UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Christmas Gift Ideas

kittycat

I'd like to get my Mother something for Christmas, but I'm at a loss what to get her!

She's practically deaf and doesn't like music. She's very much blind so books and DVDs are a no go. She has no interests, hobbies, she's doesn't like perfume, smelly stuff or clothes. I bought her a cardigan last year which she immediately gave to the lady in the next hospital bed! Chocolates, booze and such are also a no go due to her health.

So what do you buy someone who likes zilch and is bed ridden?

I'm blind and have very little hearing - I use audio books and love them, they are much better than the TV which can be frustrating when you can't hear/see what is going on :)

As she is blind your local SS should be able to arrange for her to get a book reader and a subscription to the RNIB audiobook library which is fab, they send you upto 6 books on disk and once done with them you simply shove them back in the post (free of charge) and they send a replacement :)

Alternatively I like tactile puzzles which can be as challenging or simple as you like..

I work for Calibre Audio Library - a national charity providing FREE audio books by post to people who can't read print. We have over 19000 members - many are visually impaired but Calibre also helps people with severe dyslexia and other disablities like MS where they may not be able to hold a book.

We offer books on MP3 CD, USB memory stick & we still do cassettes too for visually impaired members. There are 8000 titles in the library.

Apologies for the plug, but it is with good intention. If we can help then please let me know. As I said, our service is free - you just need to buy a suitable player which we can advise on. There are some excellent players for memory sticks which are only about £30.

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

CRB she chose a sponsor child in Haiti for Christmas.

I tested the water with the audio books and she wasn't very keen.

In the end I went with the electric blanket and she said she wanted a pressure cooker. Even when I ( who does all the cooking) said I wouldn't use it!