UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Hello every one

erm..... perhaps I should take the bit back about how he will do everything for a polo.... nearly everything..... :rolleyes:

Solo is very handsome :wub: Loving his ickle pink nose, although I may be a little biased :laugh: Do you have to cover him in sun cream in the summer?
:laugh:

I always run out of ways to trick him into having his nose creamed, although once hes caught he gives in easy.

one year when he was kept at part livery where the owner of the stables checked on him for me in the mornings because I was unable to get down first thing, she never did it, although she told me she did. His nose was awful. I moved yards that year. :( and hes never had a problem with sunburn since. not that wehave many sunny days :wink:

Great news about Zena nee Patricia (first horse I know of called that!). Really happy for you.

Frant photos would probably be due then Di :wink: and I would love to see your 30 yr old Jay1. I am a big Dun and Highland fan.

Helloooo Helen! Where do you keep him, the facilities look excellent.

I had a real treat today and went to the Parelli day at Your Horse Live with Sarah, and bumped into another Sarah we all know :biggrin:. There was some wet stuff leaking into our eyes at points!!!

I am very much in both Sarahs' debts for opening my eyes. I just feel very regretful that I wasn't awakened whilst Duke and I were training and competing, it would have been such a huge help. I am planning to try it on Squeak though who at the age of nearly 28 has been pretty much unridden his whole life and only handled to groom and 'see to'. Before he became mine he wouldn't even pick up his feet very well so is still quite raw material. He is also very flighty (skitty warmblood) and doesn't half over-react to things. He won't load, his old Mum tried to move yards about 15 years ago and after he refused to get on the lorry after a very long battle, he has simply stayed put! He is also very dependent on Duke so trying to get him to do something independently (even just walking through the gate first) is not straightforward.

Edited by reds

Evening all, when I get chance I'll add photos from today. And yes I think we all got a little tearful at one point!

Its never too late Lindsey to start, I went through a bad patch a few months ago about how I'd let Easta down by not doing this fully earlier and how different she would be today etc etc. But its journey and we're on that journey and I love spending time with both my horses.

Oh did I mention... ONLY 7 DAYS TIL BLONDE ONE IS HOME!!! So my soon to be 3 horses again.

Am riding out tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed for dry weather. Am off now too look for bareback pads :wink: :rolleyes:

OMG!!!

Where's Sarah Wiccs?

:ninja: I HAVE FOUND WESTERN BRIDLES WITH PINK BLING ON THEM! :ninja:

Just don't tell Lindsey :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

I had a real treat today and went to the Parelli day at Your Horse Live with Sarah, and bumped into another Sarah we all know :biggrin:. There was some wet stuff leaking into our eyes at points!!!

I am so envious as I watch it on telly :huh:

Went with my boss to a dressage competition at Patchetts. She entered...... ooooh lets see if I can remember this..... p13 and p17 (I think), and did quite well with a 6th in the first and 5th in the second class. Roxy was so chilled out! Absolutely gorgeous 5 year old mare, trotting around the warm up menage on a long loose rein, Gina practically holding it by the buckle, and Roxy just stretching her neck down and forward, so great to see.

She had one test in each indoor school, and Roxy did not like so much the second one, the walls were making creaky noises due to some heating system, so had a couple of tiny spooks, but came back wonderfully.

After bragging about boss and feeling so happy about her whole way of handling/caring for her horses :wub: , I have to say you do get to see some pretty awful riding when you go to places like that :mellow: won't go into detail, but it just made us both sad to see. Not so much other people there for the event, but mainly liveries.....

Went with my boss to a dressage competition at Patchetts. She entered...... ooooh lets see if I can remember this..... p13 and p17 (I think), and did quite well with a 6th in the first and 5th in the second class. Roxy was so chilled out! Absolutely gorgeous 5 year old mare, trotting around the warm up menage on a long loose rein, Gina practically holding it by the buckle, and Roxy just stretching her neck down and forward, so great to see.

She had one test in each indoor school, and Roxy did not like so much the second one, the walls were making creaky noises due to some heating system, so had a couple of tiny spooks, but came back wonderfully.

After bragging about boss and feeling so happy about her whole way of handling/caring for her horses :wub: , I have to say you do get to see some pretty awful riding when you go to places like that :mellow: won't go into detail, but it just made us both sad to see. Not so much other people there for the event, but mainly liveries.....

I know how you feel. This is another reason I am glad I am away from the horsey circuit these days.. I was only discussing this with a friend of mine yesterday about seeing sooooooooo many horses being ridden around with their noses down on their chests and the gear they are wearing. They have GOT to be ridden "on the bit" in the "perfect outline". Excuse me why don't you learn to ride from your seat, hands and legs and your mount will autimatically go in a perfect outline, or hopefully will :) ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrr.

I had the most wonderful AI working for me when I had the riding school, she was trained by Pammy and Brian Hutton. When I first saw her lunging her dressage horse and warming him up my heart used to be in my throat. She used to let him go round with his nose on the ground and I could visualise him tripping and she used to laugh at me. Her lessons used to be full of riding without stirrups and reins which the kids used to laugh and laugh, but my god they learnt Balance. Also she never blamed the horse or pony and had a great knack of getting the best out of her riders, whether they were useless or not.

You stick with your boss she sounds great to me.

Great to read that someone actually does let their horse stretch

My friends old boss (shes just finished working with horses) was trained by Pammy Hutton..... Kay is fab on a horse tho its a long time since i saw her ride.... i used to watch her teach, it was a joy to watch.... my friend has taken after her old boss and rides amazingly.. Marie has a horse which kay bred...

Tilly at 6 months

img020-1.jpg

Tilly rising 4 having been broken 6 months

img030-1.jpg

And 6 months on

img028.jpg

Ooo, Tilly's a nice horse! :wub:

Wot minging weather! Mucked Wandy Woo out this morning and did all the jobs getting wet and cold doing so, went for lunch and to dry out. Took the dogs for a walk getting wet and cold doing so, no dogs got wet during this exercise as they were all wearing their Landa rugs and very nice they looked too! Took them back home and dried out a bit then went back up the yard to ride, howling wind and horizontal hail greeted me as I got out of the car, YO had brought the horses in and WW was happily chucking her haylage out of her haybar and wanting her tea. As I was already wet and cold again despite enough layers to challange a bag lady I wimped out of riding and awarded WW a day off! Came home and turned the heating up! After seeing the weather forecast I don't think tomorrow will be much better but she will have to work whatever, she won't be happy! :laugh:

Woke up this morning heard the howling wind and rain and decided not to ride and have have half hour extra in bed, so it is not all bad :laugh:

I have a dressage clinic with Fiona Foy tomorrow, really looking forward to it, just keeping everything crossed he comes in with his shoes on tonight, if he does I think he will be staying in tomorrow, not going to push my luck :rolleyes:

Tilly is rather lovely :wub:

I know what you mean Anne, some of the sights I see when I go out are very depressing :(

Oooh just had my place on a jumping clinic at Wellington confirmed, it will be Loki's first time in an indoor school, gawd help us :laugh:

Am about to go out and face the weather, joy of joys. I plan to do ground work and maybe ride. Am on the hunt for a bareback pad to improve my seat.

Some pictures from Your Horse Live on Friday. I didn't photo Charles Wilson who was brilliant, I was completely inspired by him!

DSC02821.jpg

My fellow cowboys for the day, my OH and my friend Zoe.

DSC02853.jpg

David Deptford showing us how to do spins on his stallion, I think it was Jay he had with him on Friday.

David and Paul Hayler giving a Dressage and Western demo, about how similar the two are.

DSC02849.jpg

DSC02848.jpg