UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Books Versus E-Readers

JulesB

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lurve my e-reader, it was my first day of using it on the train today - I find it so comfortable to hold and the screen is brilliant even in bright light/sunlight.

I felt very sorry for all the people on the train with their paper books laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm a little late to chip in with my opinion but I've had the sony prs600 for a couple of months now and it's grrrrrreat. So much easier than lugging half a dozen books in my suitcase on the train. I've never had a problem with reading it in sunlight either.

I looked at the Kindle but reviews on the internet comparing them almost always came out in favour of the sony

I have no experience of e readers but love audio books. I also have arthritis so holding larger books, particularly hardbacks gets sore after a while.I love listening to books on long journeys - I suppose this could be the grown up version of having stories when Iwas a child!

I have no experience of e readers but love audio books. I also have arthritis so holding larger books, particularly hardbacks gets sore after a while.I love listening to books on long journeys - I suppose this could be the grown up version of having stories when Iwas a child!

I just downloaded an audiobook from WestBerks library and am listening to the BBC 2007 edition of War Of The Worlds as I'm typing this post :biggrin: - I've also found this site: Free Audio Books lots of free downloadable audio books on there.

• 4 months later...

I have been looking at the Kindle for myself as I liked the idea of being able to make text bigger but then I found out that "bigger" only means size 12 font, which isn't that much bigger than normal font, I also decided against one on the basis that very very few of the types of books I read are available as ebooks, and it'll be a while (if ever) before they are available and ebooks are no different in price to "proper" books so I'd be forking out £149 for nothing - I could buy another couple of book shelves for that and fill them with books (tho hubby would kill me :laugh: ).

I'm going to wait til they are cheaper and more of the types of books I read are available.

Sooooo barely 5 months later and I find myself the owner of a Kindle :laugh: much research has gone into the availablity of books from alternative sources :wink: and to my utter amazement I found thousands and thousands of books I like, already own or wanted but didn't like the price or fancied having a look at but not enough to actually buy them to read etc. all can be converted to be read by the Kindle :wink:

I also decided I didn't really need the 3G version as I am highly unlikely to ever want to download any books away from home and in the unlikely event I ever did wanna do so all I need do is find a wifi hotspot and use that, so that saved me £41 whilst having net access would have been nice looking at the smallprint of the 3G it's only "free" to connect to Amazon everything else you have to pay for ...so I can live without it or use free hotspots or connect via other peoples wifis.

What I didnt realise because I focussed primarily on the book reading aspects were that it also plays audio books and mp3's! So I can listen to music whilst reading which is a nice touch, nor did I realise I could actually connect to my facebook and twitter from the kindle and I've even been on Refuge from the Kindle (tho it's black and white and paiiiiiinfully slowwwwww).

It IS going to take some getting used to, and it's early days but me and hubby have reached an agreement that if I really dont get on with it and prefer really real books he'll buy it off me :biggrin:

btw: Kindle does now support pdf format and there are loads and loads of mobi converters out there so there really isn't a format you couldn't convert to work on the Kindle.

Sooooo barely 5 months later and I find myself the owner of a Kindle :laugh: much research has gone into the availablity of books from alternative sources :wink: and to my utter amazement I found thousands and thousands of books I like, already own or wanted but didn't like the price or fancied having a look at but not enough to actually buy them to read etc. all can be converted to be read by the Kindle :wink:

I also decided I didn't really need the 3G version as I am highly unlikely to ever want to download any books away from home and in the unlikely event I ever did wanna do so all I need do is find a wifi hotspot and use that, so that saved me £41 whilst having net access would have been nice looking at the smallprint of the 3G it's only "free" to connect to Amazon everything else you have to pay for ...so I can live without it or use free hotspots or connect via other peoples wifis.

What I didnt realise because I focussed primarily on the book reading aspects were that it also plays audio books and mp3's! So I can listen to music whilst reading which is a nice touch, nor did I realise I could actually connect to my facebook and twitter from the kindle and I've even been on Refuge from the Kindle (tho it's black and white and paiiiiiinfully slowwwwww).

It IS going to take some getting used to, and it's early days but me and hubby have reached an agreement that if I really dont get on with it and prefer really real books he'll buy it off me :biggrin:

btw: Kindle does now support pdf format and there are loads and loads of mobi converters out there so there really isn't a format you couldn't convert to work on the Kindle.

I had an e-reader for my birthday last year. It's very addictive :laugh: I've just got an ipod and kindle books can be downloaded to that too, surprisingly clear for it's size.