UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bodysuits For Dogs - Help Needed

gremlin22

ok all you knowledgable fugees..

we have a dog in our rescue who has had severe mange. He has been treated and is now just waiting for the skin infections to clear up and the many many wounds on his skin to heal. unfortunatly it is driving him crazy and he is constantly scratching and is tearing his own skin!

we want to get him some sort of breathable full length bodysuit, not just to stop him damaging himself but also to keep the many scabby areas clean. It needs to be a fabric that wont catch on the scabs, it needs to be breathable so his skin heals right, and it needs to be comfortable to him.

i have found these on the net

http://www.k9topcoat.com/product.asp?specific=96

but they are only in the states

does anyone know of any uk vendors of these or can anyone make something similar themselves? the dog is a dally x lab but has the size and build of a dally. :unsure:

I don't know if he needs to have his legs covered, but I had one of these for Sophie to stop her getting at her stitches after a mammary tumour removal and they are very light, comfortable and allow the skin to breathe.

http://www.medicalpe...44uk_index.html

Equafleece also do a dog T-shirt that might help:

http://www.equafleece.co.uk/store/T-shirt_Dog_Suits.html

Edited by Fee

oo the equafleece looks interesting. that might work as it covers some of the legs at least. poor boy is such a state! when we get something sorted i'll try post a pic

ta fugees, i bow before your mighty awsomeness!

As an interim measure why not try stockinette (from painters shops) It comes in a huge tubular roll so you can just cutoff what you need , use and then dispose off

Whereabouts is the poor thing anyway , probably too far for me to make anything for you.

ordered the equafleece should be here tomorrow. he's in west yorks. will try post a piccie once he gets his new togs. he's had his test results today too, it wasn't mange it is some immune system disorder..poor boy. we're hoping meds will sort it.

ordered the equafleece should be here tomorrow. he's in west yorks. will try post a piccie once he gets his new togs. he's had his test results today too, it wasn't mange it is some immune system disorder..poor boy. we're hoping meds will sort it.

Oh poor thing. So it sounds like a dermatitis from autoimmune sytem failings. Look forward to the pic.

well the equafleece arrived monday..good old royal mail taking 4 days for a first class item..grr

here is some not so great piccies of the lovely ben in his new togs

ben2.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

hard to see it cos the equafleece does a good job of covering the poor boy, but aside from the bits on his face you can see the baldness on his tail and just see the bald bits poking through on the back legs..all his back is like that, poor lad. However he is now on steroids, antibiotics and tasty food so will hopefully be on the mend very soon.

ta fugees for all your help :biggrin:

Thanks for showing us. He does seem to like it. How is it working ? Does it stay inplace, without the harness?

The problem I have with my beast is that although we are well on top of the infections , we still have a long way to go on breaking the overlicking and scratting when bored habits.

yeah it stays on him pretty good. We leave it on him overnight and during the day when he is unattended. He occasionally manages to get one of his back legs out of it, but i think that's my fault as i ordered the biggest size going on the theory too big is better than too small. He seems to be healing well under it, slow process admittedly but getting there.The scratching has gone down lots, but he is on steroids as well so not sure which is having the most effect. Overall though it seems very good, doesn't seem to be making him too hot and itchy or anything.and he doesn't try and get it off or anything.we walk him on the harness becuase although you can't see it where he was wearing a collar he has no fur left :unsure:

so walking him on a lead is quite uncomfy for him as he pulls on the lead.

i would def recommend them to anyone else, just measure the dog right from the websites directions ( it's from the front of the collar round the neck to the base of tail). They have quite a lot of stretch in them and are very easy to fit. ta fugees for the recommendation :flowers: