UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Firefox Vs Ie

Fee

I'm getting increasing hacked off with Internet Explorer, and am tempted to try Firefox instead but I'm a bit nervous I might end up screwing my PC completely.

Any experience or advice on this? Am I likely to encounter any problems with downloading/setting up?

Can I run both programmes side by side, or will I have to commit to Firefox and uninstall IE?

Are there any other freebie web browsers I should be considering? Someone mentioned Opera as being good?

Firefox! Firefox! Firefox!

Leave your IE-troubled past behind you and come into the light...

Opera is excellent, but it's a bit more quirky than Firefox, and you are likely to find the odd thing like, say, online banking that doesn't work properly with it and because it has a small userbase, people tend to be sloppy about checking their sites work properly with it, whereas Firefox has enough users that no sane designer can ignore it:

trust.gif

It is easy to install and I've never seen any problems with it*. We have a few organisations for which, despite our best efforts to escape, we've ended up supplying PCs or doing network support, and we make them all use Firefox because we can't be bothered supporting cruddy IE: far too much hassle. Also our parents all use Firefox and we have hidden the IE buttons, because if there is one annoying thing, it is a parent that has ballsed up their machine by unwarily clicking on things They Should Not Click, and expects their offspring to drop everything and come and sort it out for them.

Yes, you can run them side by side: I have Opera, IE & Firefox on this machine, but I rarely use the IE install: only for testing.

* someone is now bound to pop up with the story of how they screwed up 100,000 computers installing firefox, but all I can go on is my own experience.

Edited by cycas

Another vote for firefox here. Much better! I run the two side by side as there are randomly a couple of forums which don't keep me signed in on firefox (there were a couple of different ones who didn't with IE so it's swings and roundabouts) and I can use whichever I choose without any explosions or disasters :biggrin:

Another Firefox user here too :biggrin: I got fed up of viruses targeting IE. I'm not much of a techie but I haven't had any problems with it. I kept IE as well for doing some online surveys that insist you use it :rolleyes: they pay £4 a survey so it's worth keeping for that!

I have a nice toolbar with all my favs. on it and a pretty KittyKat skin. I have to use IE at work and keep getting cross when it doesn't have the features that I like.

Pam

OK, I've done the deed, and so far I've very pleased with it. It seems very fast, and I love being able to open multiple pages in tabs and set up a multi-tabbed homepage. All this and better security too!

Thanks for the advice, everyone :biggrin:

i use both firefox and IE

of the two i would say i use IE more.

firefox seems to eat rescources more than IE but is more secure at the moment.

will be interested to see how the final release of IE7 pans out