UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Hope the newbies have all settled in now Jacky and Kane has accepted them, cheeky monkey :wub:

It was lovely to turn Loki out nekkid today :biggrin: He rarely can as his skin is so sensitve to rain or flies, but thought I would risk it today, it was great to see him bright and shinning in the field, I bet he isn't so white and bright when he comes in :laugh:

He seems to be settling down a bit, still won't let anyone but me catch him easily, but heyhoo makes me feel special :dry: He is going to have to stay in all day on Friday as I can't get away from work to bring him in for the farrier, so his plan has backfired on him a bit :rolleyes:

Kane has new pals now Clare....the farmer turned out cows last night!!! :laugh: :laugh: I love watching them when they first come out, they were skipping and jumping!! Lynn was trying to see Indy and Fred's reaction to them...and they ignored them!!! :laugh: Minty and Kane went straight up to the gate and started snogging them!! :rolleyes:

How Loki was clean, glad he's feeling a bit better. :GroupHug: Kane doesn't let anyone but me catch him either....oh except for Paul who for some reason he loves! :laugh:

I know what you mean about them going out clean Clare, the appy boys go out all clean and white and come back in filthy because their turnout paddock is just dirt coloured as the mud has dried enough to let them out in it but no grass has come through so they go out, gallop and buck alot, then roll leaving big patches of hair as they are all moulting their winter coats out, and come back in muddy and happy.

Wanda, Kim and Obe have been stripping off, mega mutual grooming all round. Kim and Obe are loosing their coats in chunks and the clips have disappeared altogether, Wanda says she will keep her coat a bit longer, it may turn cold again!

I'm still not riding, it's not the knee replacement it's the tissues and hamstrings. NHS physio is USLESS, I had to get really stroppy before she would do anything! No point in going if she is just going to sit there and look at it. I'm whingeing and moaning because I'm not happy! :( What a sad moo I am! :worried_anim:

Congratulations on new foal arrival Katherine.

:flowers:

Hacked out with one of the new livery's last night.......it was interesting! :biggrin: Kane was trying to get him for the first half of the ride, Danny was scared!! We then made a bit of a silly decision and went up the long grass track for a 'little run'.....little run turned into a head down gallop with me eventually having to say 'can we please stop'!!! :laugh: :laugh: I had no stirrups by the end and Kane's head was literally up Danny's bum...which may I add had been bucking alot!!! :laugh: :ohmy: We did stop and think it helped cos by the time we got home Danny was completely in love with Donk's and Kane walked beside him without trying to eat him!! :laugh:

Off down the beach tonight to do some schooling and hopefully remind Kane that when I ask for a stop I do actually mean it!! :rolleyes:

sounds like fun Jackie :laugh: :laugh:

Looking forward to foal pics, we arent having any this year as the new barn and stables are being built - dont want a winter without having enough stables for everyone so its a quiet year this year just working with all of the babies from last year, backing the 2 year olds and also welcoming our new 2 year old boy who we are picking up in a few weeks time :)

Got some video of Bighead getting let out into his paddock for a hoolie, its on Mr CS's phone so will try and download it before he goes away on Sunday. I love my boys, they are all so different but so much fun :wub:

wow how did this thread get to 200 pages!!! some catching up! still riding ziggy (just off up there now infact) just moved yards to a new livery yard with a huge school and an indoor one too :-) am armed with some schooling exercises from your horse to do today ;-) although they never quite work how you want them too - ziggy normally goes round with his head high in the air until hes worked for a while...really need to get some more lessons to improve i think!

will catch up on everyones news later :D

:wavey: Phoenix. Glad to hear all is going well with Ziggy :biggrin:

Wow look at Bighead go :ohmy: :wub: Good luck with the backing :laugh:

I have had a lovely weekend, managed to ride early both morning avoiding storms, nasty men driving trotters, and trail bikes. Loki has been so much more chilled these last few days, so hopefully whatever caused that has passed.

