have no reason to think that his hocks are hurting him, which is fantastic especially as we'd been jumping on sunday.

The riding school down the road from me run a competition once a month (as im sure ive mentioned before) and the next one is dressage. I think I might bite the bullet and have a go. They are doing Intro A first so I think I might enter for that, I would hope I could manage (more or less) a walk and trot test. The sheer thought of it terrifies the life out of me but I think I ought to do it, will the the black and white thing busy anyway. Ive never 'officially' done dressage before so, to you dressage people:

1) What are the really obvious and easy things I can work on so we dont look like numpties?

2) Its being run under BD rules so is there anything obscure I should know? I know its white gloves, no martingales, snaffle bit...

3) How does the booking in/warming up process differ to that of a SJ show?

4) How early should I arrive before my time?

It will be like the blind leading the blind :laugh:

Thats great news :biggrin:

Where are you hoping to go?

1. Its amazing how many points are lost through not being accurate, hit your markers and you are guaranteed a decent mark

2. BD rules sometimes mean you need a bridle number but not always so might be an idea to check. Obviously no boots for the actual test but you can warm up in them

3. Not much just go to the secretary on arrival, book in and collect your number if there is one. Also on arrival to warm up find the steward and let her know you are there

4. I normally leave an hour, 30 mins to faff around and 30 mins to warm up, but its really what works for you and Milo so it might take a few shows before you find the perfect formula.

Most importantly have lots and lots of fun :biggrin:

Easies marks to lose are for accuracy - make sure you ride round, proper sized circles. When changing the rein across the diagonal, you need to be back on the track at the letter, not hitting the track at the letter.

Practice your centre line, look at C and smile - make sure you are on the correct diagonal as you are going down the centre line for the rein you are going to be riding on first in the test.

You will get your time a few days before, where I go, you get your times online and email the organiser to say you have received them. I like to get there about an hour an a quarter before my test time, so I have time to tack up, get changed and work in. Let the steward know who you are as you enter the working in arena. Remember working in arena etiquette - pass left to left, no walking on the track etc.

When you do your final halt, salute (without whip in hand) and smile at the judge - remember it's all fun at the end of the day.

Biggest instruction I am going to give though is ...... We need photos/video :biggrin:

Was a bit frustrated when I got to the farm tonight, I work till 7 on a Wednesday, so I ticked on my sheet that I wanted him bringing in for me. When I got to the farm tonight at 7.20, he was still in the field :( He was fine, and it's probably my own fault, as I didn't text the YO to ask her to bring him in, I just assumed she would look at my livery sheet and bring him in. Will know for next week though :)

(null)

CP apart from all the usual riding advice, keep your head up and remember to breathe!

Well I've just had some gobsmaking news, both Banner and Wanda have cushings! We had 5 tested, 3 of YO Sam's and my two. Sam's were fine and I scored a bullseye with both of them. Banner at 12 is young to have it but she presents a fairly classic picture, Wanda's symptoms are less clear but I've thought for a while she was not just right. Having said that at the moment she is totally bonkers and goes most places at passage!

So with Little Lilli having 'very special needs' it would seem I now have two more specials!

Oh my goodness PW, that's a bit of a shock! Is there any medication for cushings or is it just a case of managing it?

Can anyone advise me as to which clip I should do this year? The first year I clipped him he was living out, we did a full clip but it was march by the time we did it so it was a lot warmer. Last year he was in at night at I did 3 full clips over the winter! This year he's out again, yesterday we got back from a hack and he was dripping so its time to take action! I have limited clipping skills, do you think a full clip would be too harsh or could I justify it with the sheer amount of hair he grows?

Oh no what a shock PW, hope you can get it under control for them both :flowers:

CP how about taking off all the neck and then come down in a kind of high trace from the wither so he basically has most of the hair off but leaving some on his back and quaters so he has some protection from the weather when he sticks his bum into the rain? Thats what I did for Loki a few weeks ago as didn't want to take everything off before we went eventing in case he got cold standing around and getting washed off. I normally do a very high blanket clip as don't like leaving his back muscles exposed but last year it was so mild I ended up doing one full clip then high blanket after that.

I tend not to be too precious about how he looks I just take the hair off the areas I feel needs to come off rather than doing a conventional clip :biggrin:

Banner has gone for the full clip! Her coat was 2.5 inches long already, that is because of the cushings, she looks awesome!. There is effective treatment for the cushings but no cure, I just have to see the vet to sort out drug therapy, the cost will be a bit eeeeek but they are both very much worth it.

Bannersclip.jpg

• Like 1

Aww Banner :wub:

Had a clipping disaster today, brought him in to clip and started it about 5.30. I usually do a full clip and leave legs and head on, so that I don't have to worry about lines too much. Blue was an absolute angel, stood quite happily munching on his haynet. All was fine to begin with, but his bum fluff is like kryptonite for clipper blades, and my blades were blunt after a few strokes on his bum (newly sharpened too!). Then the batteries were on their way out, so I plugged them into the mains, however because the cord had been coiled in the box, it kept cutting out as the wire kept spinning around. Then it went dark. So I have left his bum for today, and clippers are back on charge :rolleyes: