UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Flooding In Sri Lanka

many of you have seen the news about the flooding along the east coast of Sri Lanka in the last few weeks

over 1 million people have been affected and many are living in refugee camps or in flood damaged buildings , these are low income rural areas that had already been affected by the Tunsami and the war

A team from WSPA and Humane Society International have done some field visits to assess the situation and are currently deploying teams , on Monday I am also heading into the affected areas and I am bringing in a large number of supplies as the teams on the grounds are running low

as well as dogs and cats we will be treating livestock , those animals that survived have been standing in water for many days and are suffering from foot root and other injuries . Today I have brought every single bag of cattle supplements and dewormer in a 20 km radius and tomorrow I am collecting more supplies from Kandy 35km away

I am travelling into Batticaloa with a team from Embark and Habitat for Humanity who are providing support the human suviours , this is very much a joint effort on behalf of the aid agencies and we all intend to help both people and animals affected by this dreadful natural disaster

The one requested item from the team in the field I have yet to source is Stockholm tar , I understand its used on horses hooves but I can't find a supplier or a generic ingredient , if anyone can give me more info that would fantastic

I will be taking my camera and will update here as and when I can ( or text Mark )

Any help or support anyone can give us and the other agencies will be very much appreciated by those people and animals who have literally had there lives turned upside down

Thank you

Sam

Stockholm Tar is a high grade of pine tar.

MedicAnimal do it, and are holding all their prices at the old VAT level through Jan. So if you get an order in by the end of Monday you can take advantage of that.

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~product_id=3072?gclid=CI2v26fE36YCFQkf4Qod0AvU0w

However, it is also used as a wood preservative for boats and outdoor furniture, so if you know of any firm in Sri Lanka doing maritime supplies it may be worth giving them a call just in case.

I emailed Trallwm Farm the link to this thread to see if she has any better ideas.

Owl has beaten me to it, but OH says one of his customers uses Stockholm tar to treat (as colour and preservative) the furniture that they make. Hope that you can find a source locally.

It's good to hear that you and the other organisations are there to help the people and animals in need. I've still seen no news coverage from Sri Lanka, but Australia is ongoing.

Thank you both for Stockholm tar info :)

I don't think the flooding here has been seen by international news media as comparable to Australia so although it's getting online coverage it's not getting the sane level of tv coverage

I don't know how bad it is in Australia but it's pretty bad here , 1 million affected , 400000 displaced and huge areas of rice paddy distroyed

One of the international childrens charities said recently there are food shortages already in camps and the price rises and rice shortages will affect millions more country wide who depend on it as a staple

I think there have been so many big floods in developing countries recently that it's no longer big news

Ive not been able to get onto this thread for some reason until now. It said I didnt have permission.

It might be worth contacting Robinsons.

http://www.robinsons-uk.com/

They generally donate stuff if asked and at the very least you may get a discount. Bactokill is worth getting a few bottles of too. Its 55 times more effective than carbolic and great for livestock foot rot.

Thanks for the update Sam. As you say I fear that the flooding in Sri Lanka is not receiving the publicity that Australia is.

It sounds as if you are putting your all into helping out where you can - as you always do. I hope it's not too tough for you.

I am leaving here tomorrow morning at 02.00hrs with one of Dogstars Sri Lanka staff Aravinda , we have managed to pull together boxes and boxes of veterinary supplies and consumables which are urgently needed in Batticaloa as well as donating from our own stocks at the Dogstar Clinic

its been raining here again today , we know the roads have been washed away in places but we understand there are some routes in if the rain does not continue too long. We hope to be in Batticaloa by 8 am tomorrow morning and will be working with the field teams for the day ( I am planning to sleep in the van ! ) we are staying over Tuesday night , will work in with the field teams again on Wednesday and travel home overnight arriving back at the Dogstar Clinic on Thursday

Both Aravinda and I are taking our cameras and hope to take some photos and videos of our work

we finally got back after a gruelling 11 hours in the van , not only did we encounter huge amounts of flooding we also narrowly missed being in the path of a landslide ( due to me needing the toilet and having to stop the van just up the road)

we saw heartbreaking sights, people who have survived the war , tsunami and previous floods are yet again facing hardship on a scale thats beyond words. We were too late for a number of animals and the corpses of livestock drowned in the flooding were fairly common

We are working on getting further aid back to the team in situ but the roads are now in such a bad condition they are pretty much cut off