UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Taking advantage of the good weather this weekend, we bathed Finn yesterday and Frant today. Frant was covered in bot eggs so spent an age getting them off his shoulders, neck and legs. Livery owner comes back from her holiday on Wednesday so I will be giving my month's notice then. To be fair to her, Frant has been really well looked after there - and I've had some fun, including a natural horsemanship lesson - but I want him back home because I prefer him here. It's nothing to do with the way he's looked after but I miss him. He's lost a bit of weight there but that's probably because I was trying out the Simple System on him and he won't eat enough of it to keep weight on so I've reverted to old fashioned bran, nuts, sugar beet and (as a last resort cos I know it puts condition on him without blowing his mind) Baileys No. 1. My biggest concern is his feet - my farrier was brilliant and I've used the yard farrier who is supposed to be good but I'm not impressed so I'll be glad to get him home just for that.

He'll be pleased to be home and his mate Finn will be pleased to see him.

I know what you mean about farriers, I got through 6 in my first 8 months in Wiltshire they were all dreadful. I eventually shipped one in from Rugby who came to shoe all mine every 5 weeks. Easta's lameness was caused by poor shoeing and caused damage to her deep digital flexor tendon so I am completely anal about how shes shod. My new farrier seems ok I'll let him do another set and will decide after that. I am considering barefoot but not sure Easta's feet will cope. Newt is fine barefoot so hope to keep him that way.

I am debating going to part livery though at my yard as the groom is useless I am going down everynight to ride but then send 30 mins remucking out my stables.... as she appears to skip out and deep litter the banks which I don't like. If I leave them all week then I know saturday I'll be faced with shifting 12 barrow loads of cr*p out their stables and its exhausting! While i will struggle itme wise for part livery at least they will be done to my standard and I don't have to keep having a little 'chat' with the groomer everyother day to get my point across. My other gripe is she never sweeps the yard or tidys up after herself... I guess as its my old yard I know how tidy I kept it and now it regularly looksl ike a bomb site which is unneccessary.

right whinge over and time for bed, been working til now and need sleep before I drive to Coventry tomorrow :rolleyes:

Wow you've been busy this weekend!!!!

Lady T has been talking to Kane...she's learning bad bad habits :laugh: :laugh: .

J looks so cute! :wub:

K9Fran, Sam is gorgeous!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: Just my type!

Whoops Clare!! :laugh: He's keeping you on your toes!!

I'm not surprised you want Frant home, I loved having Kane at mine. I'd miss having the facilities and people around to chat to but I'd still one day like him home.

Sabina is that the one we were talking about??? You lucky thing!!! I can post some photo's if you want?

Had a lovely weekend, Kane has thrown a few more tricks at me!!! :laugh: Took him for a lovely hack on saturday and he was fantastic, didn't put a foot wrong...until we got into the last field and he decided the time was right to remind me exactly why I invested in an expensive bit!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: He threw a little buck ( :ohmy: Kane doesn't buck!!) and head down bolted for the gate...I think he thought I was going to ask him to turn cos I have been using that field as an anti-napping practice field! :mad: Anyway after a minute I realised he wasn't going to stop so had to put the brakes on...to which he did a sideways leap and turned and headed back up the field (durrrr away from home!!). I had a slight moment of panic and did my usual looking around for a soft place to land, and then pulled myself together and decided I wasn't falling off and he WAS stopping!!! :laugh: Luckily a random sheep bolted out in front of me and I think it put Kane's brain back into focus and he stopped..okay we were also nearly in the hedge too!! I was abit shakey when I got back to say the least!!! :laugh:

Yesterday I schooled and someone came and put a little jump up for me, she then helped me with my jumping position (or lack of it!!) so I felt happier cos I didn't once feel like he was over jumping with me and scaring me!!! :laugh:

Decided with one of the other girls we are going to have a regular sunday hack, we both love hacking and have both been working on our respective horses to get them to hack alone, but now think once a week we can treat ourselves to some fun. So next week we are going to the beach, I've really missed it cos it's too far to hack alone (and it's past his old home so I don't fancy trying that alone!!).

J has had the riding bug for ages but I have been putting him off.........

