UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Doggie Holiday

BillyMalc

Last week we went on an "activity holiday", organised by Sheila Harper, near Cannock. It was themed "Nose work and Social Skills", and consisted of talks on the subjects and, of course, practising both the nose work and the social skills with your dog(s). Both Kiera and Sparky enjoyed the nose work in particular:

Kiera tracking a "missing" person. The person involved would leave an item of clothing, like a jumper, behind and then hide somewhere:

DSCF0798.jpg

"Found you!" :)

DSCF0799.jpg

After we had repeated it another 2 times, Kiera became quite worried about leaving this person behind: she could obviously not look after herself if she kept going missing! :laugh:

Highlight of the week was the treasure hunt on the last day. A trail was made around the woods at Cannock Chase, with different stations with things for the dogs to do, in order to find the hidden treats. One REALLY nice thing was the "Treat Tree": treats are stuck in a tree, obviously no higher than that dogs could reach. Dogs are usually used to finding treats on the ground, so they have to adjust their focus, away from the ground, to find the treats. Great fun! :biggrin:

Treats on the ground and at the bottom of the tree to start off with:

DSCF0815.jpg

Then a bit higher:

DSCF0817.jpg

And they ended up nearly climbing the tree!

DSCF0820.jpg

Kiera took the term "cheese wedge" to another level, by getting wedged into a tree while looking for cheese :laugh:

"Hmmm, I'm stuck. Oh well, I can still get to the cheese, so never mind!"

DSCF0810.jpg

DSCF0812.jpg

Kiera did get unstuck at the end, and continued to find another treat in a haystack:

DSCF0823.jpg

"Wassat? Can we eat it?"

DSCF0824.jpg

We stayed at a campsite a few miles up the road. Our little abode for the week:

DSCF0760.jpg

Kiera having a cheeky snooze:

DSCF0762.jpg

On "guard duty" :wub:

DSCF0801.jpg

There were fantastic dog walks right behind the campsite: through the gate and you were in the woods! :)

DSCF0754.jpg

... where there was lots to sniff and see:

DSCF0722.jpg

But watch out! Demon dogs about - aaaarrgghh!!! :ohmy:

DSCF0739.jpg

Ra-ra-ra-raaahhhh!!

DSCF0740.jpg

Love this picture :wub:

DSCF0772.jpg

The Hednesford Hills were right behind the training venue, and of course there was lots to sniff, plenty of space to go "ra-ra-raaaahh", and even to roach simultaneously! :)

DSCF0795.jpg

DSCF0788.jpg

We came home absolutely knackered, but have all recovered nicely, and I'm really looking forward to do more nose work with the guys :)

I looked at these holidays a while ago but wasnt sure about them. Looks like they are fantastic for the dogs. :biggrin: Cannock Chase is brilliant dog walking country (as long as you can pre-empt the mountain bikers):rolleyes: We really must get a walk arranged there. Wonder what Leslie is upto. I havent seen her on here for a while.