UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Ty,s Diary.

bebe

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey there :)

I've not been sure whether to post or not, in case I confuse things really! But when Finn was at the same stage as Ty and I was stressing about it over the phone to raceylacey, she gave me some really helpful suggestions.

I'd felt that I had to keep pushing him to avoid the habits forming and it becoming easier for him to refuse walks etc. But he did have good days where he would be more relaxed about going outside. She suggested that I quit worrying about him getting enough exercise, and focusing on getting out for walks and just work with what we could. So all I did in the morning was get us ready for a walk, go to the door and assess Finn's reactions. If he seemed very stressed then I gave him a tasty treat at the door and we went back inside. If he was okay ish then we did a short walk round the block or maybe a wander round the car (he was car phobic too) with loads of food and praise. If he was having a good day we went on a longer walk but I was always careful of not pushing our luck.

What we found was that slowly the okayish days came more often, and then the good days until now we only have less good days and he's positively thrilled to be going out for a walk.

I know its terrible anthropomorphic or whatever that word is, but it felt like when he trusted me not to push his boundaries he could relax, and then I pushed a little - he was okay so we could do a little more. But in a sense he was in charge because if he started to stress I had to pick up on that asap and try to relax him.

not sure if that ramble was clear?

best of luck anyway!

Mog

Finn & Farah

• 2 weeks later...

:flowers: Im really glad you posted, I always read Finns training log.

I know what you mean about not knowing whether to push them a bit so they dont get into a habit, I tried that for a while but it just didnt work with Ty, so now I pretty much do what you posted, I gage Tys mood, I can usually tell as soon as we get in the car if shes going to get out the other end, and if she doesnt want to go, I dont force her, I just bring her home.

Ive got a horrible feeling that its all going to go right back to the beginning now, after she was hit by the Kite today, Im upset because she was doing so well, and Im worried about her because her nerves seem so bad outside :( , I dont understand how a dog can be so happy and confident in the home, but a quivering wreck outside, I think Im definately going to have to get a behaviourist in.

Thanks for posting, I always welcome tips and advice, especially from owners like us who have dogs with some issues :rolleyes:

:( I knew it, Ty wouldnt get out of the car today, even though Mum was with me. We ended up all sat on the boot feeding Ty sausages.

Going to keep her in tomorrow, maybe the next day too, then start again from the beginning with the clicker. I think its going to be an even longer haul this time, she was really shook up by the kite thing, so Im going to simply concentrate on her just taking a few steps away from the car, then a few more, for however long it takes untill shes comfortable enough to actually go into the field.

Patience really will be the key, Im not a naturally patient person but I know Ive got to be with this, its just a bummer that its all gone pear-shaped again because of a kite! :angry:

And we have the same problem with Neo. Really Brigette. The dogs do get used to not going out. Its usually us humans that have the problem with it. Once you get used to the fact that you're allowed to NOT take her out you will be a lot more relaxed and then so will Ty. :GroupHug: :GroupHug: Then in a while can try again but with no pressure because it doesnt matter if she does or doesnt want to go. :) The people with dogs that cant go out dont post photos of dogs 'not going out' and having a fun time so thats why it seems that everyone elses dogs are. (if that makes sense). You can still have fun with Ty at home. :flowers:

:GroupHug: Thanks Nat, Andrea.

Im really down about it. Not even that she doesnt want to go out though, if it were just that, Id be ok, but its because she wants to go out, but is too afraid to. She runs to the door to go out, gets all excited, then the minute I open the door, its like she remembers shes scared :(

I just feel so horrible for her, she LOVED going out, really loved it, for the first year or so, then it all started changing, and its worse than its ever been now. Its escalating really fast. I just want her to be happy, and enjoy herself like she used to :mecry:

How can she be happy? Her world is full of scary things in her eyes. How did this get so bad? What am I doing wrong? Shes always been sensitive, but now shes a nervous wreck. Its like the kite was the last straw and she just cant cope now.

Whatever it was in that field that day that scared her when she ran and got under the car, has escalated to this.. she has so many problems now, I feel overwhelmed.

Do it one step at a time?

Feed her on the doorstep... play tuggy with her in the front garden, cuddles when she jumps in the car, that kind of thing? Literally take it right back to basics? Put her in the car, drive round the block then come straight home, or park somewhere she can choose to jump out if she's in the mood - where's that place G took me and Purdie training, somewhere like that where you can drive right in and park on the grass, you could take a picnic, get her excited about food and toys and people to make a fuss, and she could jump back in the car of she's scared? Leave the car door open, and then it's her own choice?

Took Ty for ride in the car, stopped by the woods in the carpark and just opened the boot door and sat with her for a while, clicked and gave her a sausage bit everytime she strained her head out of the car to have a look out. Then I put her longline on and went and sat on the floor on the grass, leaving Ty looking out of the boot. After a little while she jumped out, I clicked and threw a sausage. She took a few steps towards me, I clicked and threw another. Then she trotted over to me and sat down next to me, I clicked and gave her loads of sausages :biggrin:

Gradually she sniffed and moved away from me a bit, I kept clicking and treating everytime, then she picked up a stick and brought it to me, so I threw it a very short way and she ran and got it back, we did that for a few minutes, then suddenly she trotted back to the car and jumped back in the boot. I went and made a fuss of her, then we came home.

Baby steps, but Im really chuffed :flowers: