UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Please Meet Duke

cycas

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a walk with my elderly mother and her three dogs yesterday, so it was six of them and two of us - all off lead.

All of the dogs apart from Duke were over 10 years old, so it wasn't exactly the most riotous and athletic of walks - but when we got home the big lummox was so worn out I had to half-pull half-lift him out of the car, he wouldn't stand up!

He is now seizing the opportunity for a post-breakfast snooze. :rolleyes: He's so snoozy for a 5-6 year old, I'm sure Mollydog had three times his energy levels at his age. But perhaps this will change as he gains condition. He is already looking a lot chunkier but his ribs are still rather more prominent than I would like.

He looks just like my Josie. :ohmy:

Greyhound_Harleypark_Susie.jpg

He does! Is Josie a big lummox with Giant Feet too or is she a mini version ?

Mollydog is very keen for me to say that this photo was taken just before she overtook Duke and that she is in fact MUCH faster than any silly boy lurchers, even if they are six years younger than she is. :rolleyes:

Not being a racing dog, I don't think Duke actually knew that Mollydog thought it was a competition, but he had a lot of fun joining in anyway.

0006kf69.jpg

He is doing really well with the cats, is great with horses and cows too, not at all phased by busy locations or road noise, loves people of all sexes, sizes and ages. Adores most other dogs, though he's a bit full-on for little ones and occasionally takes a bit of a grump if meeting another male.

That said, he's been great with Az, who can also sometimes be a bit iffy with entire boy dogs, but has decided Duke is the best thing since sliced bread: this morning all three of them were playing pointy dog mouth games and twining necks.

Suma Bungle has decided he wants to play with him - though at the moment I'm not allowing that. rolleyes.gif Bungles can be awfully blonde at times...

At the moment he has a few minor imperfections:

1) his recall is really pants - he doesn't want to run away, he just doesn't get the whole 'coming when called' thing. Which is fine if you have another dog with good recall to bring him in and plenty of space and time, but he needs to know how to do it for himself properly.

2) he is not happy about being left (unless you walk him till he can't keep his eyes open. )

3) He's still got rather nasty skin and is very scurfy (improving but takes a while I think)

4) TESTICLES! He's probably put on enough weight to lose these soon.

So a bit of work left to do yet but we are getting there. I'm so pleased the cat thing has gone so well, I really didn't expect him to get to this stage quite so quickly.

Dear Fugees.

Perl the cat here. I have agreed to do some typing for Duke (or as he calls himself : Dook).

Unfortunately he is unable to tell you himself, as his paws are too big to type with (To tell the truth, I suspect him of being quite illiterate, but he blames the paws). I have engaged 'Dook' to carry out certain security operations on my behalf relating to the unfortunate presence of large brown cats in my house, and therefore feel an employer's obligation to a somewhat slow but basically goodnatured employee.

Ahem. He says:

" I did do a walk and I find a BADGER and it was DEAD and SMELLY!!!! And I grabbed the BADGER and it's insides came out! And I whirled it about all over and did a dead good dance with it! And bits of BADGER flew out in all directions and there was blood and kidneys and stuff!!!! Everyone got some! IT WAS BRILLIANT!!!!!!!

But they took it away from me in the end, which was mean cos I was having such a great time with it. "

I wasn't present for this episode myself, thankfully, as it sounds very messy and illdisciplined, but he seemed to think you would enjoy it.

Best Regards

PERL.

Yeuchhhh sick01.gif

Perl - please tell Duke that playing with dead things may be enormous fun, but is likely to cause a certain amount of disapproval amongst his humans, and is unlikely to earn him many sossijes.

It could even result in a dreaded bath run4hills.gif

He did dodge a bath after the badger incident, but has had another today as the lure of some evil green stuff proved just too much and he coated himself in it!

The testicles will be on their way next week, he's booked in for Monday so please wish him well.

I had a bit of a scare with him a few days ago when he decided that he was going to have a go at another dog we met out walking.

I've been doing lots of (very careful) meeting up since then with dogs of all shapes and sizes, and it looks as if he may have a bit of a grouch issue specifically with black and white sprollies. Liver and white Springers are OK, collies are OK (though a little cautious) but male Sprollies are apparently the Work of the Devil. wacko.gif

At least I now know this needs some work!

funny isn't it how some dogs just don't like specific types/colours :unsure: :unsure: my lad began with just black labs being the work of the devil but progressed to all dogs...understandably though, my girl hates white dogs :unsure:

i hope his furry plum removal goes splendidly and i also hope he decideds rolling in nasties and baths aren't fun either :laugh: