UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dell Pcs

kimthecat

My Pc is nearly 7 years old and I'm thinking of buying a new cheap and cheerful one on line . I'm still a PC numpty and only use mine for doing forums , e.mails , a few photos and storing info about dogs and cats.

I like the look of a Dell PC , nice and cheap at just under £400 . The MOS is Geunine Windows XP Home Edition SP2

It has Microsoft Works 7 .

I'm using an external Broadband modem so is it worth having a PC that includes a modem? It's cheaper without one.

Are Dell PCs any good? TIA

Alison

Ummm ask Rykat (or Pingu), she had trouble with hers and was ready to strangle someone after dealing with their "after sales service." I was very glad there was another desk between us when she finished phoning/emailing them each time :unsure:

Pam

Ummm ask Rykat (or Pingu), she had trouble with hers and was ready to strangle someone after dealing with their "after sales service." I was very glad there was another desk between us when she finished phoning/emailing them each time :unsure:

Pam

Snort

I know a few people have had trouble - but on balance they seem ok. Packages see good but extended warranties are expensive.

Acers are probably slightly cheaper.... we've bought 4 - had terrible probs with on (this one) and the other 3 are fine.

Dell's a know brand - at least you are not going with fly-by-nights

Besides which - with Rykat ist probably user error *ducks* :laugh:

Thanks for your replies and apologies for posting twice in the wrong section. I'm a daft mare sometimes :rolleyes:

Someone else has also said the aftercare service isn't very good .

I've only had one PC that was from PC world and I just took it home and never had any probs so i'm hoping it will be the same with a new one.

Still not sure whether have an internal modem :unsure: maybe its worth paying a bit extra just in case I might need it.

I just saw the ad in the paper and checked it out and liked it. It seems to easy so I thought I'd see if there was a catch

Alison

Edited by kimthecat

Thanks for your replies and apologies for posting twice in the wrong section. I'm a daft mare sometimes :rolleyes:

Someone else has also said the aftercare service isn't very good .

I've only had one PC that was from PC world and I just took it home and never had any probs so i'm hoping it will be the same with a new one.

Still not sure whether have an internal modem :unsure: maybe its worth paying a bit extra just in case I might need it.

I just saw the ad in the paper and checked it out and liked it. It seems to easy so I thought I'd see if there was a catch

Alison

very few puters come without an internal modem these days..... they cost about £12.....

I'll be surprised if you can actually get a Dell for the prices they advertise, theres often a few bits n bobs most people need to have that will have to be added on as extras. Pay particular attention to their warantee and extended services thats where they add in extra money.

I wouldn't have one myself, and opted for an off the shelf from PC world - this is the first time I ever bought a prebuilt off the shelf pc, and I was wary but since I can fix a lot of stuff myself I took a chance, I would never take it in to them for any repairs anyway - have to say *touch wood* it's been absolutely fine, and I'd happily buy another when the time comes.

Having recently done research and bought a PC for Sam's mum I have to agree with Snow that you will have great difficulty getting a Dell for the price advertised.

It says 'From £###.##' in the advert.

Sure, if you reduce your warranty to 90 days retrun to base, down grade the monitor to something really pants, have a crap software package and absoutely no extras then you can get the price.

Much as it galls me to say it look at PC World. THeir web prices are very good for some of the computers - but it gets better. You can reserve a computer at the store via the web, and then when you go into the store you pay the web price.

Compaq and HP are definitly the most reliable brands from PC world althoughPackard Bell are improving a lot and cover the lower price band nicely.

Good luck whatevr you decide

I made up my mind before I read the rest of the replies but I did check out PC world on line. I went for the Dell in the end. You right Richard , the "extras" mount up :dry: but even so I still feel its a good buy and suits what I need as long as nothing goes wrong.

Alison

It's here! :circle:

I'm just unpacking it and setting it up.

I'll have to get down to PC world and get something to tranfer the settings and stuff from the old PC.

I get the feeling I will be asking for help soon but I'll start another thread.

Aliosn