UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Urgent! How Do I Give Cecil His Pill

Pendlewitch

I nearly lost Cecil! :mecry: Christmas day evening he started to vomit, real stomach heaving vomiting and standing hunched in the middle. He was dehydrating and wobbly so rushed him to the vets at 11pm. He has just been discharged today after spending the intervening days on a drip with antibiotics, pain killers and anti vomit drugs included. He was seriously horribly ill with pancreatitis and it was a miracle he survived. He's not out of the woods yet by a long way, he's gone old, frail and confused and now has to stay on a low fat diet. He is starting to eat but I have to give him a pill at 10pm and further various pills tomorrow, the usual Asda cocktail sausages are out and so is cheese. Do I just attempt to put it down his throat? At his best I would loose my arm doing that but he's far from his best, I don't want to stress him though so how on earth do I do it? Help!

I nearly lost Cecil! :mecry: Christmas day evening he started to vomit, real stomach heaving vomiting and standing hunched in the middle. He was dehydrating and wobbly so rushed him to the vets at 11pm. He has just been discharged today after spending the intervening days on a drip with antibiotics, pain killers and anti vomit drugs included. He was seriously horribly ill with pancreatitis and it was a miracle he survived. He's not out of the woods yet by a long way, he's gone old, frail and confused and now has to stay on a low fat diet. He is starting to eat but I have to give him a pill at 10pm and further various pills tomorrow, the usual Asda cocktail sausages are out and so is cheese. Do I just attempt to put it down his throat? At his best I would loose my arm doing that but he's far from his best, I don't want to stress him though so how on earth do I do it? Help!

Didn't want to just read and run. I'm guessing that you have no low fat goodies around then? Maybe some honey might do the trick if you have any? We were allowed to use that with our old Maisie who had pancreatitis. Otherwise I think you do need to try and put it down his throat. Lay him on his back, put in his throat and stroke his neck while giving him a big cuddle is the best I can offer, sorry. Having a tablet phobic dog (Tiffy) who can hold it in her throat for 20 minutes then spit it out when you think you've cracked it, I do sympathise.

Big :GroupHug: for you and wishing Cecil a speedy recovery

Edited by eve

In the end I split it into four and put it in his food and he ate without noticing! He has to have a different one tomorrow an hour before food so the jam could work and then the same as tonight at 10 am so I'll put that one in the food. I'm not trying to put it in his mouth again, I nearly lost my arm! WTG Cecil, on form with the reactions!