UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Getting Rid Of Ants

gooster

Does anyone know an effective way of getting rid of ants in the house? Every summer we seem to get an invasion of the bloody things. Whenever me and mum see any, we squash em, but dad refuses to kill them as 'it's not their fault they've had to come inside because the weather is naff' :rolleyes: Sooo, I figured whilst they are away, and I am off for a week, I'd do my best to eliminate the problem!

Because it's in the house, I don't want to use anything that will be harmful to the dogs, so if anyone had any suggestions, it'd be much appreciated! :flowers:

You need to find where they are coming in to the house and block it. Also, if possible, find the nest. You can do this by following the trail of ants back to the nest.

Pouring boiling water onto the nest can work for awhile but you really need to use ant powder on the nest afterwards. Nippon ( from a garden centre) is very good. If you can't get to the nest itself put some in the tracks that the ants use( you can see them following the same trails). It gets on the ant as they crawl over it and they take it back to the nest.

Obviously if the nest is in a place that the dogs have access to it would not be possible. Mine was at the front door and the front garden so there was no danger to the dogs. They only went out and in the front door with us, and were never in the front garden.

You can buy Nippon gel which you put where they tracks are. Since it tastes a

sweet the ant take it back to the nest as food and it kills them. It takes longer to kill all the ants though.

Ant bait traps are a similar idea but the poison is inside the trap, so safer where other animals are.

I have had ants for the last 16 years :wacko: . NOTHING gets rid of them that i have found but mine are under/in the house and come up from back door step, fire place and the front door step- it's a stright line through the house from front to back :(

They are a pain and will pop up at the various points- this year it's the fire place and front door :(

Ant Lacquer is the best thing ever invented for solving ant problems - it also has the added bonus that spiders won't cross it either - it dries to a hard finish that you can even wash and it'll still work, I put it down in the kitchen where the ants tend to come in and along the skirting boards and I don't find I have any further problems for the rest of the year, I've also got some ant foam stuff for squirting into crevasses outside which fills the gaps up with ant poison and that takes care of any entry points which are higher than the ground level.

Johnson's Raid - ant and cockroach killer

Brilliant stuff for ants and woodlice

Edited to add - it's a spray can by the way

I use that too, it is brilliant stuff. :wink: :flowers: Jeyes fluid is another one. But you have to make sure it is dried outside before you let the dogs/cats near it.

Kazz xx

Cool, thanks guys. Went and got some ant powder and spray this morning, and have sprayed inside where they are - now have lots of dead ants to hoover up! Put the powder on the front doorstep and again there are a few dead ones to sweep away! Will have to see whether that keeps them at bay :rolleyes: