UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Timetable For Winter Walk

Fee

We may have got off lightly compared to some places with not much snow here, but it is arctic out there today with a freezing north wind.

Timetable for today's walk went something like:

Get into winter gear (several layers, scarf, hat gloves, coat, *new* fur lined snow boots with non-slip treads - 10 minutes

(OH doing similar but simultaneously)

Get Sophie, Taz, Benji and Meg into fleeces then waterproofs - 10 minutes

Catch Jess who is doing kangaroo impersonation. Finally get fleece on - 5 minutes

Catch Jess again and get waterproof on - 5 minutes

Catch Jess again and get padded boots on - 5 minutes

Check key, poo bags, treats, tissues. Forgotten phone. Remove *new* fur lined snow boots, get phone, put boots back on - 5 minutes

Get leads on Sophie, Taz, Benji and Meg - 2 minutes

Catch Jess and get lead on - 3 minutes

Pick way very carefully 20 yards down frozen pavement. Realise that *new* fur lined snow boots are great in snow but totally useless on ice angry.gif - 10 minutes

Freeze arse off walking round bleak fields in arctic wind - 45 minutes

Slide home along icy pavement - 10 minutes

Check Sophie, Jess & Taz's paws for ice and grit, clean off - 5 minutes

Pick lots of small, hard ice-balls off Meg's legs and between her pads - 5 minutes

Attempt to persuade Benji to let me touch his feet without taking my fingers off (failed) - 10 minutes

Give up and stand Benji in shallow bowl of water, dry off and hope for the best - 5 minutes

Find places to dry off 10 damp dog coats + 1 pair soaking dog boots - 5 minutes

Total activity time = 2 hrs 20 minutes

Oh for summer walks where you can stuff keys in pocket, clip leads on and go wacko.gif

Fee you should have a blog thats sooo funny laugh.gif

seriously I feel your pain I really do , I get dressed in my dogwalking gear which involves a set of long johns and thermal long sleeved vest in Gerties room ( its our dining room but we don;t have a table and Gertie lives there )

the look Gertie gives me each day as I struggle to get and out of this extra layer is basically her "which village is missing an idiot because you are here" look

Oh, I do sympathise, Fee.

Murphy has the most annoying ear-piercing, screamy bark that he does when we're getting ready to go for a walk. I can cope with one of them, but if we take a long time to get ready and he gets so wound up that he fits in more than one, I could quite happily strangle him. :devil: And it's so much worse when you're togged up to cope with the weather and are feeling very hot and bothered!

Edited by JoT

Are you all still getting out for walks ! ?ohmy.gif....snow's so deep here we can't get to the stubble field which is about 100 yards along the road, roads are too dangerous to drive onto any side roads, we're having to make do with the field across the road, even there if the Staffies venture off the track I've made, I have to go and rescue them, the snow's up to their necks rolleyes.gif. Somebody tell me I'm not the only one stuck at home mellow.gif

Ours haven't had a proper walk since the weekend so you're not the only one. We're struggling with just letting Tricks out on the garden because he gets lost (blind and deaf and he can't feel his usual markers) so it's a nightmare letting him out in the dark. The snow's well above welly height too so I hate having to go out to rescue him.

It's snowing hard again here so I'm dreading what we're going to wake up to.

:laugh: like mad at Fee's timetable.

Another one not walking here, Whuppety Jake is more of an indoor dog so thinks it's great :biggrin:

Our timetable consists of ten minutes trying to coax him out of his comfy, double duvet-lined high sided dog bed, then five minutes putting on his long boots and coat (while he shivers dramatically), then five minutes actually walking at a snail's pace, looking like the dog with nothing to live for. As soon as he's had a wee and a poo he turns round and takes off like a racing snake for home :rolleyes:

we are doing 2 sets of walks each morning and evening as GS has hurt her ankle very badly and we are taking Gracie Squirrel out for her, I am staying wrapped up in my squillion layers and going straight from one house to the other in the morning

I don't think I could face getting dressed twice !

I took Ben along to the stubble field last night to see what the pavement was like, just about impassable, I could walk on the road but it's just to dangerous to walk on it with dogs, it's so busy, thank god for the other field or we wouldn't get out at all