UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dog Coats Desperately Needed At St Giles

zico's mum

Grandma Squirrel is on the case and will be sending some coats and neck warmers for the Sighthounds , she is happy to make coats for other breeds but would need a pattern if anyone could lend us one

there are several here http://knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/pets.php

or do a google search for knitted dog sweaters patterns

we have 6 lovely hound coats and matching neck warmers to post off in the next few days , i will post some photos here of Gracie and Noah who have been the models so far

once they are done we are going to look at staffy coats but neither mum or I have any experience in making staffy sized anythings so that may take a while

Have had this pattern posted if anyone is handy with a sewing machine? The person posting said she made the straps on side longer to cope with the wider staffie girth.I'm hopeless at sewing but it may make sense to someone who could have a go?

""I based a coat off this pattern which you could make to have straps as long as necessary. I made mine with just the one strap across the chest and one under the belly, both going all the way across to the other side rather than meeting in the middle - with a long strip of velcro on both the strap and the side of the coat, it could be fairly adjustable in terms of fitting most chest/belly sizes.

http://www.finedivingchicago.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/dog-coat-pattern.pdf

Edit: something like this:"

dogcoat.gif

Have you tried posting on freecycle?? you might get some, alternatively, some kind person might see it and do an appeal. I'm doing an appeal for a local homeless drop in centre as some of the visitors (clients?customers? not sure what you call them) have dogs and they don't have any protection against the cold and they live out in it all year round. Also, do you have a local uni/college that has a fashion department? - the student union volunteer co-ordinator might find some students who would make dog coats, and lastly, do you have a local volunteer organisation - they too might be able to help.

Good luck - hate to think of any poor doglets coping with this awful weather - bad enough being in a pound, but to be freezing and in a pound is sooooo miserable.

• 2 weeks later...

we have been delayed posting due to the snow but we are getting ready to post our donations now

all made by Grandma Squirrel

x 2 red hound coats

IMG_0377.jpg

x 2 green hound coats

IMG_0376.jpg

x 3 blue hound coats

IMG_0375.jpg

some neck warmers

IMG_0379.jpg

and a few hand knitted ones

IMG_0378.jpg

we have 7 sighthound coats and a small selection of handknitted coats