UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

To Do Lists - Advice Needed

I really need some form of to do list to help me with Dogstar , either online or on my laptop but not sure where to go next

I am forever remembering emails / PMs/Facebook messages etc I am meant to have answered plus my day to day dogstar tasks

I have a gmail account and use a mac running snow leopard , have mobile me subscription and a iphone if any of that helps

does anyone have any tips or ideas on how best to keep all my "to do's" in one place

Thanks

I use the task list in microsoft outlook as I mainly use my works laptop and it's mainly work related stuff in my to do lists. I like it as I can add things by just flagging an email message and I can also put priorities against them so as my list grows (it never seems to get shorter very often) I know exactly which ones need dealing with first.

I've also found it helps blocking things in on the calendar on outlook too, so if I know I need x amount of time to do something each day (for me it's work related admin stuff that has to be done each day) I've blocked in 1/2 and hour every week day after lunch when I do that. It reminds me just before so i can't go a week and completely forget to do it at all, and if I'm too busy with something else that day it doesn't matter so much as I keep on top it much better by having an appointment each day.

I've started doing the same with non-work stuff like the dogs training classes, reminders to organise treats for said classes, blocking in time for runs/bike rides etc. I've found that as I've got busier and busier I need to timetable stuff in and try and stick to it, so if it's now time to do college work I stop what I was doing and do that for whatever time I've set and so on. Just a teeny tiny bit anal but it has meant that I feel like I have more time as I'm not thinking about what I need to do all the time and wondering how I'll fit it in.

Don't know if there is anything similar you can run on a mac as I've never ever used one (but thinking of getting one as my personal laptop has pretty much died now). I think this system only works for me though as I spend a huge amount of time in front of my laptop during the working week and I also leave my works blackberry on which is synchronised so I get the reminders still when I'm not at the laptop - I forward calls to a different number though when I'm not actually on work time as I learnt that lesson at 2am one morning.....

I use my Outlook To Do list to some extent, but generally find it easier just to have a Word document which I keep open all the time I'm on the computer and where I add things as they crop up. Anything particularly urgent is red, anything important but not urgent is bold - it's not very sophisticated but it works for me!

You could set up a Google Docs account so you can access it from any computer, and keep a 'To Do' list there. You can also add a Google Calendar which will send reminders of any deadlines.

I use my email inbox as a todo list. Anyone wants me to do stuff, either they email me, or if they communicate some other way, I send myself an email. Then I file the emails once actioned.

I have Google Calendar set up to send me email reminders of anything I have booked to do at a specific time.

Edited by cycas

I use a combination of outlook for repetitive same time every month or quarter jobs (customers payroll, VAT etc) plus a list split into days on Word (great for easily moving the order of things to do) plus Google Calendar which sends me reminders when rabbits need dental checks or moving to/from the rescue.

Edited by Karen

I like pen and paper. A little notebook (well about A5) that I can take everywhere with me so I can jot things down as and when I remember them!

Me too although I use mobile me and my iphone as well and then still forget things unless they are written in my notebook or diary :rolleyes:

I have tried bits of paper, Blackberry, Palm, Rolodex, the to-do list on my Nokia, Filofax and several different free online organisers. Can't tell you if the online ones are any good as I can't get the hang of using any of them.

And the clear leader is ...

a fully tiled bathroom and a set of felt tips :laugh:

I have tried bits of paper, Blackberry, Palm, Rolodex, the to-do list on my Nokia, Filofax and several different free online organisers. Can't tell you if the online ones are any good as I can't get the hang of using any of them.

And the clear leader is ...

a fully tiled bathroom and a set of felt tips :laugh:

My OH thought I was mad when I suggested washable felt tips in the bathroom...I might have to follow your lead. I get many of my "ah must remember that thoughts in the shower...and forget them when I get out!"

What felt tips do you use?

x