Had a lovely canter yesterday and there was a ditch like puddle across the track, I felt him lock onto it and knew he was going fly it, met it perfectly and pinged over it, landed and accelerated away, twas rather a good buzz :biggrin:

Getting sooo excited about going to Badminton on Saturday :elefant: considering I didn't think I actually needed anything my shopping list is getting longer by the day, I may need someone to conviscate my credit card :laugh:

:mecry: I can't see video's at work!!! Need photo's please Freya!! :laugh:

Had a traumatic weekend!! Went hacking with new livery on saturday to try and chill out Kane with him, all was fine...well one little attempt to bite him!! Cantered alot on the beach to wear them out then when we got back we decided to put them all in together. The 2 youngsters and Minty had already been mixing with the 2 new ones so it was just Kane and Danny!!

All seemed fine, we made sure there were 4 of us there and we pooh picked so we could keep an eye on them. 5 minutes and it was calm, then Danny charged at Donks and all hell broke loose!!!! Kane went absolutely nuts, Danny completely backed off (actually ran away scared and hid behind Minty!!). It was horrible, Kane kept grabbing Donk's by the neck and poor Donk's couldn't even turn around enough to kick out! I was in shock, I've never seen anything like it! Sabina, Donk's owner kept saying it's fine Donks can handle himself..but with a horse 14 years his senior and twice his weight (and shod!!) attacking him he really couldn't protect himself!! The only saving grace was Kane didn't kick out at all, he just used his weight and teeth!!

Poor Donks fell a couple of times and poor Tinks (his pal) who is only 3 kept trying to go and help him but would just back off as soon as Kane turned towards him!! Luckily the rest of our lot just kept out of it!! It did calm down eventually and we got Donks rugged up to protect him abit. Poor Lynn spent most of that afternoon and evening just watching the fields to make sure it didn't kick off again!! We think they may have had another go later at night because Donk's rug was ripped and open and Kane is now sporting a lump on his chest!! Poor Donks has masses of hair missing and some cuts but otherwise he seems fine.

Yesterday they were keeping a distance from each other but Tinks did come over and try to groom with Kane so I think Kane has decided he's won and the field is once more his kingdom (of course we all know it's Minty that rules but we let Kane think otherwise!!!)

I have to say I was most upset, I know it's nature and no matter how long we'd left it it was going to happen because the 2 boys needed to work out the pecking order, but it was horrible and feel guilty that my horse has hurt someone elses.

That sounds a bit scary Jacky - I think as long as there is nowhere in the field where they can corner each other, things should be fine and settle down eventually. Nemo is horrific with new horses, his preferred mode of attack being to bite then run away - it takes about 3 weeks with him, but he does calm down eventually - we just made sure that everythign new was booted and rugged to be on the safe side.

Great news that Loki has settled Clare - sounds like a lovely ride :)

Apologies to everyone for not commenting on their posts - so many posts, so little time!! :laugh:

Lunged Rolo in full tack on saturday - he had a complete panic attack at one point, but was able to calm him down eventually and sort the offending bit of kit out, he was much more settled after that - got some really nice trot work out of him. I then rode him around the school for a few minutes - just to see how my back would copy - it is not happy with that saddle, but it is going to have to get used to it. Sarah then led us around to the yard by a different route - flappy silage bags, slag heaps, scarey puddles etc - she then tricked me in to beign led down the lane on him! :laugh: He was fine! But we couldn't go far - I think because my back is quite stiff at the mo, I found that I felt quite unbalanced in that saddle. We will get there! And it did feel good to be riding again - even if it was just being led. in walk :laugh:

Nemo has taken priority for the time being so not sure what I will do with Rolo this week, but will try to do something :)

Ohhhh I soooo nearly took a tumble last night!!! :ohmy: Was schooling and he was being extreamly lazy and not working properly and then he tripped up!! He went down on one knee and I sort of hung on his neck!! Luckily he managed to right himself and I scrambled into position!!! :laugh: Gave us both a bit of a fright I think cos he was most responsive afterwards!!! :laugh: Thank goodness I school in a field where the ground was fairly soft cos he didn't hurt himself at all!