UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Tuna is certainly a Baroque horse and a half - she has superb breeding, and daddy is a Calificado stallion (about as good as it gets). She is pure Carthusian breeding.

Dolly slipped her foal, so there is no hairy footed Spanish coblet baby which is very sad, she will be back at stud in the spring to try again.

Tuna looks really impressive, Mist. :)

Sorry to learn about Dolly losing her foal. :( It is so disappointing and my thoughts go out to you.

I got the pregnancy test result for Bronnie back from the vet today, and am delighted to say it is negative! Phew! I am so relieved! However, the vet is still puzzled over Bronnie's strange shape and said to keep an eye on her, although she's not showing any signs of illness, is bright-eyed, eating like a typical 'horse', plus all the other test results are normal. She just has the look of a barrel on legs, so I guess it's a case of time and maturity allowing the rest of her to develop and play catch-up! Yearlings always seem to go through phases in their growth patterns that can make them appear rather 'odd', I guess!

She seems to have Merlyn wrapped around her little toes now and he even let her get her nose into HIS manger today! He'd just about finished, but even so...

Having barely lost all of last winter's coat, Bronnie seems to be rapidly replacing it with a new winter coat. We had a slight frost around here last night, I think, judging by the damage to the dahlias down the allotment, and Bronnie's coat had a decidedly fluffed out appearance this morning. It won't be long before she resembles a rotund, hairy little teddy bear at this rate. I wonder what will emerge from under the hair come next spring? No swan, for sure! :laugh:

Edited by AlTRPD

Lovely horse Mist! :wub:

AlTRPD - Glad Bronnie isn't in foal - will wait for the swan to appear next spring!

Anyone rugging at night yet? Wanda is wearing a nice set of mint green pyjamas as she is achieving her hairy mammoth look a tad early because it's bloody freezing round here. I rode her in the arena for 30 mins in walk again and her lack of enthusiasm was somewhat marked. :biggrin: Her next blood test is Monday (24th)so I should know how things are are by Thursdsday! She's hacking with YO Sam tomorrow so that should cheer her up a bit.

Bobbysmum - what's the matter? :unsure:

Oh no that is a shame Anne, I guess the horse will be happy to go straight home though :flowers:

Phew glad Bronnie isn't in foal :) I bet she will suprise you and turn into a beautiful swan next spring :biggrin:

Yes I am rugging day and night now :rolleyes: Loki is out at night and is in a MW already and was still cold after Monday night, I am looking forward to when we change to days out, the temperature really does seem to have dropped early this year :unsure:

Good luck with Wanda's bloods, hope to return from holiday to good news :flowers:

Good Luck with Wanda :GroupHug:

Nope we've not rugged anyone yet, although did discuss last night about Indy cos she's alot finer than all the other routund cobby ones! This winter her and Minty will be coming in at night because we think Minty needs to now because of her age and condition and Indy doesn't manage as well out as the boys. Kane won't be rugged at all unless it is as wet a winter as last year. He's already sporting a rather fetching beard and a lovely coat of fluff!! The 2 little section A's should be fine this year unrugged, but I may have a fight with Lynn because no doubt she'll want to!!! :laugh:

Oh and good news!!! Our field shelter is back up!! Only 6 months after it blew over in that awful storm, it's bigger and better than before, it's got an extention on now for the new additions. I bet Kane can't wait to get back into it and growl at all the others from it's warmth!!! :laugh:

Good news about Bronnie, hopefully it's just a case of needing alot of tlc and she'll be a beautiful girl by summer. (Roll on summer!!!) :wub:

blooming heck, Peacemaker has only gone and taken a huge chunk out of his hoof - they are all unshod but this summer has played havoc with hooves, anyone else had problems? so Pea managed to crack his and then take a chunk out of it. farrier coming today to do him and the mares, he is supposed to be being vetted for sale but his hoof might unbalance him for his trot up so we will need to wait and see what the farrier says - he is getting his stallion licensing done at the same time so needs a grade 5 vetting.

Glad Bronnie isnt in foal, must have been a weight off your mind Al.

Good luck with Wanda :GroupHug:

What a relief Bronnie pregnancy test was negative. Although hate to say it my friend had a false negative and 3 weeks later a foal arrived.

