UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

You'll Probably Think I'm Stupid

oscarsmum

Alex is the Lhasa who has been with us for a week on Sunday - doing well, doesnt like rain, or his space invaded, but settling in well and all getting to know each other. Marley the (BIG) weimaraner has been booked to come here for months (his mum is off to spain for a week, and he usually comes here prob twice a year whilst she's away). When we agreed to take Alex on, we'd originally planned that Alex would go to kennels for the week that Marley was here, as weren't confident about having them both here (for fear of not getting on mainly, the massive size difference, size of our house, etc...). We put Alex in the car on Sunday to take him to kennels, and ended up turning around - it didnt seem fair; he'd done nothing wrong, was just settling in and probably would be more confused than ever going to kennels. We thought - lets just try and see how they get on. Marley turned up on Sunday afternoon, both leads on as introduced in the house to each other, lots of sniffing and wagging tails - so far so good. Alex has snapped at Marley a few times, and Marley (bless him) is the softest lump i have ever known, so goes to all lengths not to upset Alex, wont keep eye contact, keeps out of his way. Marley barked last night (a big deep sonorous WOOOF) at a noise outside and Alex ran into the sofa in shock (mustnt laugh but it was funny). I dont think Alex means to "attack" its just a warning or maybe fear thing, but he does it even if Marley dares to keep eye contact for too long. I'm trying my best to give equal attention, but whereas Marley is a real cuddle monster, and will follow you and come sit on you for strokes and cuddles, Alex isnt like that so he still gets stroked etc when he comes for one, but not as much as Marley... As i type, they're both laid on their sofas - Marley next to me and Alex opposite - Alex is sleeping and Marley is surreptitiously sneaking looks at Alex whilst his eyes are closed. Hope you dont think we're totally daft for trying to do this - just didnt want Alex to have to go to kennels. Marley is only here for a week, thank goodness Mark is off work this week with the pair of them (dont think we would have attempted this otherwise!) PS - Alex hates the rain and Marley hates the dark so lots of walking at the moment!

P1000368.jpg

P1000355.jpg

P1000369.jpg

Day 2 in the big dog / little dog household! i think they've reached "an understanding" Thanks for your comments :flowers: Doing our best - this 2 dog thing is new to us! They both seem happy at the mo. Its just hard because they're such different characters! its all calm now, both snoozing :wub:

Edited by oscarsmum