UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Veggie Plot 2012

houndzrus

No I didn't get any plants yet. My little tomato plant is sprouting some leaves so I have a little bit of hope :) But I will want more plants.

Thanks Griff. I don't see anything on the Irish website for the plants but usually the Irish and UK stuff is the same I think.

I bought some fly paper to hang in the greenhouse. It comes in a roll that you unfurl. The only way I can hang it is along the "wall" but it makes a terrible sticky mess (as I think you can see from my pot storage photo). Any ideas how I can use these without them sticking to the wall? I hate things buzzing around me

hmmmm what about some of those little sticky sucky cup things... the ones that you lick. you could stick them to the glass on the greenhouse and then attach the flypaper using a bit of string. other than that i don't know if the greenhouse has like a metal join running down the middle but could you thread some string over the top of that and then tie the roll of flyppaper to it (tie the string round the flypaper holder bit)

• Like 1

Unfortunately my greenhouse is not a glasshouse (I wish it was). It's a cheapy plastic one so sticky sucky cup things won't work.

Even if I tie it to a metal pole, it would still make a sticky mess which is what I'm trying to avoid.

I was thinking of trying to put it inside a cardboard roll, say from tinfoil, cutting chunks out of the roll at the front and hanging that. I just need to use more tinfoil lol

Keep the ideas coming :)

Could you possibly rig up a bit of dowling or bamboo stick in a plant pot and somehow attach the fly paper to that? You could than move it around - like have it stand on a bench or the floor (although I don't know what good it would be on the floor :rolleyes_anim:)

• Like 1

Well after thinking about metal joins and bamboo sticks, I came up with the solution.

I fixed the fly paper to a length of timber and tied the timber to a metal pole. So the only thing getting sticky is the timber.........and the flies :biggrin:

I still might look into the solar powered zapper :thumbsup_still:

Thanks for the assistance

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this took hours, but I am quite pleased with the final result. Never grown tomatoes or cucumbers this way before, so time will tell. Back row Cucumbers, outside rows tomatoes and inside rows are five peppers and a chilli. The plants in the middle are waiting to be potted on elsewhere.

Couldn't get it all in, so here's left and right sides.

8624db8e.jpg

a3b0379b.jpg

• Like 2

Looks great Marge.

My one tomato plant is still only about 1 centimetre above soil but starting to sprout leaves. My courgettes and cucumbers all died. The courgettes just seemed to go mouldy and rot. Nothing else grew except a couple of spring onions which I'm praying over every day.

Lidl and Aldi over here didn't get any veggie plants in yet. Might take a trip to Homebase next week.

I've a lot of catching up to do lol