UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Insect Repellant

Mags

Dear Fugees

About a year or so ago, someone (I think Rumpole but I'm not 100% sure) put up a recipe for human insect repellant using essential oils. At the time, I wrote it down and put it in a safe place, so safe that now I can't find it :rolleyes:

At this time of year I am fodder for something and I'm itching all over. I can't bring the dogs along the canal so they get a boring on-lead road walk (which is no mean feat on narrow country roads). I can't even spend time in my lovely greenhouse and I daren't go swimming as I look diseased :mecry:

Does anyone remember this recipe?

Regards

Itchy in Ireland :bigerm:

I don't remember a recipe, but I do remember a thread discussing the SAS using an Avon product as an insect repellant! Have had a quick google and it looks like it's called Skin So Soft.

That'll be Skin So Soft Bath Oil - which they now do as an Oil Body Spray. It actually smells rather nice IMO!

Mags, if you are being eaten by whatever was eating me in Spiddal, you have my every sympathy - I still have the scars to show for it! Have to say we resorted to some tropical insect repellent which was on sale at a not particularly cheap price in Supervalu - it did seem to deter the blighters, although not completely - if you want the name of it I can dig it out and let you know.

I'm fascintated by the idea of something I can make myself though ......

Living in the far north of Scotland we have a fair few midges.

Also, my husband goes target shooting up in the hills where midges abound. What do they do when there is nobody there?

This year my husband found Smidge http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/ and is raving about it. He says it is better than skin so soft.

If you do get bitten an insect bite zapper is a godsend. http://www.roamingfox.co.uk/Zapper-Click-Bite-Relief-pr-16299.html

My vet recommended them to me, after he used them on a trip to Africa.

I react very badly to insect bites which recur for several weeks, dying down and then flaring up again. The zapper really does work. I now carry one in my bag, although i find it is still effective if you cannot use it immediately.

I bought mine in Boots.

Thanks Karen. Gosh that search on here turns up a lot of results :laugh: I remember it being discussed alright. But I like the idea of something I can make up myself and as I have a collection of essential oils, I thought I might have the ingredients to hand so could get back to my canal walk asap.

Mrs B, I'm highly embarrassed by my lack of communication to you and surprised you're still talking to me :flowers: It must be the same blighters. I have two bites on the back of my right leg. Amputation keeps springing to mind :ohmy: Please dig out the name and let me know anyway. But would really like to make my own potion.

Living in the far north of Scotland we have a fair few midges.

Also, my husband goes target shooting up in the hills where midges abound. What do they do when there is nobody there?

This year my husband found Smidge http://2010.midgeforecast.co.uk/ and is raving about it. He says it is better than skin so soft.

If you do get bitten an insect bite zapper is a godsend. http://www.roamingfox.co.uk/Zapper-Click-Bite-Relief-pr-16299.html

My vet recommended them to me, after he used them on a trip to Africa.

I react very badly to insect bites which recur for several weeks, dying down and then flaring up again. The zapper really does work. I now carry one in my bag, although i find it is still effective if you cannot use it immediately.

I bought mine in Boots.

Blackmagic, following my above search where I came across posts about the zapper, I have ordered one from ebay :biggrin:

I think the recipe I refer to was posted in amidst an RMF so I haven't a hope of finding it :laugh:

Mrs B, I'm highly embarrassed by my lack of communication to you and surprised you're still talking to me :flowers: It must be the same blighters. I have two bites on the back of my right leg. Amputation keeps springing to mind :ohmy: Please dig out the name and let me know anyway. But would really like to make my own potion.

Yes, well, I've been out of things rather too. Messenger me-lady! (Occasionally even I remember to turn it on!)

Meanwhile, it's called Jungle Formula - think there's a 'Tropical' Jungle Formula too - but we just went to the 'normal' one.

Oh, and if you only have two bites, I'm not sure I'm speaking to you anyway. Step MIL and I were scratching in more places than I care to mention - I was slapping on Calamine Cream to try to counter the after effects.

i dont think it was me. though i do rave about neem oil as its insecticidal and an active ingredient in most insect repellents (and lice/mite treatment) and i do know how to make it into a spray for fleas or for on plants to get rid of garden pests. but im not sure id want to spray it on me as it smells like curried gherkins :laugh:

Think I'll give the curried gherkins a miss Mel :laugh: Apologies for mixing you up with someone else, but knowing me it could have been on a different forum :unsure:

My zapper arrived today. Ahhhh the relief. Although thankfully I don't have as many bites at the moment