UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Veggie Plot 2012

houndzrus

ooooooo Marge, i don't know if you need any or already know but aldi have 35 litre bags of bark chips on offer for£1.99 a bag... got a email the other days saying about may day offers

Thanks for that Griff, might top up my allotment chill out area. :flowers:

I got some growbags from Lidl this morning, they're £1.29 each.

Edited by houndzrus

That doesn't instill much confidence in me so. Mine were planted on 8/3/12 :(

Still time to plant some more, do you have a windowsill to put them on till they germinate? If you don't fancy starting again, there are tomato plants in the shops now. :)

I think I'll get some plants. My porch can be like a glasshouse if the sun is shining but there's no heating in it so if no sunshine, it's colder than my greenhouse but I might try it.

My strawberry plants are thriving. Of the seeds that I planted - courgettes and cucumbers are doing the best but they still should be further on.

OH connected my water butt and I must post photos of it and my wonderful pot storage idea (well I think it's wonderful lol) :)

OH connected my water butt and I must post photos of it and my wonderful pot storage idea (well I think it's wonderful lol) :)

I'll look forward to seeing the photos. I like different things so am intrigued to see your pot storage idea :)

Looking forward to pics :) Good luck with the plants, no one's ar growing very fast this year, unless they have a heated greenhouse.

Well. we spent another six hours on the lotty. Keith has mada a contraption to channel water from the roof of the shed, so hopefully collect more rainwater. I have planted out the beetroot, some cabbages and cauliflower, peas and some more broad beans and sowed some peas.

We have made cages for them and covered with netting. We also dodged the showers and had lunch in the shed till the worst one passed. I just hope the meeces don't eat everything :unsure:

Going back tomorrow to do a bit more if weather permits. :dwet:

Lots more hours put in today as the weather was perfect again. Lots of cages made to protect the brassicas from Butterfles and a weeny cover made for the parsnip bed. Planted out the red onions and weeded. Thing is, I haven't got much room left for my leeks, or some of the other cabbages I want. Also, the debris netting on the beans and peas is the wrong one, I need anti bird netting, so the bees can still pollinate them. I have found a stockist online, so that's ok. I thinned out the parsnip seedlings and brought some home. They are now planted as I could bear to throw them away. :)

I have planted my Christmas dinner sprouts, so hopefully, my festive din dins will containe a few things I have grown myself.

Keith made something for the roof of the shed which has made some folk laugh. I have put a pic below, he is hoping it wil increase the amount of water saved into out butt as the shed roof is not very big. We have all unanimously decided that it looks like a swiss nun, especially as our shed is blue. :ohmy:

I seem to have spent the whole day on my knees, so I am looking forward to a long soak in the bath.

Lots of veggies under cages. Nearest one has my Christmas brussells in. :D

DSC_0198.jpg

The mini one with environmesh over the parsnip seedling. (Rhubarb in front, garlic to the left and shallots behind)

DSC_0199.jpg

Broad beans . There were some in the garden centre up the road, £1.50 for 4! :ohmy:

DSC_0193.jpg

various cabbages and caulis

DSC_0195.jpg

The shed and it's noo water collecter!

DSC_0204.jpg

No more lotty till next week, time for a break. :guitar:

• Like 1

Flipping heck you've been busy!

Keith's contraption. :huh: nun2.gif EmoticonLaugh.gif

I knowmsuperior.gif

How's the Water Von Trapp working? :biggrin:

Well, I popped up to the lotty tonight as I was worried about all the rain we've had this week. the water butt is filling up nicely and the "Vontraption" is still attached to the roof! I do keep wanting to sing "Dominiqa Domoniqa" when I look at it though. :laughingsmiley:

I am pleased to say that the netting is still intact and the cages seem to have protected the seedlings from both the worst of the downpours and the wind. No mice damage (yet). Everything seems to have doubled in size and more of the potatoes are showing through too.

fingers crossed it continues.

Alex, how are your tomatoes doing? Did you plant the discs?

Mags, did you get some more plants? Lidl will be selling six tomato plants for £1.99 soon. Can't remember what date though.