So sorry Dolly lost her foal. :GroupHug:

Have held off posting this as was waiting to hear from Dexters owner but have heard nothing. She told me last Thurs eve that she will be going into hosp for a big ankle op. 8-12 weeks in plaster. She is going back to family about an hours drive away as she cant manage in her cottage in plaster with the steep narrow stairs and no downstairs toilet. She had been agonising about what to do with Dexter, take him with her, put him on full livery close by or leave him where he is. She has no date yet. Her employer is not paying her any sick leave so from the day of op she will only have statutory sick pay.

She has decided to leave him where he is. I can do my three days (Fri Sat & Sun)and he can live out the rest of the time as he is a porker and has good rugs. I left a note when I finished on Sunday asking her to contact me to discuss further. I want to know who is going to be responsible for him if he becomes ill or injured and who is poo picking his field on those days and checking him. She would have got note on Monday am. So far have heard nothing. Is it safe/responsible to leave a horse for 4 days? There are other horses in the field and I guess their owners will be visiting. Dexter usually comes in during the day to get him off the grass. I guess he will need shoeing/worming etc while she is away but dont know if she has thought of this.

I decided not to buy Dexter when I originally saw him cos I felt I didnt know enough and couldnt manage the full time commitment. I still dont as I am often up the yard alone and so not learning from anyone. I muddle by on my own.

I am wondering about giving my required 2 months notice to quit sharing but know she will probably be relying on the money to keep him.

Last weekend I didnt ride on the Friday. I poo picked nearly 3 barrows from the field and hardly made a dent in it!!! Then found a note from yard manager saying she wanted the indoor school sides raked in. So did one long side as my share, having done the other long side the previous week. Wasnt feeling great and didnt leave enough time to do things comfortably as had to be at work. Had a lesson on Sat and rode in the school for 15 mins on Sun as couldnt find anyone to hack with.

Oh Bobbysmum sharing can be so tricky if you are not sharing with someone who shares the same views / beliefs :GroupHug:

I personally wouldn't go away for one day let alone 8-12 weeks without having a regimental plan in place for Loki. I am going on holiday next week, I have someone looking after him, I also have two other people checking him, and I will still phone a few times to check he is ok :rolleyes: now that may be a bit over the top :laugh: but if your lady has gone away with no cover other than your few days I would be fuming with her!

Could it be she has made arrangements for him that you are not aware off?

I don't know what to say about giving your notice, if the negatives outweight the positives I would give your notice, regardless of her postion :flowers:

Sorry - very quick as I am at work - have already typed a response once , but lost it!! Doh!

In and ideal world all horses should be checked at least twice a day, regardless of livery arrangements - I guess once a day would would be an absolute minimum.

This is going to sound blunt, but I can't shake the feeling that you are being taken advantage of slightly - you seem to be doing more than your fair share of the donkey work in this arrangement. And there is no excuse for the poor communication.

I also get the impression that you are not very happy. It is meant to be fun! If it has ceased to be so, and shows no signs of becoming fun in the future, then why continue?

You have no obligation to his owner other than those in the agreement, and, if you do decide to give notice, nobody could blame you - you have been extremely accomodating. If youi do decide to go down this route, I am sure that you will be able to find a similar agreement with someone else.

I really feel for you - you have found yourself in a bit of a tricky situation just by be being nice.

Hope you sort something

What a shame! I agree with Clare I see to Kane every single day (I get withdrawl if I don't see him :laugh: !!) and Lynn is there all the time and she goes to see to the horses at least 3 times a day! It's the main reason I'm reluctant to move Kane because I know Lynn is as obsessive about checking them as I am!! If for some reason I can't then I have someone I trust competely to see to him. I'm sure she must of made arrangements, but it's very off to not have included you in what those arrangements are!!

It will be a shame to loose Dexter but you do seem to be doing the lions share of work and worry for him without much consideration from his owner.

I think I have found the only reliable and very skilled farrier around - she shows up when she says she will - rings me 20 min before she will be arriving so I can drag the boys in, is very patient with Will and has made a huge improvement in Apple's feet - This is one I will not be losing!!!