UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Sweetie The Rottweiler

Mese

Ive looked into the PDSA , but as we dont claim anything we dont qualify for help ... and theres no way we can afford to get him done ourselves

Gypsy was still aggressive towards him this morning , even with Sweetie in a crate she kept snarling and wouldnt touch her breakfast until I put him in the garden , and even then she kept turning and looking and didnt finish her meal

Now this is the weird part .... put all the dogs in the garden together and they will all just ignore each other and wander about , bring them into the house and Gypsy becomes nervous & unhappy because Sweetie keeps boxing her into a corner and then it all kicks off again

The garden is fenced , but its on the street and I cant leave them out there unsupervised

Mounting can be just excitement and is often seen when pups play.

Neutering will help if it is sexual, but my neutered dog used to hump my bitch, and one of my neutered bitches humped other bitches.

He may settle down once the original excitement of his new environment wares off but in the meantime distract him when he shows any signs of it. Often the hips start before they actually mount or if you see him boxing her in a corner. If simple distraction for a toy etc doesn't work then a firm 'leave her' and lead him away to something else - not as a correction but a distraction.

When you want to leave him in crate try giving him a stuffed kong to keep him occupied. Frozen ones last longer.

I expect he finds his new situation rather stimulating and doesn't really know how to behave.

I'd guess his mounting is just play, unfortunately although he's obviously a lovely boy he doesn't seem to know how to play appropriately and your other dog telling him off is just making him more determined to try and make friends with her. I've never had a humper so don't know what would or wouldn't work, I can only suggest interrupting the behaviour and re-directing him onto a toy. Try mailing either Purple Mog or Khanu I think they are both trainers.

Sweeties original owner was married to my friends brother.... she was a very very domineering woman & , if im honest , my friend was wary of her

Anyway , Its because of my friend that Sweetie is now here with me

I called her this morning and explained the situation (re : neutering) and as she is eligible to claim for PDSA help thats what she is going to do ... she's going into the vets near here that work with the PDSA tomorrow to ask about getting Sweetie done (she still calls him Tyson , which I hate and is confusing him a little)

I know its underhand her claiming he is with her while awaiting a rescue place , but it really is in Sweeties best interests to have this op and it will save any rescue from having to pay the costs

I've just had a surprise phone call

My Daughter just rang , her and her Fiance saw pics of Sweetie and have fell in love and want him ... I know that they have been discussing getting a dog for the last few months , and according to Jean they sat down last night and went through every single aspect of owning Sweetie , vets bills , insurance , food , etc etc

Im 95% ok with the idea ... Jean only works 3 hours a day (so Sweetie would only be in a crate for that short length of time on his own) , Grant does work long hours but is dedicated to training Sweetie. Money isnt a problem

They do have two young kids (my Kidlets , lol) 8 and 5 ... but both of them are dog savvy having being brought up since they were babies living here with my three nutters , infact my Grandaughter has a Rottweiler , called Diesel , at her other Grandparents house and loves the breed ... and Jeans aware that Sweetie is bouncy and boistrous and knows she'd have to take a lot of care there , and knows never to leave the kids & dog alone

They both know he needs a lot of training and ive said if i agree to them having him one condition is that they enroll him in some kind of training school which they agreed on , infact Jean is all for that.

Its Jean who will be primary trainer, and I know she's good with dogs cos she is fantastic with my three dogs and always has been

Im still 5% wary though ... mainly because of how bouncy Sweetie is (they actually like the name Tyson so will be keeping that as his name :( ) he could easily damage one of the kids sending them flying

A big bonus is that id be able to see him grow up though :)

I rang the other Grandparents tonight and explained the situation and they agree with me that its a good idea , and seeing as they know the breed they are coming around tomorrow to do some work with him and show me how to train him up :biggrin:

Just had a major bust-up between Gypsy and Sweetie , with Toffee joining in to protect Gypsy and Teddy barking at the sidelines ... oh yeah , and me in the middle trying to stop Sweetie from hassling Gypsy

Basically , he hasnt stopped trying to hump her today , this time he backed her into a corner and tried again , she really went for him , he just kept on trying (I think its more a game to him , but Gypsy is seriously getting stressed by him now) Gypsy went nuts , Toffee went for Sweetie (defending Gypsy) I managed to get sweetie into his crate , he's there now whining like mad :(

Many dogs will hump when stressed, Sweetie has only just joined your gang and will be very stressed. When taking on a new dog I always give then new dog and my established dogs Rescue Remedy for about a week, this gives them a better start.

When we first took Samantha on, she was a Rough Collie/Lab, she knocked them all over like skittles, the oldest was 5, youngest 3, yes she did on occasion knock them over but they were never hurt. My sons grew up with Sam, she was their shadow, she taught them so much.

Edited by Mrs Mop