UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Worried Sick

griff

got up today to be told by my mum that the dog wasn't right, apparently he got up o.k this morning had a wee and did 2 poo's and all was o.k, a while later he began shaking...like shivering and grinding his teeth and doing some odd yawning, i immediately opened his mouth and could see round one of his molars and another tooth that it was red and swollen, he didn't want his brekkie so i gave him his metacam and waited.. i wasn't happy so off to the emergency vet, the vet questioned why i thought tooth and i said well it assumed his mouth as he was grinding his teeth and yawning and didn't want to eat..... he said that he couldn't believe that a little bit of gingivits? (my dogs teetha re quite clean!) would affect a dog so badly so thought there is a pain elsewhere. he couldn't give him anymore pain relief so gave him an antibiotic in case he has got an oral infection and told me to give him tramadol as soon as i got home which i have done, he has ate a few little bits of chicken and drank quite a bit but i am worried to death. i don't think he has a bowel obstruction as he has raw carrots as a treat and he had those last evening and passed them this morning (poo full of carrot!) and he is weeing o.k. he will need to see my vet tomorrow and we will go from there. if you could spare any be o.k thoughts i would be really grateful... i have never seen a dog like this.

Edited by griff

ouch - poor laney, hope you get to the answer with your vets.

I get poorly teeth when I get sinusitus (or bad sinusus) which can result in ear ache. It always makes me think that some of my teeth are going to fall out as the gums can go quite red and can bleed more. It also results in me grinding my teeth more and odd yawning. I don't know if dogs get infections in sinuses?

xxx

Could he have something stuck in his gum? Timmy had a very small shard of something stuck in the back of his mouth once and because it was so painful, he wouldn't let me open his mouth to see. The vet had to keep him in and give him anaesthetic in the end to remove it but if he hadn't there was no way he would have known what it was.

I hope Laney is better soon :GroupHug:

thankyou everyone :flowers: it is possible he has a shard of something... i will mention it to the vet :flowers: i am sure it is mouth related and i don't understand why the vet dismissed it so quickly... i am not qualified as a vet but toothache is bloody painful and in a wuss dog like laney it would knock him sideways.

i do have some good news to report :biggrin: he ate a sunday dinner so the painkillers and antibiotics must be working. he had that food at about 14.45 and hasn't been sick so thats good and now i am hoping for a poo :laugh: i haven't been so frightened for ages... i really thought he was going to die :unsure: i guess if he needs a GA at least he will get his claws cut :laugh:

Dogs seem able to tolerate a huge amount of oral pain without showing any obvious signs and will still eat OK etc - we've had dogs come into rescue with terrible teeth and gums shrunk back to expose nerves etc and they haven't shown any obvious signs of discomfort (although they must have been in some pain).

Something stuck in his mouth is possible, or perhaps a bad abscess, but things like yawning and lip-licking are general signs of stress so could reflect pain somewhere else in his body.

Really glad he's feeling a bit better, anyway, and hope your vet is able to get to the bottom of it and sort him out

Sounds like something stuck in his teeth or gum to me. Fact that he is peeing and poohing without problem doesn't really reflect a stomach problem. Get your regular vet to check his teeth properly on Monday. The emergency vet was probably too scared of being bitten to check them properly

i have opened his mouth and looked at the areas that were sore earlier and they have now returned to normal :biggrin: he has ate everything in sight :rolleyes: i am just waiting for him to do his business before i stop properly panicing :laugh:

laney has trouble fighting infection and struggles with pain, he has always been like that, every cut he gets gets infected and he has a lot of health issues too, i will feel a bit happier when he has seen my own vet, anne you are right about the vet being nervous.... i had to hold the dogs mouth open (laney hates having his mouth messed with by the vet but he wasn't even behaving for me!) i had to have the teeth end to me when it was injection time...despite him asking me what laney was like and being told he would get no bother from him :rolleyes:

i stayed awake all night in case he needed me but Laney had a very peaceful night :biggrin: he has done wee's and poo's this morning and eaten brekkie as well as telling the parcel man off :laugh: i called the vets but the vet i deal with is off today and tomorrow and the earliest appointment is wednesday evening, after discussing things we have decided to wait to see the vet who knows laney and all his health problems so we can get things right first time round and also sort out a couple of other things too. the first sign of him getting sick again and he will be going to see one of the other vets at the practice. i do feel it was his teeth despite what the emergency vet said... all of the redness has gone from the teeth that were sore and he seems absolutely fine now, at least i will recognise if he has tooth trouble in future :rolleyes:

thankyou all for your good wishes :flowers: i hope i never see a dog acting like that again.... it was very scary :mecry: