UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Everything crossed for Loki :flowers:

Bathed Blue again last night - he is still enjoying it!! Am hopefully going to lunge him tonight, as the school is finished!!! His lumps are definitely going down, so you never know, I might actually be able to ride him sometime soon!!

Glad Blues lumps are getting better & that Wanda is sound. Hope the same can be said for Wandas mum soon as well :GroupHug:

Hope Loki's bar shoes solve the problem too. What are Bar shoes. Is Loki doing bar work to earn money for Xmas? :biggrin:

Well I havent heard from Dexters owner at all this week. She should phone on Thursday evening. So have no idea what he has done. Didnt know if he was in or out so had to go up early on Friday in case he was in. He wasnt in. Went to his field- he wasnt there. Someone else had ponies in there. Then had to walk round and look for him. Weather wasnt great so just gave him a feed and checked him over and left him out. Really fed up and deflated now. I stood in his field and cried with frustration. Have another 6 weeks to go and am paying for all this aggro. She has had 48 hrs to phone me since and hasnt. Have just been up and checked on him again and given him another feed. Couldnt get there this morning as I was working. Will never have a share again.

Just had an update from Kendas new mum. She had eaten almost all her hay during the trip, was a bit warm, but happy enough and walked out of the trailer really calm and carefully. Was put in the stable next to her new pals, an adult pony, and a 2 year old pony, who were both curious about their new friend.

I am really happy that she seems to have found someone who will love her lots and keep us updated on her progress.

I have promised to send her loads of pictures of Kendas life. Am sorting through all the pics of her now!

Glad Blues lumps are getting better & that Wanda is sound. Hope the same can be said for Wandas mum soon as well :GroupHug:

Hope Loki's bar shoes solve the problem too. What are Bar shoes. Is Loki doing bar work to earn money for Xmas? :biggrin:

Well I havent heard from Dexters owner at all this week. She should phone on Thursday evening. So have no idea what he has done. Didnt know if he was in or out so had to go up early on Friday in case he was in. He wasnt in. Went to his field- he wasnt there. Someone else had ponies in there. Then had to walk round and look for him. Weather wasnt great so just gave him a feed and checked him over and left him out. Really fed up and deflated now. I stood in his field and cried with frustration. Have another 6 weeks to go and am paying for all this aggro. She has had 48 hrs to phone me since and hasnt. Have just been up and checked on him again and given him another feed. Couldnt get there this morning as I was working. Will never have a share again.

Why not get a loan pony from a sanctuary

Why not get a loan pony from a sanctuary

Well the plan had been to have a share so I would have the back up and the people around me so I could learn. However in reality the yard is too quiet, (I am frequently up there on my own) and the owner is inconsistent and unreliable. In just a few months I have become fond of Dexter and will worry about him terribly after I finish.

I finally had contact with owner tonight. In previous years it appears that she usually pays someone to ride Dexter every weekday for the first 2 weeks that he is back in work. Now I am wondering if this is because he can be a handful. Normally that would be the first 2 weeks of January but this year it wont be until she has had her operation and has completed her 8 weeks in plaster. As she doesnt have a date for her op yet, he is not going to be back in work before I finish my 2 months notice in 3rd week of Jan.

Bradders have you got your pig oil and sulphur yet?

Can anyone remind me of the name of the brilliant brush that everyone uses for feathers? it looks like a human hair brush. Thought I would buy Dexter one as his feathers are caked solid at the moment. Where can I get one? Ta muchly

:GroupHug: So sorry its worked out so horrible for you Bobbysmum. I'd definately think about Lesley's idea of loaning though. You obviously get alot of pleasure from being round horses so it's a shame to not carry on.

The brush you want is an Oster Mane and Tail. My bestest friend in the world (particually this morning as his tail was rock hard with mud!) :rolleyes: Robinson's sell them.

