UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

Ok, if everyone’s opinion is as valid as everyone else’s I’ll add my ten penneth. If this March is to be credible then the support of Greyhound Action is paramount. I admire their single mindedness and believe that most of us want that ban. It makes no sense to me to be putting in all this effort if it is just for a compromised deal. I also think a GA representative should be involved with all the planning. As an organisation they have been carrying out demonstrations for years and have the relevant knowledge to make it work. The analogy of the sky v the tree tops has been mentioned here a few times and this is a golden opportunity to press home that commercial racing has to stop. I find it hard to believe that anyone would object to that. Whether the government does or does not do anything at the end of the day, the people who march will be committed to that common aim.

Sorry but I dont feel that it is paramount that GA are with us, sure it would be great if they were, but if they aren't it doesn't make the march any less valid or credible, why should it?. If anyone asks me on the day what I would like to see as a result I will tell them I want an end to racing as no doubt will the majority of others. If GA were organising this I would still be going - to me the important thing is not who organises it but that it takes place :)

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need to be there as individuals then no one compromises an organisations ideals. I will be there becasue I believe what is happening is wrong.

Meridiana was shut becasue of non payment of tax, I know people who campaigned there, it wasn't shut because of them unfortunelely. Racing needs to be attacked on as many fronts as possible not by just the welfare angle. Any undermining of the NRGC cannot be bad. Nothing happens over night.

I would hope that people were there becasue they want this to stop, as individuals. If we allow factions to stop as many people as possible attending this it will fail in impact as racers will pick up on the arguments etc.

I agree that is is a sadness that Greyhound Action will not be officially represented at the march/protest. However, the main thing is that we all unite against the abuses of the Greyhound Racing industry and express our disgust.

Perhaps we do want different things as a final outcome. But we all want an end to the suffering. Personally, I am committed to the objective of ending Greyhound racing in this country and to that end I support Greyhound Action absolutely. But that will not stop me joining a high-profile demonstration that will have maximum impact on the General Public. Stop the Slaughter is a start. Stop the Racing may have to come next.

Logically, of course, if you stop the slaughter and you don't stop the racing there's going to be a right awful mess. Still the dogs will be bred and what's going to happen to them if they can't be "humanely" disposed of? I suspect that the alternative is possibly "inhumanely" disposed of - dumped with ears hacked off.

I hope we can put aside political subtleties and grasp this opportunity while the public's attention is engaged.

Please don't let's squabble about minor differences. Let's be there for the dogs! The political wrangling can come later. Let's just go for maximum impact with huge numbers. :flowers:

Edited by Going to the dogs

I would hope that people were there becasue they want this to stop, as individuals. If we allow factions to stop as many people as possible attending this it will fail in impact as racers will pick up on the arguments etc.

Please don't let's squabble about minor differences. Let's be there for the dogs! The political wrangling can come later. Let's just go for maximum impact with huge numbers. :flowers:

I agree! :beerchug:

Perhaps the committee could clarify when asked by the media etc how the slaughter should be ended, what their response will be?

A valid question and one posed by GA in correspondence earlier. However I don't think it is fair to expect us to come up with all the answers immediately. As previously stated, to do this properly requires careful planning, and things like media statements need to be discussed and carefully worded.

im glad the issue of taking dogs to London has been raised - initially I thought I would take my two then realsied how freaked my boy would get - then obviously there is the weather Question, no-one even knows a date yet & if it was hot we would harldly be giving off a good image marching greys & other dogs around in full heat - we would get loads of stick & take away the point we were martching for.

Also the POO!!!!!!! :ohmy: although I have a few suggestions of where we could dump it all at the end of the march :angry:

I think it is very encouraging that everyone here can have different views but still work for the common good. My comments were not a criticism of the steep learning curve you are all negotiating, just a disappointment. However, you know I’ll help with anything I can. To see you all marching together will indeed be a very poignant moment to reflect on the slaughter of all the greyhounds and the message will have a great impact on the public, of that I have no doubt :) .

I wasnt sure where to post this, I have just received a written reply from my MP in the post this morning.

copy here..

roger%20gale.gif

if its too tiny to read it says..

I acknowledge receipt of your communication in relation to the plight of racing greyhounds.

Sadly this is not a new situation although quite clearly the situation as described in the press is horrific.

In fact as long ago as 1990 the Home Affairs Select Committee, of which I was at that time a member, produced a report on the financing of greyhound racing and indicated measures that needed to be taken to protect the welfare of the animals used in the sport.

Since that time regrettably little action has been taken by any administration and its is my personal view that far too little money generated by the practice of racing greyhounds is ploughed back into the welfare of the animals. It is also a fact that far too many animals are bred, many are not suited to the purpose for which they are bred and, therefore, significant numbers are destroyed. At the other end of the career there is a limit to the number of retired racing greyhounds that can be accommodated by the excellent charities that have been set up for that purpose. The net result is that significant numbers of retired greyhounds are indeed slaughtered.

This is an issue that clearly has to be addressed. It was raised during the passage of the Animal Welfare Bill by the opposition and although at that time the Government gave it scant priority I am pleased to note that since the publication of the article in the press the Minister, Ben Bradshaw, has indicated a willingness to re-visit the whole subject. Let us hope that real progress can now be made.

With my best wishes.

Yours sincerely

ROGER GALE MP

I have heard that Roger Gale does a lot for animal welfare.

SWT has had a response from Margaret Beckett's PA saying that she will look into it and a letter from Ashok Kumar saying he shares our concerns!

If you haven't yet written to your local mp, please do so :flowers:

Totally agree Cindy and once again when concrete plans are in place I think we need a list of all MP's who have responded positively. We have had a postivie response via Gap from one of the Welsh Assembly members who deals with Wales West and this both has a track and a port taking ferries to and from Ireland so again a useful avenue. Other parties have shown interest. Disappointed so far at the lack of response from my own MP who I know has always called for welfare reforms within the industry.