Wednesday he went on a 'pony day'

:wub:

RidingHenry.jpg

PERFECT :wub: :wub: :wub:

The outside of the shelter was reproofed at the weekend so bits are fenced off for a few days to keep the horses a safe distance away. Front of shelter is still totally accessible but the boys decided to be right wussess and hadn't been in all day!! They were stood out in the rain, grazing with Duke giving me a very unusual look when I arrived. He is not one for standing out in the rain! Funnily enough, when I filled a net of winter reserve haylage and tootled down to the shelter with it, there were two galloping horses right behind me who leaped straight inside :sleep: :wub:

Oh, and they wouldn't even stand in their stables to eat their tea :rolleyes:

:bigloveye: I'm not in the slightest jealous................ :glare: :glare: :glare:

This is Sabina's new girl. (I think this is her isn't it???? :laugh: :laugh: )

Our second filly arrived during a heavy rainstorm on June 26th.

Once again Errin Juno has produced a stunning foal by Harrier.

To be Registered Baps main reg grade C & Aphc (USA)

SOLD and will be going to a wonderful new home.

jfb08.jpg

jfc08.jpg

thanks jackie- i must learn how to post pics!

thats my girl shes now called inca but her full name is august spirit of inca

have always had coloureds before (will get jackie to post a pic of my boy too!!!)so an appaloosa is a real change but i went to see her and was smitten :wub: at 8 weeks old she is bold and friendly and lads on a hlater and picks her feet up

will stop with the proud mom bit now!!!!! :laugh:

*thud*

She is beautiful :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Went to the stables last night, and it had started to go dark, so by the time I had paid my rent and walked down to the field to check on Blue, it was really dark! Stupid me bought Blue a navy blue turnout rug and had put that on him. It took me bloody ages to find him, as it turned out he was stood with his bum to me, munching away on the grass :rolleyes:

I am so out of touch with all lately, but loved the photo of Josh, Becks. How grown up he looks there and so confident, too. :)

Ethan (grandson) is pestering me almost daily now to ride daisy, but the weather's been so awful and my 'down' periods withthe chemo seem to fall when the weather's good. At least little Daisy is settling and improving now, and less 'sour' too, to handle. She is even allowing me to make a fuss of her while she's eating now, and without getting shirty. She's starting to get her winter coat in, as are Merlyn and Bronnie. Soon will have three muddy teddy-bears.

It's looking as if the planning application will finally go through soon for the rebuild of the stables (touch wood) - although quite what the logic of the transport department's objections were over access, and their demands to have two parking spaces (one a disabled bay) for vehicles in a field of horses are all about... Oh well, we can always pitch the barrow-loads of muck onto the heap from those, I guess, but have told them I'll be damned if I'll park my old Merc anywhere near Merlyn or Bronnie! :rolleyes:

It's not looking as if any building will happen this side of next spring, though. Hope the old building will survive or can be patched up enough to last this winter out... Wings and Prayers for its survival appreciated, please! :laugh:

BTW, if anyone's looking for a good, reliable, family car, please see the 'Swap Shop' - my son's reluctantly selling his Vauxhall Vectra (with a donation to the TRPD Postage fund for rescues) because he's the chance to buy his mate's transit van, which he needs for work... and is 'nasty mummy' won't sell her tatty old Merc. :sleep: :wink:

I drove past the place where Inca lives last night (trying to sneek a peek) but couldn't see her!!! :glare: :glare: Very jealous ..you'll not get rid of me Sabina once she's with you!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Glad Daisy is coming along nicely Al, hope you are taking care of yourself too. :GroupHug: Will be lovely to have nice new stables.

Jayne I was just thinking last night I must invest in a head torch!!! My stable has lights but I think the fields are going to be fun to navigate in the dark, think I might be back to early morning visits to Kane sooner than I expect! :angry:

We've got the horse walker back working at the yard...much fun last night with 2 of the pony's in it!! One knew what he was doing but the other kept trying to go backwards!! :laugh: :laugh: General consensous was that I don't attempt to put Kane in it...Jayne said it's taken a year to mend and 'Tank Boy' is likely to wreck it in 5 minutes!!! :laugh: :laugh: How very rude!!!! :laugh: :rolleyes: