UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Ah spookily I just answered my own question, I saved a webpage a few months ago for a lunging aid that I thought looked good for when Loki came back into work, and its turns out to be the Ho training aid :laugh:

Is it easy to fit? How do I know what lengh it should be?

We use draw reins, much cheaper and work exactly the same way! :laugh: Lay them across his back, bring through the front legs and attach to the bit. You will see if you need to put in a bit of a knot to shorten it, start with it looser until he gets the idea. When he is lifting his back and stretching down the position of the rein will move further back. Proper ones vary between £40 & £60 which is a bit eek!

It is a much lighter piece of kit and doesn't 'fix' anything, the horse has to seek the contact encouraging roundness and engagement. Wanda's string neck and hollows behind her withers just disappeared but not overnight, it took hard work! :laugh: I'm now moving her up to the Richard Maxwell double lining in the second position as she is now ready to connect more.

I think you will see improvements fairly quickly with Loki as his self carriage and connection are already much better than Wanda.

Farrier has been out and Bumble has had mild lammi in one hoof. He reckons its a concussion lammi as his feet are so hard so are now being plastered in hoof moist.Apart from being a bit footy, he had no racing pulses etc. Hes fine now, but trouble is him and Annie do like to play races around the field :rolleyes:

Poor Bumble I know no lami is good but concusive is the better option I believe, wishing him a speedy recovery :GroupHug:

I am having to be very careful with Loki as the ground is so hard haven't been hacking much, really need some rain :rolleyes:

I have ordered my budget Ho :biggrin:

Hi all, budget Ho?? What on earth is that?

Hope everyones four hoofed friends are well, sorry to hear about Bumble.

My clan are fine, Newt has had a set back due to back issues but generally doing well.

And...... we have a new addition arriving at the weekend. So may I introduce you to Feebe

phoebE01.jpg

Phoebe02.jpg

She is 2 years old and standing at about 16.2hh, shes KWPN by Rubinero out of a Gribaldi mare. Having grown up dreaming of Black Beauty and Zorro to finally have my own stunning black mare is a dream come true. Lots of work to do but I am looking forward ot having a youngster to back again.

Going to be a busy summer :biggrin:

WOW Feebee is beautiful :wub: She's going to be enormous!!

Last night whilst I was grooming Earl I noticed he's got a hard lump on his spine. It definately wasn't there before, and its quite pronounced, you can see it if you look at him side on. Its about 3/4 of the way down his back. Ive poked and prodded it, it feels really hard, like his spine has raised. Its not bothering him at all and he's not lame.

YO had a feel and she thinks he's either rolled on something hard and his muscles have inflamed, or he's pulled a muscle in that area. Anyone else got any ideas?! Im going to ring the vet in the morning and see what he thinks....horses eh??!!

Oooh Feebee is gorgeous!! Absolutely huge though!!!!wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

Not sure what Earl's lump may be, it it wasn't hard, I would have suggested a fly bite, as Blue tends to get a few little lumps at this time of the year which are fly bitesunsure.gif

Had a lesson on the monster last Tuesday, and he was a bit of a git. He was really spooky and acted as though he had never been in the school beforerolleyes.gif He did some nice work between spooks, although when I asked him for canter on the left rein he just rushed his trot, so when I tried to rebalance him, he had a right strop and bucked with memad.gif Then when I asked him again for left canter, he pulled a face and went on the wrong lead!!! We managed to get it in the end, but he was really difficult!!! Have booked 2 lessons for next week, as we have our dressage on the Sunday, and need all the practice we can getbiggrin.gif

Ive booked the Chiropractor man to see Earl on Saturday morning to see if we can find out what this lump is - will keep you posted!!

Interestingly the farrier came yesterday and immediately asked if Earl had had any promblems with his back because he's been dragging his back feet. So either Earl is being a lazy bum or he's obviously got some ongoing back issue.

Hopefully the Chiro man can help..if not ive got the vet coming next Thursday.

No showjumping for me at the weekend then :mecry:

:GroupHug: Earl

Bumbles also done something to his back end. He starts walking almost lame and back end isnt tracking up, after a few minutes hes much improved. Last night i was gently pressing along his spine then as i got to his hip area he literally leapt in the air. So silly devil obviously wants another sicknote. I really should give in and retire him permanently that way he'll be in good health for the rest of his life :laugh: Trying to find out when the boneman :rolleyes: is back over

Good news! Had the Chiropractor out this morning, he was absoloutley amazing.

After a lot of bending, pulling, and clicking he said that the problem is actually Earl's saddle. He said Earl is very sore on the muscles on his withers and he's compensating for using his back muscles by using his neck muscles which were also sore. Therefore he's not using his back so he's lost all his muscle tone in his saddle area which is why you can suddenly see a lump of spine sticking up. He's given me the number of a master saddler so hopefully he will be able to come out and see me pretty quickly.

Other than that he said Earl's joints, hips and muscle tone are all really good and there's no probelms to worry about at all :)