UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

That Perennial Old Favorite

cycas

Just got Mollydog's medical insurance renewal reminder from Axa. Last year it was £312 : this year she was 11 years old in September - and it's £622.10! That's more than my car insurance!

Again, the dilemma: do I pay it for the peace of mind (and after all, the insurance was good to have when she knackered her leg and needed all that work done to fix it!) , or put the money in a savings account and hope? I guess it's the leg claim last year that has pushed things skywards, though it may just be the age. Greyhound lifespan averages about 12-14 years, but she's in really good condition, so probably has at least one more year of looning about (or in insurance terms 'potential damage') ahead. Dread to think what next year's premium might be...

Az's premium when he was 11 was just £180 - because he is a modest crossbreed rather than having a pedigree : he's now 12(ish, probably).

I rang them and asked if I could put the excess up, but apparently any change to the policy would make it even more expensive. Not sure how they gauge risk, but I went through her details with them, and discovered that they had her down as unspayed. ohmy.gif I would have thought an unspayed 11 year old bitch would be a considerably greater insurance risk than a spayed one, but even changing that didn't help.

Crikey, that's steep.

Neither of ours were/are insured, mainly because the premiums on older dogs are so high. When Tess was ill with the collapsed disks in her spine last year, the total bill, including the pet crematorium, was over £1000. We've decided to take the risk, and scrape/borrow the money should we get any huge bills. Jake's corn removal plus endless trips to the vet during his recovery has totalled about £400 so far, and we're not finished yet.

It's so hard to decide what's best.

Try £815.88 as the renewal for a 9yr old lurcher - cos thats what M&S are charging for Nog :wacko: it's going to cost me £67.99 a month as of December with the added bonus of having to now pay an annual excess of £70 plus 20% of all claims. Thats more than any insurances we pay whether for cars or our own life insurances!

Yes we had a big claim over his leg, but that was a complete flukey accident which we hope will never occur again, it's not like he's ever had any condition or claims previously and having been scanned and tested up the ruddy ying yang during his treatment we and the vets know that he's in tip top health no signs of anything nasty lurking anywhere.

We haven't insured ours for years. Just keep a separate account with regular input and hope the amount built up over time will pay for whatever might be needed. So far this has worked fine but we have only had oldies for years and not needed much beyond one broken leg, corns, dentals and the odd Xray, lump removal etc. With younger dogs which play and charge around a lot more so there is more chance of nasty accidents needing major expenditure, I'm not sure how it would work out.

Just got Mollydog's medical insurance renewal reminder from Axa. Last year it was £312 : this year she was 11 years old in September - and it's £622.10! That's more than my car insurance!

Again, the dilemma: do I pay it for the peace of mind (and after all, the insurance was good to have when she knackered her leg and needed all that work done to fix it!) , or put the money in a savings account and hope? I guess it's the leg claim last year that has pushed things skywards, though it may just be the age. Greyhound lifespan averages about 12-14 years, but she's in really good condition, so probably has at least one more year of looning about (or in insurance terms 'potential damage') ahead. Dread to think what next year's premium might be...

Az's premium when he was 11 was just £180 - because he is a modest crossbreed rather than having a pedigree : he's now 12(ish, probably).

I rang them and asked if I could put the excess up, but apparently any change to the policy would make it even more expensive. Not sure how they gauge risk, but I went through her details with them, and discovered that they had her down as unspayed. ohmy.gif I would have thought an unspayed 11 year old bitch would be a considerably greater insurance risk than a spayed one, but even changing that didn't help.

That is one price hike for Mollydog!

Our 3 were all down as unneutered, so they have hopefully changed that now. We were also told neutering makes no difference to premiums which sounds ridiculous to me. Our excess went up to 75 pounds and Molly (the eldest, now 8) has the cheapest premium of all 3! Apparently they do take into account previous claims. However being crossbreeds they come in cheaper than the pedigrees.