UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gym And Fitness Escapades...

murtle

Sam the C25K app is 'from Couch to 5 kilometres' to hopefully get you from not being able to run at all to being able to run a 5km

I am training to run 5km so we can be virtual running buddies :) I will have to look for the app now

...and starts off with you putting those trainers on Loobie...

it does it does :cheer:

I ran 3km tonight in 23 minutes , I did reduce my speed ( hence the extended time ) but I felt I could have gone on

I decided not to push it and finished the last .2 at my normal speed and then walked for a another 3 minutes to cool down ( I warm up on a cross trainer first )

Loobie if I can run 3km anyone can I promise

I run on a treadmill Loobie in a gym full of people and very quickly I learnt no bugger was looking at me as they were all doing their own thing

my first run was actually a walk and I was begging to be let off the treadmill after 8 minutes ( and this was just walking holding weights ) when I first ran I was nearly crying after 2 minutes because I had a stitch , now I am running for over 20 minutes happily

my tip is so start slow and small , you are not going to run 5km on day one at an olympic speed but if I can do it you can I promise , Murtle is the real running expert here and she will have lots of great advice I am sure

Sam x

OOH GOD YES AND GET A GOOD SPORTS BRA

Loobie, get yourself an MP3 player with your favourite tunes on it - I tend to find that exercise is more enjoyable and easier if I have good music on :)

The other day I was on the bike listening to my iPod, when Stargirl by McFly came on (yes I have terrible taste in music :laugh: ), I found cycling so much easier to that song, and I increased my speed by 2mph :biggrin: Try not to care what people think - I am assuming it starts off with intervals, so walking for a minute, jogging for 30 seconds, which if it does, you can use the walk breaks to catch your breath.

Give it a go - I remember when I walked into the gym for the first time, it was full of super skinny gym bunnies who had full faces of make up and didn't break a sweat. I really didn't see myself getting into fitness to the extent that I have, it took time and hard work to get into it, but I do really enjoy it - I miss the gym on my day off from working out, and am beating down the door to the gym the next day :laugh:

I don't have a need for a sports bra as my boobs are tiny :laugh: :rolleyes:

There's nothing wrong with pounding the streets, if I ever try running again, I would rather run in the street than on a treadmill - nicer scenery and no risk of falling off :laugh:

The reason I joined the gym was because I am a tight arse, so knew that if I was paying £30 a month, I would keep going as I wouldn't want to waste the money :laugh: Otherwise I would be doing free exercise, but am too lazy to do that :)

Loobie there are lots of things to be fearful of when starting. I know, I have feared them!! Obviously if I went too far I would instantly combust. I seriously thought I could run too far away from home to get back!! I feared i would need the toilet when I was too far from home. I would dehydrate and collapse. I would freeze or melt in the rain. The list goes on!! It never occurred to me, if I got tired I could stop, catch my breathe and walk home!!

It was only when I actively chose to extend my runs to 4 miles that I realised I had mentally restricted myself to 3 mile run routes for fear of not being able to get home.

When I first started I couldn't run down the road without getting stitch and out of breath. I won't lie, it is hard to start, but track what you do and you will see improvements. Keep an exercise diary and note down what you do how you feels etc. Just being out in the fresh air will do you the world of good. It is great for r me to clear my head and just focus on what I am doing.

You might notice I am very enthusiastic about this! I started where you are, I just foolishly signed up for a half marathon for charity and knew I had to complete it. I had to subsequently learn how to run, and continue to do so. The c25k is a really good program and a brilliant way to start.

So pop the trainers on...and come back and tell us know it went!!!

xxx

Thank you, the hardest part is getting the trainers on...once they are on you will only get better and better!

Sam said she wasn't a runner not so long ago, but the improvements she has made has made her a runner!

I think all of us on here have started from a dislike of exercise and have learnt to embrace it and see the benefits!!

Tonight I will be doing hill intervals with the local running club. I hope it isn't too cold and that any rain holds off!!

Well today I can say that I have eventually lost the extra pound I put on at Xmas. :cheer:

I have also lost another half pound as well which means that I am now a whole 3 stone lighter than I was two years ago.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still want to lose another pound so that I can say I am 9 stone exactly.

And very well done to you all and go for it Loobie :headphone:

• Like 2