UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Fantastic! Well done :biggrin:

Blue has decided winter has arrived early and it's time to come in at night :rolleyes: On Monday the weather was fowl, so decided to bring him in overnight. He stayed in yesterday as it was still horrendous. He went out today and when I got to the farm tonight, he was stood by the gate looking sad :rolleyes: :laugh: So I ended up bringing him in again, even though it wasn't raining that much. I rode him in the school and he was quite good. Still hollowing, but forward going and felt sound.

I spoke to my vet on Tuesday about his exercise plan, and whether it was normal for him to be hollowing into the trot, she said it is quite normal after over 3 months off, but as long as he isn't lame and going forwards, he will drop onto the bit in time.

(null)

How is everyone getting on?

Winter has started on our yard tonight, with all horses coming in. They are still in the summer fields during the day, but stabled at night. Think Blue is very glad of this fact, as he has come to love his stable. Last night, he cantered after me when I was walking towards the gate after I had checked on him! Big wuss!!

It's 5 years today since Blue arrived - can't imagine life without him now, but not sure where the last 5 years have gone :unsure:

Wow can't believe its 5 years!

Are you riding him in the school now?

I've changed to winter routine too, instead of leaving him out until I get there after work my friend is bringing him in at 4pm as they are getting restless and messing around more now. I'm really lucky as I put her horse out every morning and then in the winter she brings in four days a week as she works part time, saves me so much money!

I know, it feels like yesterday that I was horse hunting!

We are back to riding in the school, we are allowed up to 20 mins in just walk and trot, I reckon one more schooling session up to 20 mins, then we can increase it. Hacked out tonight with 3 others from the farm, I decked us out in hi viz, but the darkness came upon us much earlier than I expected. Blue led the whole ride, and had a couple of spooks (one at a flattened cardboard box on the floor :laugh: ), but was an absolute angel. Coming back up the lane, it was pitch black and he walked up there with no problems!

Ok...Im going to try not rant too much, but I have finally got to the bottom of the 'broken down horse for a pound' situation...my sister went to the yard and was pulled aside by one of the girls who keeps her horses there.... its seems there was a plan....which was to give me the 'sob story' about loving the horse so much but being terrified of him, to get me out at the weekends (giving up my time and risking my neck) to re school him and get him fit....then pretend she was keeping him to ride/hack but actually to sell him on...for a profit....to buy herself a native pony of some description in the spring sales... Im afraid I am livid.....but even more worried about the horse now...

Urgh, some people are just awful :( One thing you could maybe do is offer to help reschool him for a fee (say £10 an hour), that way horse is helped, and they won't make a massive profit as they will have paid for your time and expertise :unsure: Then you can stay involved if you wanted to, and make it perfectly clear to any potential buyers, that he has been injured in the past, and cannot be hammered.

Just ordered Blue a new girth, the dressage team had a new super duper girth for the Olympics, that is supposed to work wonders. However it costs £220+++ I flatly refuse to pay that for a girth, but there was a big long discussion on the BD forums about it, and one user had tried a similar one from an eBay seller - £30.... Her horse felt much happier and free through the shoulder with the girth, so I figured for £30, it is worth a try...

That's great Clare! Saves you time and money!

Grace, poor horse :( like gooster says, maybe offer your help but for money so they don't take the pee!

Milo fine, he felt a bit odd last week in his left canter, not lame but struggling to carry himself. But, there are a multitude of things it could've been and he feels much better now. He had the farrier last week which always makes him sore, I didn't get to ride much so he may well have just been stiff and I noticed today that my saddle is sitting way too low on his withers so need to get that seen to!

I'm pannicing a bit about what to do with him over the winter in terms of riding. Ive been spoilt at all my past yards having floodlights in the school but now I'm going to be limited to daylight hours and i won't be able to do anything with him anyway if the ground is too hard. He needs to be kept busy otherwise those darned hocks seize up a bit so not sure what to do with him. I can book lessons etc at places with a surface but transport is limited and obviously that's going to end up very expensive. I guess i'll just have to do my best with what I've got!

Well the plot thickens....Im not sure she actually got a passport when she bought this horse..so I have been very very calm and suggested she speak to her yard owner to see if she will take him on for a companion horse to use on the yard....as he is lovely and calm...and in the summer could possibly do a bit of light hacking....the horse clearly needs to be retired....Im remembering to breathe and everything...

@ Clare I cant believe the price of some of these girths....the mind boggles....

@ Milo, could you do a bit of swimming with him over the Winter, a girl I work with swam her pony to get him over an tendon op and was so thrilled with the results has carried on taking him every month....he is a coloured horse and she says the side benefit is a lovely sparkling pony at the end of it.....

All sounds very odd Grace!

Gooster I too was impressed with the new type girth until I saw the price!! Can you send me a link to the Ebay version please :)

CP I guess the first winter will be a learning curve, can you ride before work at all?

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/dreamteamproductsltd/?_trksid=p4340.l-

2559Linky to seller's eBay shop :) It's the curved French leather girth. I will report back on the outcome when it arrives.Schooled Blue tonight, he was really forward going again, not bothered by a few loud fireworks that went off whilst I was riding either. He really is a good boy.Going to HOYS on Sunday with my YO - she had a spare ticket and asked if I wanted to go along with her - quite excited, only got a couple of bits on my shopping list - cleaning stuff for my dubarry boots, a couple of haynets and a thermatex rug for Blue. They were on offer last year and I regretted not buying one for him.

£220 for a girth :ohmy:

Rode Barney Rubble last week in the lesson...holy god he was like a wee steam train.

Was out with Phoebe over the weekend and rode her again yesterday, it had rained though was quite warm so the midgies were out in swarms.....I was bloody ate alive :competitive:

All being well im hacking her down for another lesson on Saturday morning.

My friend is going down with me....must get him to get a piccie.

Ok yesterday I spent most of the day watching Goffs Orby yearling sales online (I know what a sado) but my best friend Eimear works for The Irish National Stud so I could watch her lead round her yearlings.....then text her to tell her what I thought...probably even more sad...:)

Aww Phoebe :wub:

Went to hoys yesterday with my YO and her friend - had a really good day. We had tickets for the evening performance, so left the yard at 10.30, so we had time to shop. I did so well not spending any money for the first couple of hours.... Then I bought 2 hay nets (they were on my shopping list, so that was ok), a thermatex rug for blue (£73 - bargain!), then I bought a beautiful stock/bib type thing, which will save me having to try and master stock tying :biggrin: then I bought a new riding hat. Hadn't gone with the intention of buying a hat, but the last few times I have ridden, mine has felt a bit loose. Turns out my head has shrunk, so I bought a lovely Charles Owen Ayr 8 hat :rolleyes:

In other news, Claire has sent me some quick sketches she has done of Blue in charcoal - she is amazingly talented - these 'quick' sketches would probably take me about a year :laugh: Anyway, this is the one I have chosen :)

E02164D0-A6F2-43D2-B758-A45952D6A7BA-6629-000018489AB6C134.jpg