Hope Kendra is happy in her new home. :flowers:

Had a awful weekend, didn't ride cos it didn't stop raining. Fields are pure mud! I hate winter! :angry:

Fallen completely and utterly in love with Indy this weekend, I cannot wait for her to be ridden, she is really such a lovely kind horse! Lynn is having some problems with her at the moment (she kicked out when she was cleaning her back hooves and hurt Lynn) so I've taken over alot of her handling, Lynn doesn't want her fear to transfer to Indy so she thinks it's sensible for me to handle her cos I'm not worried by her. She's got a lovely quiet way about her, and isn't scared of anything! Walked her round the caravan site and she was trying to get into everyone's caravan's! :biggrin: Luckily she is a big girl so she'll be able to carry me!

Edited by JACKYSIAN

Oh Bobbysmum sorry it has all turned into such a horrid experience, poor Dexter I am sure he will miss you, but sounds like he is used to his life being so inconsistant :GroupHug: Definately consider a loan horse as Jacky and Lesley said, I think you would be a fantastic mum to a lucky horse :flowers:

Glad Kenda has settled into her new home :flowers:

Well done to Lauren for staying on :biggrin:

Jacky I am with you on the weather, mud, mud and more mud aagghhh! Certainly not what Loki needs right now with his dodgey feet :angry:

On that note I *may* have good news, I trotted Loki up for saddler yesterday and he seems sound, but not getting my hopes up too much until vet sees him on Friday :)

I really need some saddle advice, my physio noticed that the panels in my saddle were odd, one is longer than the other. To cut a long story short, saddler came out yesterday and said it is because I am wonkey in the saddle and as these saddles are designed to mould to horse and rider, it has moulded the way I twist, so one side is now longer than the other, but that it doesn't need altering :wacko:

I am not happy with the idea of the saddle being uneven, surely that can not be good for his back :unsure:

Below is a pic that Bradders has kindly played with for me, what do you think?

Saddle.JPG

Sorry everyone- very brief visit from me!

Naughty Fenicks!!! At least it was a striaight stop rather than a stop and swerve!

Great news about Wanda and Loki - not such great news about the saddle - can't see the ppiccie in work so not sure which one it is.

Not a lot to report from us, other than my little(!) chap was a little star yesterday - I decided to defuzz him from the chest and gullett area as he has been getting too hot - he has not had the clippers on his body without sedation before. I was sure he would be fine, so just gave him a haynet, let him stand loose in his stable and got stuck in!! I have never clipped properly before - and it showed - I had to get halp helf way through from Sarah, who did the lines, then left it to me to fill in! So he had 2 of us fussing around him at one stage and was an absolute angel throughout! Methinks he is beginning to chill out a bit!

Pig oil and sulphur has arrived, but I am waiting for my farrier to shoe him (next Saturday) before I apply it - didn't seem fair to my farrier to make him battle with oily legs! Even if it was his idea in the first place!

I am desperate to get Feniks clipped. The only time in the week we can get to ride is evening time and he gets so sweaty. Thank goodness Steve is away so I can stay at the yard long enough for him to semi dry with a sweat rug on before putting his jammys on. He was supposed to get done Saturday but my friends clippers were in her car, her car was in Cologne with her husband :rolleyes: Fingers crossed for this Saturday.

I'm cancelling Christmas :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:

went to get Blue out of the field yesterday and he was really really lame on his right fore. Tried to walk him back to the stable, but he was really struggling. Kath has Will and Apple, so she put them back in their stable and then came back to have a look at him. There was no obvious swelling or open wounds, so we tried to ring the YO to come and help, but there was no answer. Kath then got the girl who lives at the yard to come and help, and then we walked him back to his stable. He is reluctant to pick his foot up, and whenever he wants to move anywhere, he just drags his leg or pivots on it. His shoulder is swollen, so we think he has either been kicked by Will (as Will's rug was torn), or lost a leg in the field. He's on bute at the moment (although the little git won't eat it), and is on box rest till the vet can get to see him tomorrow. We think the vet will either give us loads more bute and tell us to box rest him, or send him to Leahurst :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: :mecry: