UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Slow Cooker Recipes

Jazz

I don't have a recipe that I follow. I just cut up onion, potato and chicken or beef. Then add chicken stock or beef stock and either red or white wine depending on the meat used. Top it up with water, leave it on low and when I get home from work it is all done. I then use atora dumpling mix to make dumplings and put them in for 20 mins whilst I get changed and sort myself out.

You can put all sorts of veg in, but I only really like onions and potatoes so that's all I put in.

You can also use some of the colemans packet mixes in the slow cooker, for casseroles etc, I haven't tried that though.

I have a average sized slow cooker, and freeze the leftovers in the plastic containers like you get takeaways in.

I do pretty much the same as Gooster. Put in whatever meat I fancy plus veggies (a tin of tomatoes helps make nice sauce) then add water to cover everything and leave on low setting all day. We sometimes have dumplings (it's fascinating to watch them grow if your cooker has a clear glass lid!) and it's also useful to have some thickening granules just in case it's very liquid at the end.

I've got a mildly spiced lamb and chickpea recipe if you fancy that?

Funny this thread has just been started - this week I eventually got around to replacing my old slow cooker - having broken the lid yonks ago, with one more of the less the same - a fiver from the charity shop!

So, yesterday I cooked casserole pork coated in seasoned flour with onion, fresh tomatoes, green pepper, mushrooms, a mixture of white wine and stock and some sage - and it was yummy. I have literally just put the rest in the freezer - and it's made six single portions plus the greedy helping I had yesterday. :biggrin: I did this as a one stage cooking - took much longer but everything went in "raw", and I added hot stock.

And I'm cooking beef stew tonight - shin beef with onions, leeks, swede, parsnip and carrot, with beef stock added - so all I'll need to make a meal is a jacket potato. I shortened the cooking time on this by cooking the floured meat in oil first, before adding to the pot, putting in the veg then adding hot stock. I'm hoping for leftovers tonight to increase the number of meals for one I have available when OH is working.

Must admit that last night my onion took a-g-e-s to cook - even though I sliced it as thinly as I would normally. Today I have sliced it much smaller.

What settings does yours have Alicia? What size is it?

Edited by Mrs B

Moroccan lamb (serves 4)

300g lamb

Carton or tin of chopped tomatoes

1/2 pint water (if your cooker is bigger you might need to add more to cover the meat)

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp cinnamon

I cook this on low from about 9am to lunchtime, then add

Carton or tin of chickpeas (drained)

About 8 dried apricots cut in half

Then we eat it at about 6 or 7pm, either with rice or with couscous which is really easy as you add boiling water and just leave it for 5 minutes and its ready!

The original recipe had double the amount of spices, so do a teaspoon of each if you like spicey food.

Moroccan lamb (serves 4)

300g lamb

Carton or tin of chopped tomatoes

1/2 pint water (if your cooker is bigger you might need to add more to cover the meat)

1/2 tsp turmeric

1/2 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp cinnamon

I cook this on low from about 9am to lunchtime, then add

Carton or tin of chickpeas (drained)

About 8 dried apricots cut in half

Then we eat it at about 6 or 7pm, either with rice or with couscous which is really easy as you add boiling water and just leave it for 5 minutes and its ready!

The original recipe had double the amount of spices, so do a teaspoon of each if you like spicey food.

I like the sound of this recipe :flowers:

its a tower compact slow cooker, 1.5

Mine's a Tower too - but a giant one. :biggrin:

I think one of the Tower recipe leaflets I have gives recipes for all their range - so if there's something in particular you want to try, I'll have a look and post the recipe here for your petite cooker to start you off.

My slow cooker haf gorn bang!! Norty cooker :angry: I'm going to keep the big stoneware pot, get DB to put an oven proof handle on the lid, and try using it in the oven. (Hoping my new (to me) electric Aga's warming oven will serve the purpose).

I find that sealing the meat first makes for tastier casseroles. 'Fridge surprise' soup is always good (mostly veggies).