UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Christmas Lunch Quandary

Karen

Some of you might know that my mum had a stroke a couple of months ago. She's making good progress and we are hoping that she might be allowed out of hospital for the day on Christmas day. If she's still in hospital we will go and see her obviously!

Anyway, I have a small dilema and I'm sure it's solvable but I can't see my way round it at the moment. So bright ideas welcome.

I feel that whatever happens I need to offer to provide some sort of festive lunch on christmas day. My dad is not up to cooking a meal. He is also unable to negotiate the stairs in our house so I will have to serve up lunch at my parents house. For a variety of reasons I don't really want to spend hours slaving in their kitchen, so what can I do to make life easier and still provide something nice to eat. There doesn't need to be heaps of food, just something decent!

If I could roast meat of some sort at home, can I later re-heat it? I don't want to give food-poisioning for Christmas. Are re-heated roast potatoes completely revolting? Shall I just resort to fish fingers and oven chips? :laugh:

Edited by Karen

Most of the supermarkets sell ready to roast potatoes, honey roast parsnips etc. If you cook a chicken (does it have to be turkey?) you can slice it, then reheat it in the microwave and serve with the hot potatoes and veg. Tesco do little mini xmas puds, if he likes those, with all sorts of flavoured creams and sauces to go with it. I'm sure he'll appreciate whatever you put in front of him. I do hope your mum can join you, even if it's just for the day.

Thank you. Turkey is a definite no - I couldn't face eating something that has such an awful life! If I cook beef or free-range chicken, is it definitely safe to reheat?

You've reminded me that I've seen mini-christmas puddings in Sainsburys too, so I'll investigate that. I'm not sure that my mum would be allowed to eat them because of the potential choking hazard of nuts etc. I wonder if there is festive flavoured icecream?

There's no need to re-heat a roast chicken ( or any roast ) I have Crimbo lunch at my friend's who live a twenty min drive away, every year ( getting into the tenth one ) I cook Sally ( friends daughter ) and I a free range chicken which I leave covered in tin foil I also wrap it in a large bath towel so there are a few layers thickness, this keeps it piping hot for a good two hours, you do lose the crispy skin though, I also did this with the roast tatties minus the tin foil as that would make the tatties soggy, if you just use tea towels and then towels it lets the steam out but the heat in, they don't keep as hot for as long as the chicken but it is possible.

slice your cooked meat or chicken up and heat it up gravy and it wil stay moist. Just ensure the meat is hot.

What about a yule log instead of Christmas pud for your mum.

Fabulous thank you. The yule log appeals to me too, as a non-pudding eater!

There's no need to re-heat a roast chicken ( or any roast ) I have Crimbo lunch at my friend's who live a twenty min drive away, every year ( getting into the tenth one ) I cook Sally ( friends daughter ) and I a free range chicken which I leave covered in tin foil I also wrap it in a large bath towel so there are a few layers thickness, this keeps it piping hot for a good two hours, you do lose the crispy skin though, I also did this with the roast tatties minus the tin foil as that would make the tatties soggy, if you just use tea towels and then towels it lets the steam out but the heat in, they don't keep as hot for as long as the chicken but it is possible.

Brilliant - they are about 15 minutes away so this is really useful! I could have the veg ready chopped and cook it when I get there. Thank you.

Karen , if you PM your address Sirius will send you a Dogstar Pudding for your parents , they can be microwaved ( the pud not mum and dad )

That is a really kind thought from you and Sirius, thank you so much :flowers:

I do already have a Dogstar pudding sitting in my cupboard :biggrin: which I will microwave in the event of my mum being allowed to eat it. It is only this week that she has been allowed to start eating mostly normal food as the swallow reflex is apparently often damaged in people who have had a stroke. If she isn't allowed proper pudding then I think we will all have something different and eat the Dogstar pudding a bit later.

Unfortunately my mum has fallen today and bashed her head (not a good idea for someone who already has brain damage!) so not sure yet how that will affect her prospects for being home for a least a few hours on christmas day.