UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I'll do some pics of the western tack and some explanations as I guess my pictures look like we're doing not alot but its still early days for us but the progress we've made is huge already. I'll put osmething on my blog when I get chance to right it that is :rolleyes:

Not at all Sarah!!! I was particularly loving the rein back, especially as tradition says to squeeze with your hands as well as your legs! That puts a fly in the books!

Injection and then hibiscrubbed her legs, which is easier as its her legs. I did debate frontline myself but after someone told that sweet itch could be cured by giving dog ivermectin as an injection to horses and a friend decided to give it a go and her horse dropped down dead from a stroke I'm a little careful about cross species drugs!

:ohmy: That's is why I stopped having Rolo injected for feather mites - the injection is based on cattle ivermectin and is not licensed for use in horses. My vet had one horse that had a bad reaction and stopped doing it.

Shame they are ear based - I swear by pig oil and sulphur! :biggrin:

Everyone has suggested I try a western saddle on Rolo (tho I doubt that I would find one wide enough!) so be interested in pics etc!

My cousin and uncle ride western on Flyer and Mr B. Mr B is really really wide (clydesdale x welsh we think), and a western saddle fits him ok. I think they are treeless, so fitting is much easier than with an English saddle, although I don't know. I'm probably waffling rubbish!

Mum and dad both had a ride on Blue today - mum really enjoyed it, she rode him out down the lane, and managed to get him to listen to her and were walking in circles etc. Dad rode him on the way back, and Blue only had eyes for home, dad was trying to get him to circle, and he wasn't willing to at all :rolleyes: :laugh:

Blue :wub:

Dr Green has done the trick and Duke has been so busy accomodating the good Doctor since they moved fields that he hasn't had chance yet to rub his ears :biggrin:. They are also looking lovely and mud free. Oh if only it could last.... :laugh:

Yay, hope Duke continues to forget about his itchy ear :flowers:

Mr Newt and Easta are looking great, that saddle looks sooo comfy :biggrin:

Sounds like your parents had fun Gooster, and Blue too :laugh:

Loki went out on Saturday and although the hairest part was getting him to the field everything went well and he was quite sensible once he settled, and Sunday he didn't even run off.

Sadly yesterday he pulled the shoe off :angry: he was seen running around being an idiot, or I guess in his eyes having fun, but I am pulling my hair out here, he is back in and farrier out tonight, but tomorrow there will be a new horse in the field and his best playmate is going back out after a few days box rest, so I don't have much hope in him keeping them on :mecry:

Perhaps Loki thought his shoe wasn't the right style or fashion? Obviously he wouldn't want his chums giggling at him in frumpy shoes. :wink: Norty boy!

Glad Dukey's ear isn't bothering him as much.

Thanks for coming over yesterday. Sorry I was a big woosy girl-bag.

I'm rubbish and not good enough for Pops. :mecry: He deserves better than me. :mecry:

QUOTE (wiccaweys @ Oct 14 2008, 11:06 AM)

I'm rubbish and not good enough for Pops. He deserves better than me.

What's happened? As Clare said he's a lucky boy to be with you and her ladyship!

Norty boy Loki, now you keep that shoe on next time. Have you tried the expensive new bit yet Clare and how did you like it. Reason I'm asking is that Sam is having control issues with Kim the pocket rocket and I mentioned it to her.

Wanda has the most awful habits! I was getting her ready today and as her legs were wet I put polo bandages on, this of course takes a tad longer than putting on boots. As I'm winding the bandage round her leg I felt something trickling down my hand and suddenly realised it was warm, OMG it was only liquid poo that Wanda was happily squirting from her bum! It had run down the arm of my fleece, across my hand and on to her pretty purple bandages and did not smell very nice at all! Honestly you can't take her anywhere! :laugh:

Reason for her bum problem is a slightly wetter than ususal bale of haylage, have chucked some brewers yeast in her tea so hopefully this will clear up her little problem!

Eeewww thanks for sharing that :sick01: :laugh:

My lovely expensive bit is sitting in the tack room doing not a lot, it was brilliant for control but I found he kinda sulked in it, being the sensitive boy he is :rolleyes: am more than happy to send it to Sam if she wants to have a play with it, I was thinking about putting it on Ebay at some point anyway :)

For some reason (Pendlewitch) I'm feeling a bit icky after eating my sandwich just now :laugh:

Mrs Wiccs is to do 100, 000 borstal style push ups for being crap at beating herself up and nothing else. Pops can be a jogger and doesn't have the most sensitive of mouths and Mrs Wiccs Madam just needs to build up her trust in him. He is a very safe boy but he does have his little ways as don't they all. Sarah after riding him more and getting your confidence in him, you will get there. It's all about building up the experience and understanding each other.

NOW GET ON WITH THOSE PRESS UPS.

You are giving him a good home, he has his Ladyship for company, he has you and his Daddy there 24 hours, he has his own field and he has you to worry and spoil him. What's wrong with that?

I will see you on Sunday, you were so much better yesterday already, look at what you have achieved :flowers:

Ms Wiccs... ~STOP IT NOW!!!

Have some confidence in yourself. I am happy to offer some ground work advice that will help witht he ridden work, just give me a call anytime or pm. You're not a million miles away either, less as I spent half my week in Coventry.

I spent years saying I wasn't good enough for Easta. And now regret missing those years.

Focus on the positives and what you've done to date. Things don't happen over night but you'll get there :GroupHug:

NOW GET ON WITH THOSE PRESS UPS.

423.png

Thanks guys for the support. :) I'm a big girlie pants.

I am happy to offer some ground work advice that will help witht he ridden work, just give me a call anytime or pm.

That would be great Sarah, thank you. :)

And of course as well as Pops, you will get to meet the rather lovely Lady T. :)

That would be great Sarah, thank you. :)

And of course as well as Pops, you will get to meet the rather lovely Lady T. :)

I can think of some ridden exercises that would help with Pops initially, and could give you some ground work to do to build on that.

I've gone from not being able to canter Easta because she took the bit and leapt or rushed forward it was scary to see to now canctering on a loose rein or rope halter. Took a bit of reschooling but it also gave me confidence to tackle other things, with her. Now we have a better relationship and she is starting to respect me we've got a long way to go.

If anyone is interested in Natural Horsemanship, then at Your Horse Live on the 7th Nov will be Natural Horsemanship Day, with demonstrations all day fro msome of our top trainers. Also lots of information stands etc. The day I started on this route was like having my blinkers taken off and I'ven ever looked back.

RMF: Am going to look at some land next week to maybe buy to move my horses to, its adjacent to where my friend is having stables, menage etc and will be the first leap to my Horsemanship business venture.... SCARY PANTS!! :unsure:

Mrs Wiccs - we all have days when we feel like that :GroupHug: I have been having them with Rolo since May - and am currently only being led around on him :rolleyes:

It will come!

Wanda made me laugh - bad girl! :laugh:

Loki was obviously very appropriately named!! Definitely up to mischief! :)

What is it about animals - you abandon worrying about one for a while so another one steps in to the breach! Postponing the decision to sell Rolo took a huge weight off my shoulders - I now have something to worry about with Nemo :rolleyes:

His constant and only field companion of the last 2 years is being moved from the yard. He adores her and is going to go ballistic. I would ACP him but I can't risk it because of his epilepsy & narcolepsy.

He will have an elderly mare put in with him, but, if I know Nemo this will not prevent him behaving like a loon. I am so scared that he will injure himself - not sure that he could recover from a tendon injury now.

They were separated for about 10 mins a few weeks ago when she wouldn't be caught and they were both seeing the farrier - Nemo went mental :(

He is a miserable old git with other horses, but when he does like them, he goes for it.

Poor old boy, the bottom will fall out of his world at the end of the month.